What do you think about Ven Thanissaro’s view on Nibbāna?

I appreciate your intellectual honesty, recognizing how the suttas talk about annihilation differently than you do, suggesting to call your version “annihilation2”. Because some don’t do so, and end up arguing a straw men when they accuse “cessationalism” (to suggest a new term) to be the annihilationalism the Buddha rejected.

But let me ask you a question. When you die, would you say your body is “annihilated”? If yes, is this “annihilation” a problem? If no, then why do you have difficulty applying the idea of cessation (rather than annihilation) to the mind and consciousness?

Because the Buddha said:

an unlearned ordinary person would be better off taking this body made up of the four primary elements to be their self, rather than the mind. Why is that? This body made up of the four primary elements is seen to last for a year, or for two, three, four, five, ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, or a hundred years, or even longer. But that which is called ‘mind’ or ‘sentience’ or ‘consciousness’ arises as one thing and ceases as another all day and all night. (SN12.62)

The problem that cessation of the mind feels like annihilation lies with us identifying with the mind, thinking that if it ceases, “we” also cease alongside. But this is the whole illusion the Buddha warned us about over and over again.

If we no longer identify with the aggregates, parinibbana is like turning off a computer, or like the wind stops blowing: nothing is annihilated when those things happen. It’s just cessation of processes.

But this stream is all suffering, and suffering is cut off. That’s not a problem, that’s good. That also doesn’t make it annihilationism—or not what the Buddha called annihilationism, anyway, as I think you realize.

But if we use “annihilationism” differently, we might as well call consciousness-eternalist views views ‘annihilism’ because although a consciousness remains, the body, feelings, perceptions, sankharas, and so forth are all cut off, or “annihilated”.

In fact, one sutta uses the term vibhava with reference to the aggregates (usually translated as ‘exterminated’ but as dictionaries suggest, it also means ‘annihilated’, and the annihilists used this term as well). Notice that consciousness is also included:

You understand as it really is that form, feeling, perception, will, and consciousness will be annihilated. (SN22.55)

In other words, yes parinibbana is a sort of annihilation indeed. But only of the aggregates, not of a self. It’s annihilation2, as you called it. But this annihilation of the aggregates including consciousness is not the annihilation that is denied in the suttas, where it refers to the annihilation of a self/soul.

I also think love and compassion are valuable. But there’s different levels of ‘valuable’. It doesn’t help to think in black and white. Also, on a topic as deep as nibbana, I also think intuitions can be betraying. This is why the path starts of with right view and not right intuition :wink:

13 Likes

“cessationalism” (to suggest a new term)

Ah yes I like this name more than mine, simpler and less wordy.

Regarding the alternative view, perhaps we could label it something like “continuitism”. This is the view that some subtle being or reality continues on after paranibbana. Or perhaps just “positivism”, to contrast it with the purely negation focused view of cessationalism.

To make this consistent with Kaccana sutta we’d have to say this reality which continues is neither a samsaric existence, nor a total non existence.
I should note this is the common view of nibbana in Mahayana, and was also held by an early school the Mahasamgika, so it’s not some new invention, but another very ancient view.

Ok great so now we have named our competing views!

But let me ask you a question. When you die, would you say your body is “annihilated”? If yes, is this “annihilation” a problem? If no, then why do you have difficulty applying the idea of cessation (rather than annihilation) to the mind and consciousness?

Yes I do think the body is in a sense annihilated, in the sense that is ceases to exist, it is destroyed. Is it a problem? I think I would have to say that it obviously is. It causes pain, suffering and loss. That much is obvious. This is kind of why the Buddha started his journey. It’s the dukkha of death… Of course this annihilation is not the total annihilation of a person’s stream of continuity, since rebirth exists. So it’s not as problematic as the absolute annihilation of nibbana, where the entire stream of continuity is said to end.

The problem that cessation of the mind feels like annihilation lies with us identifying with the mind, thinking that if it ceases, “we” also cease alongside. But this is the whole illusion the Buddha warned us about over and over again.

