Ven Anālayo's book ~ Superiority Conceit in Buddhist Traditions, A Historical Perspective

Someone showed me this review, which I think is balanced, well-written and an accurate representation of the book. So I’m sharing it here in case of interest to anyone.
I would highly recommend Ven Analayo’s book.

8 Likes

He in fact points out his mindset: “self-conceit/pride”.

If so, this would be consistent with SN 12.61, where the Buddha says the body lasts a lifetime while the mind is constantly changing like a monkey between branches. The Buddha also says it’s easier for a “run of the mill” person to recognize the impermanence of the body than the mind.

2 Likes

Yes. Most of the material in the Vism has its source in the suttas, but because it becomes extended into practical exercises, many find it unrecognizable. The vism is a specialized meditation manual and often wrongly compared with the suttas.

3 Likes

Great video. Thanks for sharing. Analayo seems to differentiate what did the Buddha say vs authentic renderings, interpretations, and implementations of those teachings. The subsequent equivocation of all variations because they have something to offer is a bit tenuous, but understood if one considers alignment.

1 Like

True, and the reason for the attempted alignment is post-millennial Buddhism has an agenda broadened with the addition of social concern. Formerly it was only about personal awakening, but the millennial influence determines there is awareness populations like the Chinese will eventually be entering Buddhism, and the bulk of ordinary people will not achieve the full goal of awakening, so it’s a creation of a new class of teaching for laypeople.

1 Like

That makes sense. Practicing buddhism naturally results in the views shared. But this does not necessarily establish authenticity from other views. The dharma is only one tool is my rather large toolkit. I’d rather not apply it to questions and issues where other tools are a better fit. But in an era of western psychology that is more focused on adjustment, individuation, and goal acquisition the vision for happiness is often lost if not completely misunderstood. It seems the marketing funnel to any spiritual ideology involves small steps…