The stream of the Dhamma

True, but don’t assume a forest or jungle is an easy place to live. Its easy for us to have fantasies about the ascetic lifestyle but those who live in those environments have a better insight into them and don’t fetishize jungles as sukha.

Then Venerable Upāli went up to the Buddha, bowed, sat down to one side, and said to him: “Sir, I wish to frequent remote lodgings in the wilderness and the forest.”

“Upāli, remote lodgings in the wilderness and the forest are challenging. It’s hard to maintain seclusion and hard to find joy in it. Staying alone, the forests seem to rob the mind of a mendicant who isn’t immersed in samādhi. If someone should say this: ‘Though I don’t have immersion, I’m going to frequent remote lodgings in the wilderness and the forest.’ You can expect that they’ll sink down or float away. AN10.99

2 Likes

Fair comment, I didn’t mean to give the impression that jungles are like the garden of Eden, some kind of lost paradise.

Some jungles can be very challenging places to be in, others, can be lovely places to be in. Also, where you happen to be in a jungle is important.

The other thing worth considering with regard to wild-places like jungle-thickets is our state of mind.

Some people may find wilderness areas oppressive and, they can’t wait to get back to their cumfy sofas and modern conveniences.

There are some of us who feel a spiritual-connection to wilderness - in all its forms. I do have a deep feeling of love for the natural world. I am happy to be in an old-growth forest, tropical, subtropical, temperate etc.

I also believe our attitude to the wild animals we encounter in these places is important. Fear in a dangerous situation may not be that helpful. That’s not to say we should be careless and, invite danger.

It’s a complex subject to reflect on and, I thank you for your willingness to explore the Dhamma and practice related issues.

When the eyes are closed it doesn’t matter much I suppose (if one’s fears and needs are under control…). Importantly it’s about what one does in the jungle and the advantage of practicing in such a secluded place. I’ve not meditated in a jungle but i have meditated in an ‘empty/quiet house’ with the same benefit, I feel.

The Buddha is asked where one should practice, in relation to what kind of village, and in dependance on which people- he says to practice in situations where craving, aversion and delusion is eradicated (regardless of place, person, etc).

1 Like

Yes, we should really practice everywhere, whether the situation is difficult and testing or, comfortable and easy. It’s not really that important where we are as long as we can use that opportunity to deepen in the Dhamma.

Natural spaces can provide great opportunities for growing in the Dhamma but, so can a prison-camp or, a leper colony. It really depends on our attitude, our clarity and, our willingness to meet life as it is, moment after moment.

Exactly! Make hay, rain or shine.

1 Like

Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.- Ajhan Chah

And how is a person on retreat in body, but not mind? It’s when a person frequents remote lodgings in the wilderness and the forest. But they think sensual, malicious, and cruel thoughts. That’s how a person is on retreat in body, but not mind.

And how is a person on retreat in mind, but not body? It’s when a person doesn’t frequent remote lodgings in the wilderness and the forest. But they think thoughts of renunciation, good will, and harmlessness. That’s how a person is on retreat in mind, but not body. SuttaCentral

1 Like

Beautiful!

Direct knowledge and vision reveals this on the spot. It’s not a matter of time! :smiling_face:

1 Like