The problem of action at a temporal distance

I like this analogy, but you could rephrase in what I think would be the Buddhist way:

1. A blood sugar below 3 mmol/L triggers a response from the brain to seek glucose
  2. The body with the low blood sugar eats carbohydrate
  3. The body blood sugar increases
  4. The low blood sugar signal ceases

There would be no need to insert “person” to either step 1 or step 4, but if you wanted to do that in order to use the English language in the way we use it and so that the person (perhaps a non-Buddhist) could understand, then that is OK…but its not actually what happened. What happened is what is outlined in steps 1 to 4…the only difference is that there is also a volitional element that is not just a mechanistic process. That is the magic in all of this cause and effect molecules just doing what they have to do to obey all the “laws of science”. I think what the Buddha adds to the scientific literature, if they bothered to listen, are the accompanying “laws of mind” that are basically identical to the physical laws…just cause and effect (ie. insert karma as the cause an effect law in the conscious domain as physics is the cause and effect law in the physical domain)