The Smaller Discourse on Quarrelling (Snp4.12)

May I just jump a last time in that conversation to add a little something.

Indeed “I am” in Sanskrit, (and I believe also in Pali,) is “aham asmi”.
“I” is “aham” & “am” is “asmi”.

Asmi is quite like the substantial/essential universal of Aristotle’s Categories. That is to say: said-of another, and present-in another.
Namely, said-of nāmarūpa and present-in satta.
Which explains the “not yours”, as far as the khandhas are concerned. (And puts Asmi (being,) at the core of the escape [transcendence]).

Metta
suci

Hi friends,
Just a reminder.
Disagree with kindness.
Offer your opinion without denigrating the other.
Avoid ad hominem attacks.
If you find no common ground, let it go with peace.
Thank you :pray:

8 Likes

Dear Banthe, you do not seem to understand the difference between an airplane existing and a self of the airplane not existing. This is why you can not understand the 5 aggregates existing without a self existing. You think everything that exists requires a self, witch is not true. The metal of the airplane, the windows of the airplane, the fuel of the airplane - they all exist despite the airplane not having a self. Similarly, the form aggregate exists, the consciousness aggregate exists, etc. without requiring a self. Claiming the 5 aggregates or the metal, the windows etc. of an airplane require a self to exist is a logical mistake.

I believe the five aggregates of an arahant or any person are impermanent and dependently arisen and they are to be regarded as an impermanent self (aham), as I have already said, but not a soul (attā).

What is the difference between this impermanent self and an impermanent being ? In what way is this impermanent self different than an impermanent being ? In what way is this impermanent self/being (I see no difference) different than the metal, windows, fuel that make up an airplane ? The airplane is impermanent too, the parts that make up an airplane are impermanent. But is it correct to say the airplane has an impermanent self ? Or that the airplane as a whole is an impermanent self ? Is it correct to say such a thing ?

From what I understand you agree that the 5 aggregates exist dependent on conditions. You agree that when the condition for their existence will disappear, they too will cease without reminder. When ignorance will disappear, volitional formations will disappear. Then consciousness and name and form will disappear. Then, contact will disappear too. Because contact will disappear, then the other 3 aggregates that have contact as their condition will disappear too. Apart from their dependent condition, they can not continue to exist. I understand that you agree with this.

And, also, you have agreed that there is no such thing as a self apart from the 5 aggregates. If the 5 aggregates were to cease without reminder, then there would be impossible for such a thing as a self to be discerned apart from them. You yourself have expressed this position, it is you who have admited this to be correct.

From what I understand you believe there is a self, that self is made out of the 5 aggregates of an arahant and that self perishes when attaining parinibanna.

Is this the position you believe in ? Is this your position on the problem ? A self that is made out of the 5 aggregates of an arahant, a self that perishes at arahant death ? Is this your position or is your position different than this ?

Or do you simply do not understand what the word “self” means in English language, as explained in my previous message ? You seem to be confusing “a being” or “an airplane” or “a computer” with “an impermanent self”.

I do not understand what difference is there between “a being” and “an impermanent self”. By definition a self can not be impermanent. The 5 aggregates are impermanent. Similarly the metal, the windows, the fuel of the airplane is impermanent too. Together they make up an airplane. It is the same with the 5 aggregates of the human only that a “sense of self” develops witch is just another part of the being. When ideas like “this is my body” or “this is my consciousness” appear, they are just dependently arisen, empty of a self things such as a particular image displayed by a computer. The trick is, this feeling that “this is my consciousness”, this feeling of a thing belonging to yourself, this feeling itself is just like a window that has poped up on a computer, like the smoke produced by a car, like the sound produced by a musical instrument (to quote Buddha). The trick is to understand this.

This highlighted part is difficult to understand and requires contemplation. There are many suttas trying to explain this, one of the best been the one with the simile of a musical instrument. It is somewhere in SN “Book of sense bases” somewhere in the last subchapters. Buddha explains how the sound of a musical instrument is something that arises dependent on conditions. That there is a complicated machine, a human that plays it, etc. that together produce the sound that comes out of the instrument. If someone were to say “enough with this instrument, bring me just the sound” - that would be impossible. It is the same with this sense of self. This sense of self is produced by conditions, by this complicate machine made out of 5 aggregates. As explained in the highlighted part.

First one needs to remove self view. He needs to properly understand that this is like the sound of an instrument. Then, the tendency to take things as yourself will continue to exist because it is an underlying tendency. The underlying tendency to conceit. It is like an addiction, like a bad tendency. And this has to be removed too in order to reach arahanthip. But first step is removing the view of a self. Understanding that this idea of “this is my consciousness” is an idea that has arisen dependent on conditions, a phenomenon that has popped up dependent on conditions, like the sound of a musical instrument or a window on a computer or the smoke produced by a car. If there would be no musical instrument, there would be no sound.

