Wanted đŸ•”ïžâ€â™€ : Translator for SC-Voice interface

:open_mouth: You’re incredible!

Can you tell me which ones? Maybe I can provide some context.

Will do.

@erlendne, as to the language code: There is also the two-letter-code “nb” for BokmĂ„l. That would perhaps be preferable, wouldn’t it?

2 Likes

Bildschirmfoto%20vom%202019-11-13%2021-38-41

Staging sewrver

You can see all the bits in the user section of Voice, but not in the admin section. If you have specific questions please ask, and I may be able to help with screenshots.

1 Like

Thanks. Looked through it and it looks pretty good. The line I was very uncertain about was “Dedicated to the dark bound for light”.

2 Likes

This is the dedication of the Voice project: It is dedicated to those who live in the dark (blind an those with visual disabilities). For the sighted, there is only “To the dark bound for light”, but for those who “view” the site with a screen reader there is still the word “dedicated”. (This is with regards to mobile devices for which this line would cause problems if it is too long.)

The line “To the dark bound for light” as it is displayed on the website is a link that leads to some suttas that have this term. If they are translated into Norwegian the wording in our file should ideally be the same as in these suttas.

1 Like

OK. Thanks for the clarification. I chose the somewhat poetic translation “Til mþrket vendt mot lyset” which means literally “To darkness facing the light”. Not sure about the contextual meaning of “bound for light”. Does it mean “moving towards light”?

2 Likes

Yes, exactly. See for example in AN 4.85. There the context is of course different.

1 Like

Cheers! I changed the translation accordingly and also did some other corrections. This is the result: no.zip (3.1 KB)

2 Likes

The staging server has now been updated.

If you click on the link “Dedikert til mĂžrket pĂ„ vei mot lyset” the effect is as if you type the respective passage into the search field. But Voice search does only search segmented texts, and so it won’t return a result in Norwegian, unless someone makes segmented Norwegian translations of the suttas.

Instead Voice is now searching the existing segmented translations and will return the results in English; or, in case you have the translation language set to German (“Deutsch”), one of the results will be in German (the others haven’t been translated yet). Looks funny with a real language mix:

1 Like

Sadly I haven’t found much time so far to work on it, but I’d very much like to finish before the end-of-the-year release. I’ll try to carve out some time this week.

3 Likes

We are planning to release on Dec 9 hopefully.

3 Likes

Finished! :slightly_smiling_face:

I couldn’t find an existing Dutch translation of “Dedicated to the dark bound for light” so I translated it myself.

Can I do this after the Dec 9 release?

5 Likes

:open_mouth: !!!!!!!! !

Incredible! :dolphin: :woman_cartwheeling: Thank you so much!

Ssssuuure! :pray:

3 Likes

Now on staging, next week on production! :+1:

3 Likes

Wow! :heart_eyes: Looking forward to seeing the production version! :smiley:

4 Likes

Bedankt, Robbie. :pray:

4 Likes

Update on SC-Voice settings

Dear friends, Voice has been working on an update of its settings which can already be seen on the staging server. Find your language under “website language”:

Voice has many languages by now, thanks to you all!

The new settings include a few new terms for the interface which you find in your respective language.ts file. Some terms have just been added in English, without translation, and for others Karl has tried a translation by Google. :scream_cat:

It would be great if you could check your files and update whatever needs updating. I’m adding the links to your files here:

Thank you all so much for your help! :pray:

7 Likes

(See above post.)

1 Like

Is there a link to the English version so I can understand what Karl had as basis to translate with Google Translate? :anjal:

2 Likes
2 Likes

Will take a look either this weekend or next one :slight_smile:

2 Likes