If we no longer identify with the aggregates, parinibbana is like turning off a computer, or like the wind stops blowing: nothing is annihilated when those things happen. It’s just cessation of processes.

But just because there’s no fixed self that is annihilated does not mean there’s nothing, and that thus nothing is coming to an end at paranibbana. There is something coming to an end - a series of constantly changing processes (which are liberated). A symphony is series of processes, but they can cease to be played forever (if the sheet music is lost etc). And this is a kind of loss of value that is meaningful (especially when its the mind of an awakened being).

But this stream is all suffering, and suffering is cut off. That’s not a problem, that’s good. That also doesn’t make it annihilationism—or not what the Buddha called annihilationism, anyway, as I think you realize.

But the consciousness of a Buddha is not suffering. It’s filled with wisdom, compassion and other amazing qualities. If this mind is cut off, annihilated, ceases ( all terms which seems to mean the same to me here), this seems obviously bad to me. Does it not seem that way to you? A Buddha’s consciousness is pure (suddha), luminous (prabhasvara) and blissful. The value of this seems obviously superior than the value of non existence and its loss seems like a serious loss to the whole world.

In other words, yes parinibbana is a sort of annihilation indeed. But only of the aggregates, not of a self. It’s annihilation2, as you called it. But this annihilation of the aggregates including consciousness is not the annihilation that is denied in the suttas, where it refers to the annihilation of a self/soul.

Yes I am glad we’re at least on the same page about this! making sure we’re talking about the same thing is half the race in any philosophical discourse. Of course, my view is that this kind of annihilation is also problematic. In promoting it as the highest spiritual ideal, it seems to be saying that a kind of spiritual death is the best possible goal, the best thing in the universe. But this just seems wrong because why would the annihilation of a consciousness free of suffering and free of the view of a self (the mind of a Buddha) be good?

It also seems to be promoting a kind of non-existence at the goal of the path, which to me seems like a metaphysical extreme. As the Buddha says to Kaccāna, the middle way he teaches is between existence and non-existence. But this obviously seems like a teaching of non-existence after paranibbana.

Also this goal just does not seem to be something that is more valuable than other virtues, like a Buddha’s compassion or his wisdom for example. It’s a purely negative goal and as such is only valuable from the perspective of the person reaching nibbana. Meanwhile a Buddha’s compassion or wisdom is valuable for more than just one person. This alone seems consideration enough to show that its axiologically problematic. But wait, there’s more! It still seems better for there to be some continuity after paranibbana of a blissful and liberated kind of subtle being than for there to be nothing after. After all, we already agree that a liberated consciousness is very valuable. And we also agree that there are many things that are more valuable than pure nothingness. So it just seems like a no contest here.

So, these are some of the reasons why I just find this view quite unattractive.

Also, on a topic as deep as nibbana, I also think intuitions can be betraying. This is why the path starts of with right view and not right intuition :wink:

Fair enough, but everyone is ultimately relying on certain priors when they are evaluating competing views. If you’re promoting a specific goal as something someone should strive for, you’re going to have to explain why it’s attractive in the first place. And part of that is dealing with people’s sense of value, i.e. their axiological views. This is not purely an intellectual thing based on people’s beliefs, but it also involves their emotional life and intuitions. Describing nirvana as turning off a computer just does not cut it I’m afraid. At least not for me (and I suspect, many others). You have to think about that computer as something which holds infinitely valuable data for example, as well as the mind of a living being. Now, turning off the computer seems quite problematic…

Let me just try to explain why I feel this ‘cessationalism’ is so problematic in another way. The Buddha spent years on a difficult spiritual path and even more years teaching this path to others. He made herculean effort to achieve this nibbana. He describes this spiritual goal in the most amazing and glowing terms (“the truth”, “the subtle”, “the everlastin” (dhuva), “the deathless”, “the blessed” (siva), “the wonderful”, “the island”, “the shelter”, “the beyond”, “the unborn”, “the unconditioned element”), as something that transcends even the bliss of the highest gods. And cessationalism would have us believe that this goal is basically metaphysically identical to what materialists think happens at death, the absolute annihilation of mind and body, pure non existence. To me , there’s something deeply philosophically unsatisfying here.

