Vitakka vicāra (Jhana-factors)

Fair enough :slight_smile:

I’d like to eventually get around to rewinding the tape here and incorporating a narrative of sorts into the wiki here.

I also do intend to deliver on the report on “abhisandeti, parisandeti, paripūreti, parippharati” so that we might eliminate the possibility of “imameva kāyaṃ” as adverbial, take kāyaṃ as reflexive but pronominal and anaphorical, and therefore take kāyaṃ as referring back to “kāyo passambhati” and further take “kāyo passambhati” as a process that culminates with the cessation of breath in the fourth jhāna.

However, not to be dismissive of your fine suggestion, I’d like to perhaps put forth a potential dissenting argument in response to @silence’s last one:

[MN 64]

Idhānanda, bhikkhu upadhivivekā akusalānaṃ dhammānaṃ pahānā sabbaso kāyaduṭṭhullānaṃ paṭippassaddhiyā vivicceva kāmehi vivicca akusalehi dhammehi savitakkaṃ savicāraṃ vivekajaṃ pītisukhaṃ paṭhamaṃ jhānaṃ upasampajja viharati.

So @silence, how would you reconcile the fact that here we have it that first jhāna seems to require the “complete tranquilization of bodily inertia” (sabbaso kāyaduṭṭhullānaṃ paṭippassaddhi)?

How should we understand the three phrases in the three suttas, namely “oḷārikā kāyasaṅkhārā paṭippassambhanti” (DN 18), “passad­dha­kāya­saṅ­khāro” (AN 10.19) and “sabbaso kāyaduṭṭhullānaṃ paṭippassaddhi” (MN 64)?

2 Likes