The Pali Vibhanga and the Chinese Dharmaskandha : a comparative study of two early abhidhamma texts

This is a doctoral thesis from a few years back by a student at the University of Queensland, one Hee Sheng Shi Fashu Sim, listed here. Apparently, it is only accessible to UQ faculty and students. I have seen online where some people shared the file, but that was in a discussion thread quite a few years ago, so I don’t think I could contact them.

Knowing that many here are in Australia, I thought someone might perhaps be affiliated with the university, be familiar with the author, or know how to access the files. If this would be in any way unethical or illegal, please feel free to completely disregard this post. (I am not really well versed in all the intricacies of the restriction of academic knowledge.) This is just the only point-for-point comparative of the Vibhaṅga and Dharmaskandha I’ve seen.

Thanks in advanced.

3 Likes

I think I may be the only former UQ person who is active on the forum, although it wouldn’t surprise me if there are others floating around from prior to the end of the dedicated Buddhist studies unit at UQ.

This is just how I would approach this personally:

1. contact the UQ Library

if no success:

1. write to the thesis supervisor, Assoc. Prof. Rod Bucknell, via email.

Rod’s session on problems in translating Buddhist Chinese using his article Taking account of the Indic source-text (2010) changed my life, BTW. Hope you can find what you are looking for.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your kind response,…

(Please excuse my inexperience: what is the customary form of address for a Bhikkunī?)

I will try those options.

1 Like