SuttaCentral

Thrill of 1st Translation of a Sentence from Pali Canon (AN 1.306)

I’ve been taking @stephen’s great Pali Intensive Course this July. End of week 3 and we’re moving from Pali Primer to actual readings from the Canon. Today for homework, with nothing but dictionary and class notes, I tackled

Micchādiṭṭhikassa, bhikkhave, anuppannā ceva akusalā dhammā uppajjanti uppannā ca akusalā dhammā bhiyyobhāvāya vepullāya saṃvattantī”ti.

It was so much fun, and truly exciting when I worked out what it meant! :smiley:

17 Likes

I felt the same! Yes, it is such a rewarding exercise! All those accidents in pits, dog hitting and washing garments are now bearing fruit! :joy: But the drills did help immensely :+1:t3:

So much more motivated now :muscle:t3:

Thank you @stephen!

7 Likes

I’m so glad you are both finding this course fun and effective.
Pali can be wonderfully rewarding to study.
See you soon,
Stephen

9 Likes

That’s so good! Very exciting, please let us know any more insights you have from the course.

4 Likes

The course really is fun, and is indeed effective. Even watching later on YouTube, the real students in the Zoom room and your interactions with them make a much better class than a lecture straight to camera does. You have a huge class to control too! De Silva and yourself have really worked to funnel students easily into the first Gair & Karunatillake chapter. Bhikkhu Bodhi’s lectures will be a lot easier going after these five weeks. :slight_smile:

This looks like a useful resource; is it one of the best?

7 Likes

It was for me too!! :smiley: I’m worried that I’ve overstepped my status as a beginning student tho: Please keep reporting errors and typos!

3 Likes