Tilorien Monastery: we've started building!

Is there any estimate when the contractor will finish the building?

3 Likes

Not really. The outside cladding should arrive at the end of this week but there are also things to be done inside still and on the roof. Not that much but I think at least a few weeks.

6 Likes

OK, lets hope that we can start our part when the volunteers come in May…

5 Likes

Bhante, how are you with volunteers so far? Do you have enough people coming to help?

5 Likes

I believe we have about three volunteers so far - each coming for a few days -, in addition to the monastery resident community. But our place is small, so that should work out.

9 Likes

Finally taking over from the constructor: Venerable Vimala at work :grin:

20180421_145257-re30

18 Likes

Yay, finally things are moving! :smile::smile::smile::sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart:

5 Likes

That Bosch hammer drill you’re using makes quick work of that concrete slab, doesn’t it, Ayya @vimala? Congratulations on the progress!

10 Likes

Yes, ma’am… can I come and play with the big drill? :smiley: :wagging_tail:

11 Likes

Congratulations tilorien Venerables. It’s looking great!

9 Likes

Absolutely! This is a great piece of kit to have. I first thought that this concrete seemed rather soft, until I tried it with a normal concrete-drill. What a difference! Now all I need is a much larger drill because the floor is at least 20 cm thick.

10 Likes

Update: A fourth volunteer just signed up! :sparkling_heart: And he is a professional carpenter. :smile:

10 Likes

But at the moment we do not know when the contractor will be finished and when we can actually start working on the technical installations (other than drilling large holes in the concrete with a diamond drill machine).

So for now, please don’t sign up for volunteering until we have a bit more of an overview. We also don’t have space to put people yet. We will keep you all posted here.

8 Likes

May the Force of SDS be with you!
Who needs a lightsaber if you have a hammerdrill.
:heart: my new toy!

(Disclaimer: This is NOT a Bosch commercial!)

22 Likes

For the ignorant ones: What does SDS mean? :thinking:

3 Likes

https://www.its.co.uk/blog/buying-guides/what-is-an-sds-drill/

4 Likes

That looks just like my precious! I remember when I first felt the power of the Bosch SDS hammer drill … but then they tried to steal it from us – nasty little hobbitses! They just want to “borrow” it, they said! For a small project in their basement! But they’re wicked, tricksy, false. They’re thieves, they’re filthy little thieves!

smeagol

8 Likes

As the Buddha said: “Let go of attachments!” :joy:

5 Likes

I’m sure you were strong enough to resist the temptation, Ayye. But maybe there was a little wavering at first, when you first held the hammer drill? This is how I imagine it:

"Wielding this hammer drill, I shall not be dark, but beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the monastery. All shall love me and despair!”

She lifted up her hands and from the Bosch SDS hammer drill there issued a great light that illuminated her alone and left all else dark. She stood before them seeming now tall beyond measurement, and beautiful beyond enduring, terrible and worshipful.

d793da28ae6767ac3eef1b5c0fd74411

Then she let the hammer drill fall, and the light faded, and suddenly she laughed again, and lo! she was shrunken: a slender nun, clad in simple robes, whose gentle voice was soft and sad.

“I pass the test”, she said. “I will diminish, and attain nibbāna and remain Vimala."

I’m only kidding, of course. Much respect to you, Ayye, for the path you’ve chosen and the difficult work you’re doing in building the monastery. Both are very inspiring. Wishing you, and all of us, much diminishing!

9 Likes

:rofl::joy:
I’m sure the hammerdrill will soon get boring once I get my hands on the (rented) diamond drill rig next week! We need a few holes of 20 cm diameter in the concrete floor for the ventilation system as well as some smaller ones.

7 Likes