Translation needed: vandana formulas

Dear Friends and teachers, I am reading a text called ‘Breathmind’, and got stuck on what is a prayer to Buddha which contains no translation in the text. Forgive me for this partial text, but I have tried everything to copy and paste the full version. But I am confident that somewhere in your collected wisdom you in your generosity might provide me, a humble beginner, with the full translation. If this is possible I would be very grateful.
May we all be free from suffering.
Thank you!:thinking:

Respect to the Triple Gem:
araham samma sambuddho bhagava
Tam Bhagavantam ahbavidemi.

Then paying respects to the Buddha…
Then taking refuge in the Triple Gem
Later…
Imani panca…

Check page 2 of the PDF found in the link below:

http://www.stlthaitemple.org/books/Chanting_English.pdf

1 Like

Dear Sir, that is EXACTLY what I was hoping for. Perfect…and faster than wikipedia, lol. Thank you very much. With Karuna! [I’m learning Pali as slowly as possible. :smile:

2 Likes

This text on Breathmind is very explicit in a way that I am not accustom . Wondering if this is a proper approach? Or one of many?

Check this link as well, more especifically the section entitled “Preliminaries”:

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai/lee/inmind.html#prelim

Before starting out, kneel down, with your hands palm-to-palm in front of your heart, and sincerely pay respect to the Triple Gem, saying as follows:
Araham samma-sambuddho bhagava:
Buddham bhagavantam abhivademi.
(bow down)
Svakkhato bhagavata dhammo:
Dhammam namassami.
(bow down)
Supatipanno bhagavato savaka-sangho:
Sangham namami.
(bow down)

Then, showing respect with your thoughts, words, and deeds, pay homage to the Buddha:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma-sambuddhasa. (three times)
And take refuge in the Triple Gem:
Buddham saranam gacchami.
Dhammam saranam gacchami.
Sangham saranam gacchami.
Dutiyampi buddham saranam gacchami.
Dutiyampi dhammam saranam gacchami.
Dutiyampi sangham saranam gacchami.
Tatiyampi buddham saranam gacchami.
Tatiyampi dhammam saranam gacchami.
Tatiyampi sangham saranam gacchami.

Then make the following resolution: “I take refuge in the Buddha — the Pure One, completely free from defilement; and in his Dhamma — doctrine, practice, and attainment; and in the Sangha — the four levels of his Noble Disciples — from now to the end of my life.”
Buddham jivitam yava nibbanam saranam gacchami.
Dhammam jivitam yava nibbanam saranam gacchami.
Sangham jivitam yava nibbanam saranam gacchami.

Then formulate the intention to observe the five, eight, ten, or 227 precepts according to how many you are normally able to observe, expressing them in a single vow:
Imani pañca sikkhapadani samadiyami.
(three times)

(This is for the observing the five precepts, and means, “I undertake the five training rules: to refrain from taking life, from stealing, from sexual misconduct, from lying, and from taking intoxicants.”)

Note that the m in Buddham bhagantam abhivademig should be pronounced like a half mute ng as in song

:anjal:

P.S.: Another helpful link is:

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/bodhi/wheel282.html#ref

2 Likes

I have always wondered where exactly in the Tipitaka or its commentaries we are to find those formulas, as known as vandana formulas, and chanted by millions of traditional Theravada Buddhists in Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos and Cambodia!

Unfortunately SuttaCentral’s search function was not of much help. :sweat:

I only managed to find the formulas and precepts listed in the Khuddaka’s Khuddakapāṭha:

https://suttacentral.net/kp

Maybe venerable @dhammanando would be able to help?

1 Like

Yes, you are correct. I don’t know what that is and a general Google/ Wiki search yielded no results which might explain the term. I will follow this topic. Thanks again.

1 Like

In case you are after formulas or topic for recollection / reflection which may aid in the path, I would recommend checking AN11.13:

:anjal:

1 Like

Thanks to you I have learned much. Thanks, teacher!:joy:

3 Likes

" ‘I’m fortunate, so very fortunate, to have good friends who advise and instruct me out of kindness and compassion."

Indeed!

3 Likes

You’re welcome, but we all should thank the generous and kind hearted individuals who translated those words of wisdom for free distribution. :anjal:

5 Likes