Edit: Bhikkhu Bodhi briefly explains why he favors a kind of positive / continuitism interpretation in this video:

One of the interesting points he makes in this video is that nibbana is described in some suttas with terms which suggest a positive metaphysical reality, such as dhatu (element), ayatana (dimension), etc.

Another interesting thing he mentions is that the final nibbana is described with terms like “immeasurable” and “inconceivable”. But to me, it seems like the cessationalist nibbana cannot really fit these descriptions. What I mean is, I can easily conceive of the cutting off of all the aggregates, it’s just the negation of all my current experience. This doesn’t seem like something which is either “marvelous” (another description of nibbana) nor “inconceivable”.

13 Likes

You would have gotten on well with Ānanda :slight_smile:

1 Like

For awhile I used to get quite caught up in these discussions about the nature of nibbana and frequently posted and commented in the seemingly endless debates about the question here. The question literally would keep me up at night. Then, I realized every minute I spent worrying about the ontology of nibbana was a minute I wasn’t spending practicing to get there. If we really wish to understand what nibbana is like, we won’t find it in books or forums but in our own experience when we reach the remainderless cessation of the kilesas and khandhas.

7 Likes

Hi Javier,

I see where you’re coming from, and I can understand that it seems unsatisfying to you. It’s a “feeling” matter to you rather than intellectual, which I can’t really address, especially through an internet board. The noble ones came to their insight not through philosophical debate but through deep meditation, and I think it’s only that kind of meditation which can change your mind. See AN9.34 where Sāriputta explains how to understand it is a pleasant thing when “nothing is experienced”. So your question was already asked in the time of the Buddha. :slight_smile:

But I will try to address some ideas, mainly for sake of others who may read this and be more confused on the textual/theoretical level.

I’m happy to call your view ‘continuitism’, but to me that is just a different word for eternalism. Because there either exists something after parinibbana or not. If there is a type of “subtle being” or consciousness still there, it is a type of existence. Saying that such a “being” counts as neither existence or non-existence just seems equivocative to me.

This is not what the Kaccanagotta sutta tries to say, anyway. There are some rather unhelpful translations of this text, because the terms atthitā and natthitā are very rare and semantically vague. But the two opposing views are externalism (something will exist) and annihilationism (something (a self) will no longer exist). Just two suttas later (SN12.17) the “teaching in the middle” is explicitly said to avoid eternalism and annihilationism, so that is what the terms in the Kaccanagotta sutta refer to as well. That’s how it is traditionally understood, including by the commentaries. (I don’t know if you knew that or only read Ven. Thanissaro’s interpretation.)

The middle view between eternalism (some thing will exist, atthitā) and annihilationism (some thing will no longer exist, natthitā) is exactly cessationism. Because this view does agree that things come to an end (so it isn’t eternal) but what comes to an end is not an entity (so it is not annihilation). Nibbana is even explicitly called “the cessation of existence” in some suttas. And the Kaccanagotta Sutta also explains the middle view as encompassing cessation; not as a “continuity” of any sorts. This is what dependent cessation means: processes cease, but not a self/soul/entity.

Another indication that the wrong views in the Kaccanagotta sutta are annihilation and eternalism is that they are said to be held by “most of the world”, i.e. by all but the noble ones. In Iti49 it is further explained what this means:

Under the sway of two views some deities and humans hold back and some take things too far. But the insightful see.

And how do some hold back? Deities and humans love to exist. They delight in existence, and rejoice in it. When the Teaching for the cessation of existence [i.e. parinibbāna] is being explained to them, they do not become enthusiastic, inspired, decided, or determined. That is how some hold back. [=eternalism]

And how do some go too far? On the other hand, some are frustrated, ashamed, or fed up with existence. They find happiness in annihilation and say: ‘Surely, after the body breaks down, after death, when this self (!) is destroyed and eradicated, and it exists no more, then that is peaceful, that is sublime—that is how it is.’ That is how some go too far. [=annihilation]

And how do the insightful see? Then you see what exists as having come into being [i.e. dependent arising]. Having seen so, you practice to get disillusioned with it, to lose desire for it, and to make it cease. [i.e. dependent cessation] That is how the insightful see. [=cessationism]

In my opinion, and I hope you don’t take this the wrong way, but “they do not become enthusiastic” seems to apply to you. And I only say this because I get the sense that you can understand how this may apply. The Buddha didn’t teach these matters to people who weren’t developed enough.

