Web services that don't work with SuttaCentral

This can be a place to collect website “services” that don’t work with SuttaCentral.net.

The basic idea with these services is that it “scrapes” the main content of the site and then does something with it.

This is a wiki post. Please feel free to edit the top post

Websites/Browser Plugins

Browser plugins

Software

Chrome Reader Mode

This feature is deactivated by default. Here are instructions for enabling it.

What’s not working

An icon should appear allowing a page to be viewed in Reader Mode (as well as a menu item) however for SC pages no such icon appears

Almost works (and might not be fixable?)

Push to Kindle (also plugin)

What’s happening

Users should be able to convert a page to a kindle book and send it to their device.

Even if only English is shown on the page being converted, Pali and English appears in the created book

FireFox Reader view

What’s happening

Web pages should allow the user to press F9 and convert the page to a simplified reading view.
Even if only English is shown on the page being converted, Pali and English appears in the created book

Documentation: Firefox Reader View for clutter-free web pages | Firefox Help

Web services that DO work with SuttaCentral

Weava

???

Joplin Web Clipper

• Users should be able to click “Clip complete page” and have the contents of the page copied to a new note in the desktop Joplin app.
    It works!

https://joplinapp.org/clipper/

1 Like

We’re testing lifting to main content into lightDOM, and I can confirm that Weava and Joplin work just fine.

4 Likes

Thank you for working on this!

We should be pushing on to staging soon, then we can test it on the web.

2 Likes

Interesting, I’ve never heard of lightDOM before, Venerable @sujato . May it go smoothly! :slightly_smiling_face:

Here’s a wild and crazy idea: somehow additionally publish all the suttacentral.net content using the Gemini protocol. The Gemini protocol is very purposely made simple, and therefore lends itself to straightforward recursive downloading of said content, with a tool like gemget.

Then one can view the content offline, in the same simple format that it was published in. No epic battles against Javascript!

Most of these things should now work with SC. Anyway Weava does, but I can’t test all of them.

If the problem was something other than ShadowDOM, it won’t be affected.

And BTWs, maybe you’d be interested to publish a thread explaining how Weava works? It seems like the kind of extension that many users might find handy.

Sorry, I don’t know anything about that, but anyone is welcome to build this against our API.

1 Like

Great!!! Thank you Bhante and everyone who worked on this.

I have tested the Push to Kindle site. This is an example of a paragraph that it will find and output.

So I have heard. Evaṁ me sutaṁ— At one time the Buddha was staying near Sāvatthī in Jeta’s Grove, Anāthapiṇḍika’s monastery. ekaṁ samayaṁ bhagavā sāvatthiyaṁ viharati jetavane anāthapiṇḍikassa ārāme.

This was generated from a page that only had the English showing. So that’s not bad.

For the Joplin web clipper, doing a “simplified page” gives Pali and English even when only English is on the page clipped. “Complete page” gives just the Pali. In both cases, anchors are included.

FireFox reader view is similar to the above two in that the Pali and English is all together even when doing a page with only English.

Reader Mode still doesn’t work on chrome, meaning that the icon and menu item don’t appear on SC sutta pages.

Yeah, not much can be done about that. The language segments are just wrapped in spans, so any third-party app will just display them as inline. You can’t use divs for this, as it will stuff up the regular paragraph view.

It’s a weird beast, it seems Chrome really doesn’t want people to use it. Presumably because there are no ads.

Right. I was really just including it in case it gave any clues to figuring out what was going on.

That’s what I figured. Interestingly, the Joplin “Clip complete page” only pulls out the English. But as you said, that’s really on the third party apps.

Thanks for the work you did on this!

Glad to help! Thanks for the feedback, sometimes a gentle push is all that’s needed.

Honestly I’m always very hesitant to because I know how much work (or at least I can imagine a fraction of it) goes into the site. I hate to point out any shortcomings, especially since it’s not like you and your team are just sitting around on your hands waiting for things to do.

Any way, thank you!

1 Like