Were the 4 jhanas a unique discovery of the Buddha?

"I remember that, being seated in the cool shade of a jambul tree, while my father the Sakyan was at work, I dwelled secluded from sensuality and secluded from unwholesome states, with application and sustaining, with joy and happiness born of seclusion, having attained the first absorption.
MN 36

I remember that, accompanying my father, the Śākyan Śuddhodana, at his work and while being seated in the shadow of a Jambul tree, I dwelled secluded from sensuality and secluded from bad and unwholesome states, with application and sustaining, with joy and happinessborn of seclusion, having attained the first absorption.
(Liu 2010, p. 222)

Furthermore, I remember that a long time ago I saw farmers resting in their fields. I approached the base of a Jambul tree and sat down cross-legged. Secluded from sensuality and secluded from bad and unwholesome states, with [directed] awareness and [sustained] contemplation, with joy and happiness born of seclusion, I attained and dwelled in the accomplishment of the first absorption.
(MĀ 117 this discourse is not a parallel to MN 36, but rather to AN 3.38, orAN 3.39 in the alternative count by Bodhi 2012).

It is noteworthy that in all versions the Buddha-to-be qualifies his experience as the “first” absorption, even though at that time he would hardly have known that this is the first in a series of four levels of absorption. As in the case of the passages on reaching Nirvana here and now, discussed above, it seems fair to assume that the standard description has been applied here in order to convey that the experience the Buddha had in his youth was of the same type as the first in the standard depiction of four levels of absorption regularly mentioned in the discourses.

In the case of those who proclaimed the first absorption to be equivalent to reaching Nirvana here and now, the very fact that they considered this experience to be the final goal implies that they were not aware of higher levels of absorption. Without such awareness, however, it hardly makes sense for them to qualify their experience as the “first” absorption. Hence, it can safely be assumed that the employment of these analytical descriptions reflects the understanding of the reciters when the discourse was delivered, rather than the understanding of those who had these experiences in the first place.

In the account of the future Buddha’s progress to awakening, this recollection forms a turning point. Recalling what he had experienced before he had gone forth and engaged in various practices, which had failed to lead him to awakening, helped him to change perspective. The resultant change of perspective is based on the realization that the wholesome type of happiness experienced during absorption need not be shunned, as it can support progress to awakening.”

Analayo
BriefHistoryBuddhistAbsorption.pdf (475.0 KB)
Thanks to @Khemarato.bhikkhu for the link. :slight_smile:

I don’t know what the truth is but I believe that we should not be afraid of questioning everything, and that we should not let cognitive dissonance dissuade us from considering real possibilities.

I think it is possible that the texts may have been corrupted even to such an extent, for the very simple reason that we can’t prove otherwise.

There’s a distinction to be made between reasonable faith and blind faith (by which I mean any instance of considering something to be true because it saves us some cognitive dissonance, while that same thing may still turn out to be false), and we should be very careful when we take anything on faith.

We must never stop questioning our assumptions

2 Likes

Exactly. The whole purpose of this passage is to show that jhana is simply a natural state of mind, free of metaphysics.

I’ve heard so many stories of people with similar experiences. A hunter who, waiting for a deer, went into deep meditation. A young man, returning from a blissful meeting with friends, so happy and content, he went into stillness and nearly drove his car off the road. A man who, frustrated with getting no teachings on meditation, just sat in a noisy hall full of mosquitoes and went “deep inside”. Were all of these, or any one them, “jhana”? Who can say? But in each case, they were a profound and transformative experience that propelled people to change their life and seek freedom. That’s what matters, not whether a specific state fits the exact category that we have an idea about.

5 Likes