But it is still suffering, that’s the thing. Life is suffering whether or not you are enlightened. And that’s why cessation is attractive, because it ends suffering. Wouldn’t you agree that the cessation of suffering is a good thing? You probably do. Then you just have to shift your perception of what suffering is, more deeply understanding the first noble truth. (And the Buddha no longer being here may be a loss, but it’s our “suffering”, not his.)

Also, you paint a very black-and-white picture of enlightenment versus cessation, but that loses so much perspective. May I suggest you forget your views for a moment, and just imagine that there are only two options available: eternal suffering in samsara or cessation of existence. That to continue forever in some sort of timeless state of neither existent nor non-existent consciousness (whatever that is) just isn’t an option in our universe. Then suddenly it makes a lot of sense why the Buddha praised the cessation of existence, why it’s the only real “shelter” from suffering.

It’s hard to understand. That’s why the Buddha even when he was alive was mistaken to teach annihilationism, and why the devas are said to be afraid that they would cease to be (rather than just impersonal suffering coming to an end). It’s probably why the Buddha was hesitant to teach in the first place.

Also, if the Buddha taught continuitism, then why would he be mistaken for an annihilationist? (MN22) The two ideas are quite far apart. He would have been called an eternalist instead.

The same ancient mistake is made by people who accuse cessationism to be annihilationism (of the suttas). I mean, the mistake is already there in the suttas! So I feel in good company when I’m accused of teaching annihilation, namely the company of the Buddha. And how does the Buddha respond to the accusations? By saying “all that I declare there is, is just suffering and a cessation of suffering”. In other words, there is cessation but not a self that ceases. To soothe the accusations he doesn’t say “there is an everlasting consciousness” or whatever, which would have been a much clearer way to do so. But he doesn’t, because that’s not what he taught.

It’s also said in AN10.29 that the annihilationism is the “foremost of outsiders’ views” because they will likely be less attached to existence and not be put off by the cessation of existence. What they get wrong, though, is that they personalize cessation as “I will cease” rather than “suffering will cease”.

Well, it’s also called an island, as you said. Obviously that is just an evocative term, not to be taken literally. Those terms are emotionally positive, but nibbana is ontologically always described in the negative. In fact, that people have to go by such vague terms as āyatana and dhātu when scouring the suttas, that Bhikkhu Bodhi has little else to go by in the texts (while modern continuitists have no difficulty making their ideas clear, using terms like “consciousness” and so forth) indicates that their view differs from the Buddha’s. Again, the Buddha would have called nibbāna a consciousness if it was.

When nibbāna is called a ‘dhātu’ (element) it means there are two elements (or stages) to nibbāna: enlightenment and parinibbāna. This doesn’t mean this “element” is a thing in itself. The two nibbāna-elements are the two stages (or aspects) of extinguishment. (Iti44) This ‘aspect’ is not a metaphysical reality. It’s just one “element” of the cessation process.

Āyatana is as far as I know only used once to refer to (pari)nibbāna (Ud8.1), in an inspired utterance, which is as it’s name said, meant to inspire. When explaining what this means, the Buddha gives a long list of negations that include ‘no abiding’, and concludes “just this is the end of sufering”. In other words, the end of suffering is not the presence of something else, but just the end of all the things he mentioned.

As I said at the start, I know that doesn’t really address your point of view, but yeah. :slight_smile:

I don’t know where nibbāna is called inconceivable or which Pāli term Bhikkhu Bodhi renders as such, but it is probably the term which Sujato describes as ‘unthinkable’. If it is a reference to nibbāna it seems on first glance to mean you can’t think your way there. You have to follow the path. Also, while you think you can conceive of cessation, as long as people don’t have right view, they’re getting it wrong on some level. For example, they feel that something valuable ceases to be, instead of only suffering. So then they’re not conceiving it correctly.

