The volume includes numerous excerpts from the Niddesa, an ancient commentary (Bhikkhu Bodhi)

I’m interested in that commentary. But how do Bhikkhu Bodhi have the excerpts in his Suttanipata book? Can anyone take one screenshot. Like an example.

Hi Upasaka_Dhammasara,

The volume contains a complete translation of the Commentary, which has excerpts from the Niddesa added.

Here is an example, for verse 770, (Verse 777 here: SuttaCentral)cut and paste from the Ebook:

Sutta:
770. even the weak overpower him;
obstacles crush him.
Then suffering enters him
as water does a broken boat.

Commentary:
770. The defilements, which are designated the weak, overpower him — that person — they subdue him, crush him. Or weak defilements overpower him, that person, who is weak because he lacks the power of faith and the other powers; that is, because of his weakness they overpower him.[1761] Now while the one greedy for sensual pleasures is seeking and safeguarding sensual pleasures, obstacles — obvious obstacles such as lions and so forth as well as hidden obstacles such as bodily misconduct and so forth — crush him. Then suffering of birth and so forth enters him, that person overcome by the hidden obstacles, as water does a broken boat.

Nidd I 9. Even the weak overpower him: Weak defilements are powerless, of little power and little strength, inferior, low, slight, worthless, insignificant. Those defilements subdue that person, overwhelm him, overcome him, obsess him, crush him; thus the weak overpower him. Or alternatively, it is the person who is weak, powerless, of little power and little strength, inferior, low, slight, worthless, insignificant; one who does not have the powers of faith, energy, mindfulness, concentration, wisdom, moral shame, and moral dread. Those defilements subdue that person, overwhelm him, overcome him, obsess him, crush him: thus too the weak overpower him.

Nidd I 10. Obstacles crush him: There are two kinds of obstacles: obvious obstacles and hidden obstacles . . . [as at pp. 447–48, Nidd II 226–27] . . . so these bad unwholesome qualities that arise are based upon one’s own person.

Nidd I 13. Then suffering enters him: The suffering of birth enters him, the suffering of old age, of illness, of death; of sorrow, lamentation, pain, dejection, and anguish; the suffering of hell, of the animal realm, of the realm of afflicted spirits, of the human realm; . . . the suffering of the death of mother, the death of father, brother, sister, son, or daughter; the suffering of loss of relatives, loss of wealth, loss through illness, loss of good behavior, loss of view. All these enter him. As water does a broken boat: As from all sides water enters a broken boat that has given way out on the water — it enters from the front, from the back, from below, and from the sides — so suffering enters that person from each of the obstacles: the suffering of birth . . . the suffering of loss of view.

2 Likes

Omgoodness :open_mouth: I’m buying the book. :heart:

That last part is so powerful. :heart: Do we have more? Because I will order hard copy. To read while waiting.

That’s typical of the Commentary+Niddesa section of the volume.

I changed my mind will buy digital now Hihi

My advice is to wait until Wisdom has a sale and buy the digital versions from them at that time. That’s what I did to complete my collection. Wisdom give you a couple of ebook formats, plus PDF. Much better than a Kindle option. However, the prices seem to have increased quite a lot over the past couple of years.

When are the months that usually happens?

I’m not sure, since Wisdom now have their “Wisdom Experience” approach, where you can pay a fee for online access. I last bought ebooks from them about three years ago.
Here’s an announcement from 2018: Wisdom Publications sale: 40% off of all their books - Dhamma Wheel
https://dhammawheel.com/

1 Like