Was Ven Maha Boowa an arahant and why?

David, allow me to clarify. When I said “I do not see that”, I was referring to this:

Please quote me exactly which sentence you believe the Buddha the mind of the monk being like fire. And please quote me anywhere in that sutta where the Buddha is saying anything about citta going anywhere or not. Because I do not see that in the English, nor in the Pāli.

To be precise, I was actually saying that he said they are “exterminated, and unable to arise in the future.” Form itself might continue in an non-animate way, as the body decomposes, in my personal opinion.

From that sutta - I will highlight the five aggregates for you:

“In the same way, Vaccha, any form by which a Realized One might be described has been cut off at the root, made like a palm stump, exterminated, and unable to arise in the future. A Realized One is freed from reckoning in terms of form. They’re deep, immeasurable, and hard to fathom, like the ocean. ‘They’re reborn’, ‘they’re not reborn’, ‘they’re both reborn and not reborn’, ‘they’re neither reborn nor not reborn’—none of these apply.

Any feeling

perception

choices

consciousness by which a Realized One might be described has been cut off at the root, made like a palm stump, exterminated, and unable to arise in the future.

By the way that is actually the second time he mentions the 5 aggregates in this sutta!

Now you are asking my opinion. It’s good to differentiate that from merely analysing what the Buddha is directly saying in this sutta. So, for my opinion? Perhaps it is pointing to the idea that the root of the khandhas is cut off at awakening, but they continue until death. Hence why death is called ‘nibbāna without remainder’. The fire is no longer given fuel, so when the current fuel is used up, no more fire arises. Because there are no more khandhas to feed the fire. That is to say, the fire was only ever ecisting dependent on its fuel. And the khandhas are the fuel. And this is why enlightenment represents the end of rebirth.

I most certainly did not state that.

Correct. But saying citta is permanent, and ‘not anatta’, and the ‘core’ of a person, is quite another matter!

I was referring to the views of Maha Boowa, which I quoted above. Here is another quote from Maha Boowa:

The citta is conditioned by anicca, dukkha, and anattã only because things that are subject to these laws come spinning in to become involved with the citta and so cause it to spin along with them. However, though it spins in unison with conditioned phenomena, the citta never disintegrates or falls apart.

So we have citta as “the nucleus of existence—the core of the knower”, something “beyond the range of anicca, dukkha, and anattã” which is “deathless”, and “never disintegrates or falls apart”.

And here he seems to directly refer to the citta as atta:

If the Citta has still not seen anything from itself in a time of necessity, it still has not seen the importance of itself, and so it will always take refuge in other people. In the Dhamma that the Lord taught, the saying: “Attahi attano Natho” — “Self is the refuge of self” is still not accepted in the heart.

1 Like

Just like to throw out different stuff …

Reality

For a number of reasons I can say that it is Reality itself. I have already touched on one or two of them. This Void is not mere emptiness, it is not mere absence, it is Self-Aware. It is Self-Awareness itself, and that makes it quite different from a void which is just an unconscious absence. Secondly, as I said, it is full to overflowing, full of what it’s entertaining. Thirdly, it says to itself, “This is for real. I am this. I AM.” It has its own interior self-justification. It is self-validating from within and when experienced cannot be doubted. It is after all what I’m most sure of, because I am it. All else is mere hearsay, is off centre, remote, changing, inscrutable, a product of ignorance. This Clarity I know because I am it. Here I have inside information, and only here. All the rest is external acquaintance. For all these good reasons I say it is real and all else is comparatively unreal. (Douglas Harding. Quoted in Seeing Who You Really Are by Richard Lang)

1 Like

Citta is merely the ‘uninvestigated’ process of perception as seen in samatha (tranquility). Citta is composed of the aggregates as well.

With metta

http://www.quotemirror.com/data/uploads/2014/09/Ikkyu_Mirror_facing_mirror_20140929-1000x1414.png

When talking about samanas it’s skillful to refer to them with a honorfic title i.e Ven, Aj, Bhte, Ayya etc, all the more when it’s polimical as sometimes our conceit/ ditthi māna can start to take hold, and such things can help keep it in check

4 Likes

Nibbana is a state in which ‘things’ are seen to be manifestations of the three characteristics. Any attempt to look at or ponder the nature of Nibbana becomes an event in and of itself, with resulting manifestations of the three characteristics. Nothing can be said about Nibbana without disturbing/disrupting the state: all that can be usefully said is that Dukkha exists and Dukkha ceases. The Buddha taught nothing else.

1 Like