The Validity of bhikkhunī Ordination by bhikkhus Only, According to the Pāli Vinaya

I understand your point, but it is a little bit more complicated than that. Compassion does not mean satisfying every person’s need. Making the barrier to entry lower does mean increasing chances of success.

Fair point, bhante. Could you please describe how exactly this is happening? Are these communities actually changing the (written) Vinaya, or do they just “ignore” certain rules and “add” custom ones?

Actually, bhante, I with my position do not oppose the ordination per se. After all, the pali rule requesting a woman to get permission from both sanghas is questionnable in its genuinity (right?), and there are also nuns lineages which are not broken, even though in different brances of the buddhism. What I was discussing here is that some people say that 8 garudhammas are not needed anymore (even thought they are universal in all schools), and that nuns’ Vinaya is “too hard”.

I also would like to say that here in writing it may seem that I have a hostile position. It is not like this. :slight_smile: It just seems that people from different parts of the world tend to have very different ways of thinking, and it may be really hard to understand the other’s point.

2 Likes