Theravada and the Dalai Lama

You are getting confused again - I was not talking about the collapse of the Soviet Union! What you are saying about that collapse is probably accurate? I was stating the obvious - if the history had been different i.e. different political leadership, the outcome would also be different? It could have been worse, it could have been better, it could have been ‘who knows what’? I am not a clairvoyant and, I suspect that you aren’t either? :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s just a sham. Marxist ideals are preached during election campaign time and that’s pretty much it. Everything else is money-driven and it’s mostly capitalism these days, even though you’ll find graffiti and posters here and there. The various unions have some more power in the couple of states which have communist governments. Apart from that, pretty much everyone has hopped on the capitalist wagon.

Yes, that may be the case in the India of today! It is not hard to research the India of yesterday and, find out what was achieved in Kerala at an earlier period in its Marxist political history.

My opinion is: the democratic Marxist’s in Kerala have made significant improvements to the welfare of the poor and have contributed to good environmental outcomes. I imagine the Dalai Lama would agree?

Check the history, look at the literacy programme, look at the land reforms, look at the social security safety-net they implemented!

Social security safety-nets are standard practice in modern developed liberal democracies. It is only in the USA that we find the value of safety-nets are still questioned! Social security safety-nets provide essential services to the sick, disabled, aged and, unemployed.

I think the starving population in India could benefit from an adequate social security system? Can you think of another country on Earth that is more in need of improvements to its social security system?

The Marxist reforms in Kerala have increased the wealth of impoverished people, increased the (private) ownership of land and property and, educated people - mostly women - who had next to no access to formal education.

I cannot see how any of these democratic Marxist initiatives are regrettable? I cannot see how the Dalai Lama or, any reasonable person, could fail to be impressed by the policy outcomes of the democratic Marxist’s in Kerala? :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, they have good numbers in various indices now, which is mainly because of the whole Gulf thing. The money sent back by people who move to other countries drives a major part of their economy. And whatever real growth they had happened after Rao opened up the markets in the 90s.

It is possible that the living standards - and quality of life - for all Indians could improve as a consequence of input from the left and right? I certainly hope so!

What I am reacting to is ‘black and white’ thinking! This is extremely naive as the reality is more complex than we may realise.

It is not an either/or situation!

Some of us have real difficulty processing complexity. If that is the case, we may opt for generalisations! It can lead to leaders like Donald Trump - a man with simplistic answers to complex problems - no thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

Did you think?

When you say Rao opened up the markets - that may be incorrect? There is a difference between opening the door and handing over the key! It may be the case that powerful capitalist organisations - including the World Bank - did everything they could to scuttle a Marxist experiment. Its in the historical record! The Marxists were happy to have open-market investment but insisted on fair and reasonable terms and conditions. Predatory capitalists bided their time waiting for an ‘opening’ they could rush into - take what they could - and leave the scene of the crime! Rao was probably that kind of opportunity?

Impoverished countries are faced with 3 options: 1) resistance, 2 )indifference and, 3) capitulation and cooperation. Cooperation is often ‘bought’ as those who cooperate - who allow unbridled access to a countries wealth and assets may benefit a great deal. If, after the parties over - the undeveloped country remains undeveloped it is clear that the development through opening the market has not given rise to lasting benefits for the country as a whole. There have been a few developmental success stories in the third world but there are more than are countless ‘nightmare’ scenarios that have come about as a consequence of unbridled capitalism. The situation is getting worse, particularly, the negative environmental repercussions. Capitalism may end up killing us all!

The Marxist government in Kerala insisted on protecting workers from exploitation, reasonable occupational health and safety standards, environmental safeguards and protections, fair and reasonable tax rates etc.

Capital investment went elsewhere - in Asia. Impoverished countries competed with each other in an economic race to the bottom! The Keralan Marxists refused to enter the race and decided to do the best they could with what they had!

As soon as the Marxists were voted out it created an opening for predatory capitalism to move in?

http://web.missouri.edu/ikerdj/papers/Is%20Capitalism%20Sustainable.htm

https://www.dalailama.com/messages/environment/global-environment

One of the most powerful initial encounters I had with Buddhism was watching his lecture series on the Four Noble Truths. I came to realize that he was a truly great person and I just love him, even though I ultimately abandoned any notion of practicing “Tibetan Buddhism.”

2 Likes