What are ALL the things/questions the buddha didn't teach or answer

So far I know of these. (Including doubles)

The ten unanswered questions:

1. The world is eternal.
  2. The world is not eternal.
  3. The world is (spatially) infinite.
  4. The world is not (spatially) infinite.
  5. The being imbued with a life force is identical with the body.
  6. The being imbued with a life force is not identical with the body.
  7. The Tathagata (a perfectly enlightened being) exists after death.
  8. The Tathagata does not exist after death.
  9. The Tathagata both exists and does not exist after death.
  10. The Tathagata neither exists nor does not exist after death.
    Majjhima Nikaya 63 and 72.

62 wrong views in Digha Nikaya 1.

For example: the cosmos is eternal, or not eternal, or finite, or infinite; the soul and the body are the same thing, or they are different things; after death, a Realized One exists, or doesn’t exist, or both exists and doesn’t exist, or neither exists nor doesn’t exist.
Samyutta Nikaya 56.41

Four unthinkables:
Scope of the Buddhas
Scope of one in absorption
Results of deeds
Speculation about the world
Anguttara Nikaya 4.77

1. What am I?
  2. How am I?
  3. Am I?
  4. Am I not?
  5. Did I exist in the past?
  6. Did I not exist in the past?
  7. What was I in the past?
  8. How was I in the past?
  9. Having been what, did I become what in the past?
  10. Shall I exist in future?
  11. Shall I not exist in future?
  12. What shall I be in future?
  13. How shall I be in future?
  14. Having been what, shall I become what in future?
  15. Whence came this person?
  16. Whither will he go?
    Majjhima Nikaya 2 (a question about those, 5 to 14, is that partially not reflecting about samsara? Or do I understand that wrong?)

And the Sutta where someone asked the buddha if all the world is becoming enlightened or half or a third? I csnnot find this sutta in google.

These are all I know of, are there more?

Thanks for every contribution.

2 Likes

This is interesting. However with the gift of the Tathagata’s Buddhahood, all these questions have an answer or a response, often answered that these questions posed are not correctly phrased to give an answer of Nibbana, with the correct Vision given. The Buddha was not lacking in Wisdom on these issues, and He has fully seen the truth. I wonder if some others can bring out some of the responses to these questions, from the Pali Suttas.

This is interesting. However with the gift of the Tathagata’s Buddhahood, all these questions have an answer or a response, often answered that these questions posed are not correctly phrased to give an answer of Nibbana, with the correct Vision given. The Buddha was not lacking in Wisdom on these issues, and He has fully seen the truth. I wonder if some others can bring out some of the responses to these questions, from the Pali Suttas.

I have written where to find all the suttas.

1 Like

Thank you. That will be some good studying.

1 Like

SN 56.31:

Once the Blessed One was staying at Kosambi in the simsapa forest. Then, picking up a few simsapa leaves with his hand, he asked the monks, “What do you think, monks: Which are more numerous, the few simsapa leaves in my hand or those overhead in the simsapa forest?”

“The leaves in the hand of the Blessed One are few in number, lord. Those overhead in the simsapa forest are more numerous.”

"In the same way, monks, those things that I have known with direct knowledge but have not taught are far more numerous [than what I have taught]. And why haven’t I taught them? Because they are not connected with the goal, do not relate to the rudiments of the holy life, and do not lead to disenchantment, to dispassion, to cessation, to calm, to direct knowledge, to self-awakening, to Unbinding. That is why I have not taught them.

"And what have I taught? ‘This is stress… This is the origination of stress… This is the cessation of stress… This is the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress’: This is what I have taught. And why have I taught these things? Because they are connected with the goal, relate to the rudiments of the holy life, and lead to disenchantment, to dispassion, to cessation, to calm, to direct knowledge, to self-awakening, to Unbinding. This is why I have taught them.

“Therefore your duty is the contemplation, ‘This is stress… This is the origination of stress… This is the cessation of stress.’ Your duty is the contemplation, ‘This is the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress.’”