Buddha said to regard these 5 aggregates like we would regard the branches and leaves of a forest. If somebody would gather the branches and leaves of a forest ad set them on fire, would we say “this is my self, it is my self burning” ? It is the same with the musical instrument. The instrument is not our self, the sound of the instrument is not our self. In the same way, the 5 aggregates are not ourselves, the phenomenons that appear like “this body is my self, this consciousness is myself” - that idea, that opinion is like the sound produced by a musical instrument. It is not ourself. It is an idea, a feeling arisen dependent on conditions, just like the smoke of a car or the sound of a musical instrument.

Not exactly. The 5A arise dependent on conditions.

No, you use ‘existence’ in the common way. Existence is suffering, but, as I understand it, the Buddha taught ‘the Five Clinging Aggregates are suffering’, not the Five Aggregates.

When the conditions supporting the five aggregates disappear, they will cease.

No, the Five Aggregates continue after ignorance has stopped, thus we have the Buddha living 45 years from the time under the Bodhi Tree. As I see it, it is only the Five Clinging Aggregates that are based on ignorance.

It seems, you misunderstand my view, because you don’t listen to what I say.

Please be clear in your quotes, as, it seems, we have different definitions of ‘self’, which I think I have made quite clear. Please use the Pali words, either aham or attā, as they appear in the text you are quoting. Please supply the reference for this quote. If the text says, 'is this my attā burning, then I have no problem with the quote. If it says ‘is this (my) aham burning’, then I would have no problem with the meaning, because if my five aggregates were on fire, I would say ‘I am burning’, or ‘my (impermanent, dependently arisen) self is burning’ not ‘my soul is burning’, as I don’t believe in the latter.

Can a thing exist without arising ? For example this computer has arisen at a point due to conditions. When conditions for it to exist will be no more, the computer will be no more. Same with everything in the world. Everything arises and ceases, there is nothing permanent to be found in samsara that does not arise and cease. The 5 aggregates clearly arise and cease too. Buddha died one day and his body was eaten by worms like any other body. It is contradicting common sense to claim 5 aggregates that are permanent can exist.

SN 22.94 explains how any wise man in the world would agree with this.
https://suttacentral.net/en/sn22.94

No, the Five Aggregates continue after ignorance has stopped, thus we have the Buddha living 45 years from the time under the Bodhi Tree. As I see it, it is only the Five Clinging Aggregates that are based on ignorance.

It seems, you misunderstand my view, because you don’t listen to what I say.

I now finally understand where you are coming from in your thinking. You started by believing in the 1-life understanding of patticca. Then, you saw it does not make sense since that would mean the 5 aggregates of the arahant vanish when attaining arahanthip. And from this you draw the conclusion that the 5 aggregates of the arahant are permanent and that they are self.

This is a very strange logic to follow. Instead of trying to fix a gross logical mistake by an even bigger logical mistake, the normal thing to do would be to go with the 3-life interpretation of paticca. When ignorance ceases, volitional formations are not longer produced by the arahant. And therefore consciousness does not “descend into the womb” anymore and the dependent origination chain is broken. I agree with you that the 1-life modern interpretation of paticca makes no sense.

It is a very strange logic to start with 1-life interpretation of paticca, see it is clearly wrong and then try to fix it with an even bigger logical mistake. You just need to drop this view about 1-life theory of patticca. There is no way to avoid the conclusions that the arahant vanishes when attaining arahanship if you do not drop this theory. If you claim the aggregates of the arahant are permanent and that they are self, then that grossly contradicts common sense. (not to mention suttas) The 5 aggregates of the Buddha were impermanent too. His body was eaten by worms just like any other body. There is no way to work you’re way around these implications of the 1-life theory no matter how much one falls in love with the theory and wants it to be true. As Buddha said in SN 22.94, no “wise man in this world” could contradict this. Even a smart child would agree with this.

Please be clear in your quotes, as, it seems, we have different definitions of ‘self’, which I think I have made quite clear.

And this is the problem. Words have meanings. I am using the standard English language understanding of the word “self”. Please use the same or invent a new word for it, otherwise nobody will be able to have a proper conversation with you and such conversations will leave everybody frustrated. Also, for proper translations from pali to English, it is recommended to check the meaning of a word in context. You can not translate a word without checking it in context at all. For example if you translate “soul” instead of “self” that will make no sense in thousands of suttas. You can’t just take a word, translate it based on general knowledge and completely ignore the context in witch that word is used.

It’s also good to know the meaning of the words “self” and “soul” in English language to do a proper translation from pali language into English language.