If nibbāna (like the continuity-nibbāna) were ‘inconceivable’ because it would be not understandable, then that doesn’t align with the fact that the Buddha talked about right view, right knowledge, insight, into these things. Then you’re just going by faith, basically. What I’m saying is, if people really have some sort of experience (whether right or wrong) of a “conscious nibbāna”, they can describe it in better terms than just “inconceivable” and “element”. Which is of course exactly what they do. But the Buddha didn’t.

11 Likes

Hi, thanks for your detailed reply. I always enjoy these in depth discussions. Obviously its a difficult and subtle topic in which there is much disagreement. I acknowledge that anything said about nibbana could easily be mistaken, given that we are talking about something transcendent.

I see where you’re coming from, and I can understand that it seems unsatisfying to you. It’s a “feeling” matter to you rather than intellectual

Well I don’t want to say that my concerns are merely emotional, since I have philosophical and rational concerns as well that I’ve laid out.

The noble ones came to their insight not through philosophical debate but through deep meditation, and I think it’s only that kind of meditation which can change your mind.

I agree of course! But the positivist view about nibbana can agree to this idea and say that the blissful experiences that are free of all suffering that are experienced by liberated beings point to the possibility of a way of being that is free of suffering.

I’m happy to call your view ‘continuitism’, but to me that is just a different word for eternalism. Because there either exists something after parinibbana or not. If there is a type of “subtle being” or consciousness still there, it is a type of existence. Saying that such a “being” counts as neither existence or non-existence just seems equivocative to me.

I’m kind of preferring “positivism” now because continuitism just sounds too strange lol. But anyways, I don’t see my view as equivocation because I see the “existence” that the Buddha rejects as the existence of a self or an absolutist kind of existence (as is taught in Brahamanical religions which posit unchanging substances or essences, selves, eternal unchanging consciousnesses, etc). I kind of follow how Sujato understands “existence” in these threads as a term being infused with absolutist implications - Existence, eternity, and the gods and On not-self, existence, and ontological strategies

Thus, I understand the Kaccana sutta as saying the middle way is between an essentialist or absolutist mode of existence, and non-existence simpliciter.

But the two opposing views are eternalism (something will exist) and annihilationism (something (a self) will no longer exist).

The way I understand this (very controversial and difficult passage that has been interpreted in different ways by different people!) is eternalism = an essentialist or absolute type of existence and annihilationism = any process leading to the total non-existence of anything.

The middle view between eternalism (some thing will exist, atthitā) and annihilationism (some thing will no longer exist, natthitā) is exactly cessationism. Because this view does agree that things come to an end (so it isn’t eternal) but what comes to an end is not an entity (so it is not annihilation). Nibbana is even explicitly called “the cessation of existence” in some suttas. And the Kaccanagotta Sutta also explains the middle view as encompassing cessation; not as a “continuity” of any sorts…

Well that is just what we disagree on isn’t it? I think that something can exist, but since it does not exist as a self or as an absolute existence - but as a dependent, dynamic, non absolute kind of being - it counts as the middle way. Indeed, this is exactly what dependent arising is. We exist as dependently arisen streams / processes, but this is not an absolute kind of existence.

Another indication that the wrong views in the Kaccanagotta sutta are annihilation and eternalism is that they are said to be held by “most of the world”, i.e. by all but the noble ones. In Iti49 it is further explained what this means…

Yes but this sutta is talking about dependent arising coming to an end, it doesn’t say that the outcome of this is a kind of non-existence or non-being. This is precisely what we disagree on. Of course I agree that views of a self, and all the samsaric process of dependent arising must come to an end, but where I disagree is that this entails complete non existence i.e. cessationalism.

In my opinion, and I hope you don’t take this the wrong way, but “they do not become enthusiastic” seems to apply to you. And I only say this because I get the sense that you can understand how this may apply. The Buddha didn’t teach these matters to people who weren’t developed enough.

