Translating the Four Nikāyas

Looks interesting. I tried to find a demo of it working but couldn’t find one. Are there any video demos of it in use? I would simply try it out myself but it looks very complicated to install.

It’s not in working order since the key annotated dictionary has been lost due to the computer crash.

My colleague is steadfastly working on a new analyzer.

2 Likes

Cool, I look forward to when it’s ready! Sounds exciting.

I spoke to the author a couple of years ago, and the issue wasn’t computer crash per se; rather, the keys to the system were entrusted to a single IT guy, who basically disappeared overnight and no-one can find the core data, i.e. the annotated dictionary. Presumably it still exists somewhere locked behind a password on a server at U Trier. This is a somewhat depressing validation of Schofield’s Second Law of Computing: data doesn’t really exist unless you have two copies of it.

Any more information on this?

1 Like

Can’t help trying my fingers on translating your English text (coz I don’t know Pali) :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

สำหรับวัวตัวผู้ ลูกวัวตัวผู้ ลูกวัวตัวเมีย แพะและแกะอย่างละ ๗๐๐ ตัวเหล่านี้ ข้าพเจ้าขอปลดปล่อยให้เป็นอิสระ ขอมอบชีวิตคืนให้แก่พวกเขา และขอให้พวกเขาได้กินหญ้าเขียวขจี ได้ดื่มน้ำเย็น และขอให้ลมเย็นสบายพัดผ่านร่างกายสัตว์ทั้งหลายเหล่านี้

1 Like

Lovely, I like it very much! In the suttas, there are so many passages dealing with very high and subtle dhammas, but sometimes it’s a simple moment like this that is the most moving.

One word I didn’t understand, ขจี—what’s that?

And if even I can read it, it must be admirably readable!

ขจี is a modifier, mainly used after เขียว to give a positive impression of lovely or lush green. :smiley:

Hope I didn’t ‘over’-translated.

:sunflower:

1 Like

Nice. I remember one of the best pieces of advice that I was given by a Thai monk in learning Thai. he said that Thais make every word short, and cut them down so the meaning is very concise. But then it’s too abrupt, so you have to add more words to make it sound nice!

Just for the exercise of it, let’s have a look at the Pali:

haritāni ceva tiṇāni khādantu
Let them eat green grass

Here, grass, or more correctly “grasses” (the Pali is plural) is tiṇāni, and haritāni is “green” as an adjective. The verb khādantu is imperative third person plural, “let them eat”. So the English translation is pretty straightforward.

The interesting bit here, though, is ceva. This is ca eva, where ca is “and” and eva is a particle meaning “just, quite, only, very”. Now, this phrase occurs in a list of similar items, and normally such lists are organized using ca. Here, quite unusually, this item and this item alone has the emphatic form ceva.

I’m not sure what the reason for this is, but it could certainly be taken as a justification for the added ขจี. Since there is no way you could have known this, perhaps you were channeling the Dhamma directly from a higher dimension?

2 Likes

Dear Bhante,

I wish! :smiley:

The reason I couldn’t help adding that word is simply that I felt this Brahmin not only wanted to not kill these animals, but also wanted them to have a happy life. A happy life for them is eat well and live in a pleasant environment. Thus, delicious grass (lush green) and refreshing drink (cool water), plus cool breeze. The sentence seems to tell me that this is paradise on earth for these animals, hence my word choice.

I’m not a good translator; I always want to add things. :smile: :wink:

2 Likes

Well, in this case it was a good instinct.

1 Like

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was delighted to learn that the results of analysis survived and serve as a basis for futher work:

This project is still in infancy, since we had to start from the very beginning.

1 Like

Thanks. Fun fact: the origin of this project was an investigation done by another department on the postulated links between early Buddhism and—wait for it—ancient Egypt. Yep, not a crazy conspiracy theory, but a long term serious academic investigation. I don’t know if anything cam of it, though!

3 Likes

Respect Bhante,
This is wonderful job for us who couldn’t understand English properly. I am happy to read your new project. After 19th century Buddhism more popular due to some great inventions such as Pali text Society, Access to insight and others.
I am glad to join Sutta Central because as a technical world easy to access on mobile devices.
Take care Bhante,

2 Likes

Dear Venerable,

Lovely to see you here. I hope you find much joy and benefit!

1 Like