“I now finally understand where you are coming from in your thinking.” → you certainly do not. For me, it is up to speaker A to say whether speaker B has understood them. goodbye

as I have said above:
Hi Tuvok
for me:
self/me/I (aham/me) = the Five aggregates which are dependently arisen
soul (attā)= an essential eternal personal part of ourselves, what one would identify as ‘my TRUE self’ that is beyond passing (impermanent) conditions

thanks for your time, goodbye

The teachings about no-self are pretty hard to understand and problematic for many persons because they take some time to understand. People have always tried to introduce a self into the teachings of the Buddha. Buddha expected this and that is why such large portions of sutta pitaka are dedicated to no-self. But people will continue to push for a self existing in Buddha teachings, despite all the efforts made to prevent such a thing.

The only way to do this is to dismiss the nikayas as authoritative, a thing you have openly done too. You yourself have claimed they are not the teachings of the Buddha, that they have been strongly corrupted and you know better than the nikayas “through personal experience”. Such persons have existed in the past too and have formed mahayana. Such persons will continue to exist in the future and put pressures on theravada to transoform into mahayana and stop respecting the teachings of the historical Buddha preserved in the Nikayas but rather go with modern teachers who know “from personal experience”. The process is nothing new, mahayanization has been happening since forever.

Theravada is the school that respects the teachings of the historical Buddha preserved in the nikayas and does not respect modern gurus who teach “from personal experience”. From a theravada point of view, such teachers are “slandering the Tahagatha”. This topic itself was initially made to show how harsh Buddha was when dealing with people slandering his teachings. So do not be surprised to encounter criticism when claiming the nikayas have nothing to do with what the historical Buddha had taught and that you know better what was in the mind of the historical Buddha “from personal experience”. Theravada is not mahayana. Theravada follows the teachings of the historical Buddha not modern gurus. You will have much more success in mahayana with these teachings about the self and with such a dismissal attitude towards the Nikayas.

If you would accept the authority of the nikayas but simply have a different understanding of them, then you would be considered a rogue theravada. In that case, we could debate based on suttas and try to understand them. But since you dismiss the authority of the suttas, then you qualify as a mahayana not as a rogue theravada. If you claim to know things “from personal experience” - then what makes you believe those things are the same as what Buddha knew from his personal experience ? Since you dismiss the nikayas, based on what text is there a link made between what you claim to know from personal experience and what Buddha knew from personal experience ? What if Buddha believed in Jesus ? How can you know he did not since you dismiss the writings of early buddhism ? How can you know one of the thousands mahayana gurus did not get it right and is in line with the Buddha since there is no way to check this out by using the nikayas ?

What makes you consider yourself a theravadian if you dismiss the nikayas ? What is it there that makes you a theravadian more than a random mahayanist is a theravadian ? Why should people see you different than a mahayanist ? What reactions do you expect to find among people who are theravadians, not mahayanist, and follow the teachings of the historical Buddha preserved in the nikayas ?

For a proper dismissal of the nikayas, a scholarly analysis is required. It is not enough to claim “I know from personal experience that things are not like in the nikayas and that is why the nikayas are wrong.” Mahayanist have been claiming that since Mahayana was invented. There is general consensus among scholars, be them monks or secular scholars, that the nikayas are authentic. You will have a hard time dismissing them through scholarly and scientific methods rather than through “personal experience”.

Another problem with personal experience instead of logic and reason is: how do I know who’s personal experience is better than the personal experience of others ? It is only based on fame that I can decide such a thing. Therefore, B. Bodhi personal experience is better than yours. And the Pope personal experience is better than anyone else in this world.

1 Like

how does this profoundly differ from Hinduism for example? so the Dhamma must be a permutation of Hinduism and the Hindus are correct in embracing the Buddha into the pantheon of Visnu’s avatars, why then be a Buddhist instead of a Hindu?

Hi LXNDR

Hinduism, modern psychology and New Age philosophy… (external teachings) as I understand them, generally do not define what self/me/I (aham/me) means. Thus it is easy to cling to, usually the more subtle aspects of oneself, as one’s essence and promote that as permanent (soul), or not dependently arisen.

The Buddha, in his scientific/clear/precise way, had clearly defined it, imo.

If they do happen to define it, seeing there are so many variations of each, I would feel surprised if they defined it in the same way as the Buddha.

best wishes

Being anything is suffering, as I understand it. So instead of identifying as a Buddhist or Hindu, I’d rather just recognise the aspect of ones(impermanent-dependently-arisen)self (which of the five aggregates) that one is clinging to in order to identify and ‘be’ whatever. As I have seen it, when I took on similar identifications, I have clung to beliefs and rituals, in order to belong.

identification as a Buddhist is only useful as a means of association with the Dhamma, i don’t believe one can steadfastly follow the Dhamma (or any path for that matter) being undecided or some kind of a spiritualist, if one does adhere to the Dhamma it follows that one is a Buddhist