Haha, I don’t mind, I believe this discussion a good faith discussion between people who honestly disagree on a very difficult issue. Also, I understand why this understanding would follow from within your framework. Though a more charitable reading is just that I disagree honestly because its a difficult philosophical issue, not because “I am not developed enough” (not to say I am super spiritually developed either, its just a better way to have a philosophical discussion to assume your discussion partner is your intellectual peer.)

But anyways, of course I disagree with this, since my framework on this is different. I see these people (those who ‘go too far’) as those who cling to the view of a self. But my view does not say that a self continues into nibbana (since there are no selves at all). Likewise, I think that you go to far in promoting a kind of non-existence which strays from the middle way.

But it is still suffering, that’s the thing. Life is suffering whether or not you are enlightened.

I just don’t think that the enlightened suffer…that just kind of seems obvious. When I read the descriptions of arahants or the Buddha it seems to me they have gone beyond suffering in this life.

Also, you paint a very black-and-white picture of enlightenment versus cessation, but that loses so much perspective. May I suggest you forget your views for a moment, and just imagine that there are only two options available: eternal suffering in samsara or cessation of existence. That to continue forever in some sort of timeless state of neither existent nor non-existent consciousness (whatever that is) just isn’t an option in our universe. Then suddenly it makes a lot of sense why the Buddha praised the cessation of existence, why it’s the only real “shelter” from suffering.

From my perspective, it is your view which is somewhat black and white (or even an “either - or” fallacy), since it literally only gives us two choices lol! There are literally only two options in your view, non existence or suffering. But if that’s the case then how do you explain the nibbana experienced by awakened beings? This is a state of no suffering but yet there is a living being in that state.

Also, if the Buddha taught continuitism, then why would he be mistaken for an annihilationist? (MN22) The two ideas are quite far apart. He would have been called an eternalist instead.

Oh this seems obvious to me. He would be mistaken for an annihilationist precisely because most people have the view of a self, and thus would fear that their self would come to an end. But my view does not accept that atmans exist.

And how does the Buddha respond to the accusations? By saying “all that I declare there is, is just suffering and a cessation of suffering”. In other words, there is cessation but not a self that ceases.

This is interesting to me because when I read this I don’t see it as promoting a non-existence. He is simply saying only suffering comes to an end so whatever kind of reality nibbana is has no suffering, but he’s not outright saying that nibbana is a total non existence here where there is nothing. That’s because the part of him that knows nibbana, that subtle awareness or being, is not suffering, and does not cease. However since this is a very subtle reality that transcends the aggregates and is difficult to understand and explain, he only taught it via a negative neti neti type method and never came right out and said “there is something that exists in nibbana” because then people would cling to that as a self, but whatever that reality is is nothing like anything we can imagine, so he only explained it apophatically. But he also told people it was not non-existence, and that is was an ontological middle way.

To soothe the accusations he doesn’t say “there is an everlasting consciousness” or whatever, which would have been a much clearer way to do so. But he doesn’t, because that’s not what he taught.

To be clear, I am not arguing for an eternal vijñana either. Rather, I am arguing for a subtle kind of existence which is not absolute existence nor a self. Vijñana is clearly samsaric in the EBTs and that I agree (so my view is slightly different than Thanissaro I guess? I don’t know I haven’t read that much Thanissaro really). However, I think there is room for a kind of being that is not vijñana but neither non-existence. It is an indescribable reality, and cannot be explained as any of the five aggregates.

Well, it’s also called an island, as you said. Obviously that is just an evocative term, not to be taken literally. Those terms are emotionally positive, but nibbana is ontologically always described in the negative.

Well, I think that these descriptions point to some kind of existence and show that it is not a kind of non-existence. I don’t think we can draw a clear cut line between the psychological and the ontological when it comes to early Buddhist descriptions. This division seems artificial to me. Indeed, when I read EBTs, the descriptions of reality always seem to include psychological and ontological connotations, without any clear cut separation (this seems like a more modern thing, separating psychology from metaphysics).

