Two Meditation Questions

I’m glad you got the answer to your question :slight_smile:

If you are interested there are many guided meditations on the BSWA web site, as well as resources on meditation. This may assist in building skill and confidence. There are also many other skilled teaching on-line. Just try to access those from reputable masters.

And here are the search results for meditation resources here in the forum

https://discourse.suttacentral.net/search?q=meditation%20resources

7 Likes

As I see, a guided meditation retreat will definitely help you.
You may try a place close to you from this website:
https://www.dhamma.org/en/locations/directory
Sukhi Hotu !

4 Likes

By a happy coincidence, I attended a meditation retreat at the Bhavana Society in West Virginia just this past weekend. It was one of the best experiences of my life. While I’d already solved both of the problems I asked about in the original post, I was also able to learn a lot of new things about meditation while there. And of course I had lots of time to practice in a wonderfully peaceful environment.

13 Likes

Really great. These retreats were the cause and reason for my fair underdstanding of the path with first hand personal experience.
Sukhi Hotu!

1 Like

Ajahn Brahm’s book “Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond” has by far the best explanation of the anapanasati sutta that I’ve read, as well as offers his thoughts on the practice. You may be interested in reading it.

3 Likes

Ideally this may be simplest: “The Canon often seems to describe meditation as occurring after the cultivation of noble ethics,” but I prefer to thing it as a logical connection rather than a temporal one. For this laywoman the process has been a bit cyclical, so it didn’t really matter that my first steps on the path were through rather intense meditation. I eventually realised that the sila which I thought was pretty good (after all I followed the 10 commandments) needed a bit of an overhaul to support further progress. So the cycle becomes a spiral and the journey continues.

I’m so glad to hear that your residential retreat was such a good experience. :slight_smile:

3 Likes