🔉 The new Voice is finally there!

:laughing:

I’ve heard someone say, “you should teach people how to do it” … :thinking:

1 Like

It’s ironic because I love writing documentation and teaching people. I just don’t like reading documentation.

2 Likes

And you are also welcome to keep experimenting and ask questions here! :+1: :laughing:

2 Likes

When I post a link to a sutta in buddhist.stack.exchange, nobody reads my post. However when I post a segment link with the text, people do read my post. I don’t know what works for others. This is why we are very careful about usecases and ask for explanation of individual utility. I use segment links, not document links.

Ah! Good to know. I was wondering. Perfect. When some asks for the link icons for themselves we’ll be happy to add it. This strict discipline of acknowledging actual use is unconventional (corporations love persona), but it also allows us to move efficiently with the resources we have.

:pray:

sc-voice is for all of us happy little piglets. :pig: For the sake of humanity, I promise not to sing.

4 Likes

:es:
ESPAÑOL (ES) has now been added as a new translation language to SC-Voice. Enrique or Lucia will be happy to read Spanish suttas for you–although the coverage is still low at the moment; but have fun!

1 Like

This is a splendid feature :heart_eyes: I started using it today in earnest for the first time. I’m beginning with AN 5.57 . I show a screenshot below…is this the new one or the legacy one? (It was very intuitive to get here and I didn’t quite see options for new vs legacy (wasn’t paying attention)… I wasn’t looking at your directions above.)

If the legacy one, ignore this bug. If the new one:

At 4m 8s the following phrase is read aloud in pāli but an English translation is not read. The white-text English is not provided below the blue-text pāli.

:pray:t3:

1 Like

This is the old Voice, so you must have clicked a wrong link somewhere. I don’t know what exactly you did to get there, and obviously you don’t know it yourself so well.

To get to the new site, you can

You may also be interested in this new feature that has been added just yesterday in order to listen to longer playlists.

2 Likes

Hi, @BethL. :wave:

Let us know what works for you or not with sc-voice.net. We like to incorporate individual user feedback into Voice to benefit all of us. For example, I’m losing my eyesight, so many features are in there to address that personal need. Understanding individual user needs helps us design coherently instead of just “gluing features together”.

2 Likes

Ah, ok. Out of curiosity, I just re-did how I got to the site this morning:

• I went to SC home page: SuttaCentral
  • Scrolled down to find Voice in Related Projects after quickly scanning the top of the page for any links
  • Click on the SuttaCentral Voice box, which took me to the screenshot below
  • Searched for the sutta using the search engine provided

Not having followed the user interface threads, I wasn’t certain how to find Voice … so how I found it this morning is kind of typical for how I meander through websites in general as an end user. If I had just gone into the sutta first, it would have been super-clear based on your instructions.

This is so awesome! Much gratitude to your team :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Ah, so thank you for findig this bug on SuttaCentral! There is indeed still the old link in this place—it should be replaced by the new one.

@HongDa , can you please take care for this? In the “related projects” box for Voice as well as in the SC footer we have still the old links. Thank you! :pray:

Glad you like it! But you should also try the new one—it has still better features! And we can’t tell you how long the old one will still work, so it’d be good to get used to the new one anyway.

1 Like

It’s fixed now—thank you @HongDa ! :pray:

1 Like

Hi, the SuttaCentral home page voice box still takes me to the legacy SuttaCentral Voice .

Not trying to be a nuisance; it’s just that I went there again (today) as my entry point.

:pray:t3:

1 Like

Thank you for testing! :+1:

Try a hard refresh: CTRL + SHIFT + R, and then try again.

SuttaCentral is heavily cached, so it may take a while before changes make their way through to the site.

1 Like

UPDATE:

• We have a new supported translation language: Spanish (ES)

• We have now also working speaker icons on individual sutta pages, not only suttaplex cards. This allows you to select between different translators if a sutta has been translated by more than one translator of the same language.

See for example Thig 1.1:

You see it has two aligned English translations. Clicking the speaker icon here on the suttaplex card will direct you to Bhikkhu Sujato’s translation as the default (default is chosen by greatest completeness of coverage).

If you specifically wish to listen to Ayya Soma’s translation you can click on it here to open this translation page, and you’ll find a speaker icon there in the tool bar at the top right:

2 Likes

Interesting. I guess “aligned” means “segmented”. Seems like I need to rewire my brain to say “aligned (by segment)”. :laughing:

1 Like

Thank you so much for this gift! What an invaluable resource!

2 Likes

That’s been the term for some time (the whole time?). But I agree it’s a bit odd and requires some mental rephrasing. But I have never been able to suggest something better. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 Likes