Furthermore, if the Buddha meant nibbana was a non existence, he would always have used negative terms and not terms which also have positive metaphysical connotations.

Anyways, I think these kinds of debates are interesting, but ultimately I am not sure if they can be fully resolved. Nibbana is a very subtle thing and I think the Buddha was intentionally vague in explaining what it was. Perhaps he would not mind that there are different views about it since different people have different understandings. Whatever the case, this debate is quite ancient and has been going on for a long time, so we’re just doing what Buddhists have been doing for two thousand years. Perhaps any attempt to discuss what nibbana is using language is going to lead to difficult conceptual choices that sound extreme to someone.

9 Likes

Thank you for the detailed reply also. Even if we disagree, it helps me also to understand how you think. And I think others reading this discussion will also benefit. I will try to be a bit more brief in my reply, though, because we both don’t want this to go on for too long. :wink: So I’ll just pick out a few points that won’t make us go too much in circles, I hope.

But first, and by far most important, I did not mean to say you are “not developed enough”! The exact opposite, actually. When I said “the Buddha didn’t teach this to people who weren’t developed enough” I meant I also wouldn’t talk to you about it if I didn’t belief you weren’t. (Not that I’m comparing myself to the Buddha, but as a monk I try to follow his advice that we should teach dhamma gradually.) Thanks for responding kindly to something that must have seemed insensitive! I think that proves my point. :wink: (Thanks also for pointing it out, because this seems to happen to me a lot on this board, that I have good intentions but I get misunderstood; so I will try to be more careful in what I type. I also apologize for focusing on the “feeling” aspect.)

That said, if continuance after nibbāna is not “the existence of a self or an absolutist kind of existence (as is taught in Brahamanical religions which posit unchanging substances or essences, selves, eternal unchanging consciousnesses, etc”, what is it then? A non-absolute unconscious kind of existence, or how am I to understand that? You say it is an indescribable reality, so I don’t suppose you can tell me. But at the same time that also doesn’t say anything at all.

I don’t think the Buddha called it an indescribable reality, though. The Buddha did say he could come up with endless different teachings for hundreds of years (or something like that, can’t remember the exact quote), because he had seen the truth. But parinibbāna, the very goal of his teachings, is just indescribable? I think it is described pretty well in the suttas, namely as “nibbāna is the cessation of existence”. To me the Buddha isn’t at all “vague in explaining what it was”. He was crystal clear.

Yes but this sutta is talking about dependent arising coming to an end, it doesn’t say that the outcome of this is a kind of non-existence or non-being.

But Dependent Arising includes the cessation of existence and consciousness. I don’t understand what you suppose is left when there is no existence and no consciousness anymore. Isn’t that exactly what non-existence is?

There are many suttas that indicate that there is still suffering for the enlightened. I’ll just give you a few:

Form, feeling, perception, choices, and consciousness are suffering. (SN22.13)

Unless enlightened beings have no more form, feeling, and so forth—which I think you’ll agree they have—there is still suffering.

And what is the noble truth of suffering? You should say: ‘The six interior sense fields’. [i.e. the six senses] What six? The sense fields of the eye, ear, nose, tongue, body, and mind. (SN56.14)

Again, unless the enlightened ones don’t have any eyes, ears, and so forth …

Also, about the Buddha himself: “At one time the Buddha was […] sick, suffering, gravely ill.” (SN46.16)

Anyway, there are many more of such quotes. But to come back to our discussion on existence, in the Theragatha Adhimutta (who was enlightened) says:

“I have lived the holy life well
and developed the path well, too.
I have no fear of death:
it’s like overcoming a disease.

I have lived the holy life well
and developed the path well, too.
I’ve seen existence to be ungratifying,
as poison one should vomit out.

If you’ve gone across and don’t take things up,
done the work and lost all defilements,
you’ll be satisfied with the ending of life,
as if you’re being saved from slaughter.

If you’ve attained the ultimate,
you don’t rely on anything in the whole world.
At death you do not sorrow;
it’s an escape from a burning house.

Anything that is created,
whatever existence one obtains:
all is without someone in charge,
so said the great seer.

