The He Hua Buddhist Temple

I am taking a trip to Amsterdam in a couple of weeks, and I want to check out Buddhism in that country. As I perused the travel guides the name of this place came up. But as a Buddhist of the Theravada School -[hope that is the proper nomenclature]-I always check with this, my higher authority, before including it in my plans. Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you!

2 Likes

The temple has an informative website:

http://ibps.nl/home-2/

3 Likes

Yes, thank you. But I trust you all more than anything I find on the internet.:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Good point. I was in Hawaii in December and wanted to visit a Buddhist temple on the island I was visiting I learned about on the internet. No one was there on the several visits I made so I called a phone number associated with the temple. Someone called back and left a voice message on my cell phone saying that there was always someone at the temple. I was confused until I looked at the number and realized that the person was calling from a different (but affiliated) temple on one of the other islands!

4 Likes

It appears to be a Fo Guang Shan temple. They are originally from Taiwan and practice Humanistic Chinese Mahayana. There’s a bunch of branch temples all around the world. It’s a fairly large order. The temple itself will probably be lovely, and the people equally so. There’s one near-ish to me that I go to occasionally, although all the chanting is in Chinese.:smiley: and I don’t practice Mahayana, or Theravada for that matter, strictly speaking. You should go for the experience and post pics and stories for us!

3 Likes

A great idea, although to be honest I have begun to have second thoughts. Breathing has become a struggle, and Amsterdam is a city made for walking. Not to mention that I have been married for thirty eight years, and may not know how to be whole. I have to admit that I am torn between the risk and value. Still meditating on on the matter. Great idea. Thanks! :hugs:

3 Likes