Dhamma is the last object of clinging to be abandoned, only after one places one’s foot on the other shore, without clinging to the raft waftage to the other shore is impossible

congratulations on the one qualified statement, in which you follow the training established by the Buddha

thanks for your 2 pontifications and goodbye

[quote=“Brother_Joe, post:75, topic:4468”][quote=LXNDR]i don’t believe one can steadfastly follow the Dhamma (or any path for that matter) being undecided or some kind of a spiritualist, if one does adhere to the Dhamma it follows that one is a Buddhist

[…]

Dhamma is the last object of clinging to be abandoned, only after one places one’s foot on the other shore, without clinging to the raft waftage to the other shore is impossible[/quote]
thanks for your 2 pontifications and goodbye
[/quote]

[quote=LXNDR]Dhamma is the last object of clinging to be abandoned, only after one places one’s foot on the other shore, without clinging to the raft waftage to the other shore is impossible[/quote][quote]"Suppose, monks, there is a man journeying on a road and he sees a vast expanse of water of which this shore is perilous and fearful, while the other shore is safe and free from danger. But there is no boat for crossing nor is there a bridge for going over from this side to the other. So the man thinks: ‘This is a vast expanse of water; and this shore is perilous and fearful, but the other shore is safe and free from danger. There is, however, no boat here for crossing, nor a bridge for going over from this side to the other. Suppose I gather reeds, sticks, branches and foliage, and bind them into a raft.’ Now that man collects reeds, sticks, branches and foliage, and binds them into a raft. Carried by that raft, laboring with hands and feet, he safely crosses over to the other shore. Having crossed and arrived at the other shore, he thinks: ‘This raft, indeed, has been very helpful to me. Carried by it, laboring with hands and feet, I got safely across to the other shore. Should I not lift this raft on my head or put it on my shoulders, and go where I like?’

“What do you think about it, O monks? Will this man by acting thus, do what should be done with a raft?” — “No, Lord” — "How then, monks, would he be doing what ought to be done with a raft? Here, monks, having got across and arrived at the other shore, the man thinks: ‘This raft, indeed, has been very helpful to me. Carried by it, and laboring with hands and feet, I got safely across to the other shore. Should I not pull it up now to the dry land or let it float in the water, and then go as I please?’ By acting thus, monks, would that man do what should be done with a raft.

"In the same way, monks, have I shown to you the Teaching’s similitude to a raft: as having the purpose of crossing over, not the purpose of being clung to.

1. "You, O monks, who understand the Teaching’s similitude to a raft, you should let go even (good) teachings, how much more false ones![/quote]

I know such basic teachings and am not disagreeing with them.

I am disagreeing with the arrogant expression of opinion, i.e. expressing opinion as a fact, as if one were an expert in the Buddha’s teaching and one’s opinion could not be mistaken.

It seems the Buddha made quite clear, we can only progress, if we are willing to learn.

goodbye

1 Like

i do by not being judgemental, by neither disparaging nor extolling but only speaking the Dhamma (MN 139), which is a more useful practice as far as i’m concerned, and wish you did the same

they weren’t meant as pontifications, but if the shoe fits…

i hope you are

goodbye

[details=2 cents]doubts and uncertainty have their reasonable limits otherwise even the Right View can never be established

if one is certain in their opinion i don’t see any reason for spurious mitigation of its expression with qualifiers of doubt, if it makes anyone feel uneasy, well, their problem

after all, accusations of arrogance too have been expressed quite squarely[/details]

I am willing to learn according to the Buddha’s teaching. Unfortunately, it seems, you have misquoted/misunderstood the instruction to neither disparage nor extoll. It is in reference to people, i.e. not ‘this person is a great teacher’ or ‘this person is a poor teacher’, but rather Dhammically, ‘this teaching/idea is great/wholesome/leading to the end of suffering’ or ‘this idea/teaching is bad/unwholesome/…’.

The latter is what the Buddha seems to have done, as well as taught to do. I understand it is the essence of compassionate instruction and that is what I’ve been training in for quite some time now. If you have any examples of my doing the former, disparage or extoll according to the Buddha’s teaching. Then please point them out clearly, so I can consider that.

thanks and best wishes

Of course, one can decide how much, or when, one will follow advice/trainings from the Buddha and not. I believe I have not accused anyone of being arrogant, but rather have tried to indicate certain statements are arrogant. If one takes that personally, as a personal attack/criticism/accusation well, I would think, that is their problem and they would thereby make themselves irreprehensible.

It is possible to express certainty without arrogance, e.g. “I feel certain this is so”, “I have no doubt that this is so” etc and the Buddha is recorded to have called that ‘safeguarding the truth’. Dictating facts as if one could not be wrong, to me, is arrogant behaviour, just like: ‘the earth is flat’.

[Of course, for me, there is some truth in such statements of fact, e.g. we can in many locations make the earth flat, but from the bigger picture, the earth would seem to be spherical in shape.]