The normalcy of diversity

:point_up_2::point_up_2:THIS​:point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2::fire::fire::fire:

Even the “innovative” temples in Thailand are like… “how about we copy the royal Bangkok style and LITERALLY WHITEWASH IT” :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

The Bhikkhhunis are represented in the What Pho Murals in Thailand, here a few examples:

Wat-Pho-Murals-Original-00044

5 Likes

Very true Bhante.
Just look at Bollywood films!
If you are from South Asia, you will know colourism is alive and well. Skin lighting is acceptable and if you want to be on a billboard, you better have lighter skin! I think the same holds true for these ancient “ billboards” I.e. paintings. That’s why I also wondered about caste. Certain castes are considered to have certain skin tones.

If you are a Indian/ Sri Lankan woman, generally the first comments you get when being visited as a newborn are “ Oh, s/he’s so fair(skinned)!” Or the lesser “ aww very cute!”. It’s changing, but those old aunties, uncles and grandmas still have that bias :rofl:. You just need to look at matrimonial ads!

So I’m not surprised those gopis frolicking with Krishna look like that…

6 Likes

I remember all the skin-lightening creams in the chemists shops on the shelves where I was looking for suntanning lotions, and the ‘one shade lighter’ face powders my friends used.

Oh, the desire to be different than we are!!

3 Likes

Yeah, and the desire for “big eyes.”

2 Likes

Ayya Thataloka gave a talk in this topic.

3 Likes