The trolley problem: notes towards a Buddhist perspective

Perhaps it would have been more effective to patronize his art career and make sure he never felt the need to give up painting. :man_shrugging: :man_artist:

This is why governments should always sponsor the arts! :rofl:

1 Like

Blockquote[quote=“Khemarato.bhikkhu, post:44, topic:17522”]
Perhaps it would have been more effective to patronize his art career and make sure he never felt the need to give up painting. :man_shrugging: :man_artist:

This is why governments should always sponsor the arts!
[/quote]

Hitler had indeed a sincere appreciation for the arts (unlike most politicians) but he was not a gifted painter himself IMO, so sponsoring him would not really have helped him with his self esteem (which seemed to be one of his problems when he wanted to be an artist).

Anyway I think you were joking (let’s hope our Jewish friends find it funny) - I think the question in the real world remains on how to deal with concrete situations of evil: something the Dalai Lama tried to do in the interview I quoted, probably because he is not only a monk but also takes interest and responsibility in the real world through his involvement in politics.
PS
sorry if this is not really on the trolley problem, though it is related to the important question about whether killing can be legitimate

I’m with my good friend Geralt of Rivia on this one:

2 Likes