Whoever understands that
as taught by the Buddha
won’t grasp any existence, like they wouldn’t grasp
a glowing hot iron ball.

I don’t think: ‘I existed’
or ‘I will exist’.
Only created things will disappear,
why grieve over that?

Chief, there is no fear
when you see as it really is
the mere arising of things,
the mere continuation of created things.

When you see through understanding
the world as grass and wood,
you don’t see any ownership.
Knowing nothing is yours, you will not grieve.

I’ve had enough of this corpse,
I don’t want another existence.
This body will break down,
and there will not be another.”

To me, Adhimutta just means that any type of existence is suffering, not just “absolute existence”, whatever that may be. And suffering also continued while he was enlightened, because the death of an enlightened being is like “an escape from a burning house”.

To be clear, I am not arguing for an eternal vijñana either

But you did say that there is an awareness that doesn’t cease. What is the difference between vijñana and awareness?

7 Likes

Thanks for clarifying, I am glad we’re on the same page regarding the friendliness of our discussion!

That said, if continuance after nibbāna is not “the existence of a self or an absolutist kind of existence (as is taught in Brahamanical religions which posit unchanging substances or essences, selves, eternal unchanging consciousnesses, etc”, what is it then? A non-absolute unconscious kind of existence, or how am I to understand that? You say it is an indescribable reality, so I don’t suppose you can tell me. But that also at the same time doesn’t say anything at all.

Yes that is true, it is something which cannot be described much, that is the nature of an apophatic view. You cannot say much about what it is, though I would describe it as an unconditioned and transcendent reality. Also, saying what it is not is also a way of describing it. So perhaps what I meant to say is not that it is absolutely indescribable, but its ontological status is very difficult and subtle to describe and very little can be said metaphysically about it. But of course, one can (and the Buddha did) describe it in metaphorical ways for example.

But Dependent Arising includes the cessation of existence and consciousness. I don’t understand what you suppose is left when there is no existence and no consciousness anymore.

Yes, it is difficult to understand. It is a very difficult and subtle kind of reality, and this is why none of the usual concepts that we have access to work very well. It is a transcendent reality, so to use our language which exists to describe this world to describe the beyond is always going to be problematic.

Form, feeling, perception, choices, and consciousness are suffering. (SN22.13)

Yes, but awakened beings have reached a state that is fully un-attached to these things, they’ve awakened to a transcendent dimension or element that is beyond this. So even though they retain these in this life, they’ve also fully let go of the aggregates and it is in this sense that they do not suffer like we do.

“At one time the Buddha was […] sick, suffering, gravely ill.” (SN46.16)

From my POV, one has balance these passages with the passages that speak of the freedom and liberation that the Buddha has attained. For example.

“Being myself liable to grow old, fall sick, die, sorrow, and become corrupted, understanding the drawbacks in these things, I sought the unaging, unailing, undying, sorrowless, uncorrupted supreme sanctuary from the yoke, nibbana—and I found it.” MN 26

So sure, his body is suffering, but the part of him that has found the supreme sanctuary is not suffering. This is that immortal (amṛta) reality which is described in the Udana as “There is, monks, an unborn, unbecome, unmade, unconditioned.”

Regarding the quote from the Theragatha, I don’t have any issue with it, since for me “existence” is the absolutist kind of existence, not all possible kinds of existence tout court.

But you did say that there is an awareness that doesn’t cease. What is the difference between vijñana and awareness?

One is samsaric grasping consciousness, a deluded kind of consciousness, while the other would be a pure awareness that does not cling, does not suffer and is totally free and unbounded, like a bird that can go anywhere.

To go back to one of my initial concerns, this positive sense of a reality that is an absolute freedom is truly an attractive spiritual goal, one which can be described as “marvelous”, “amazing” and so on. One which truly drives one to let go of everything. Meanwhile, a nibbana that is equivalent to the materialist view of death does not seem like something one could describe as “marvelous”, “shiva” (auspicious, fortunate), or “bliss”.

How can nothingness, total non-existence be marvelous, auspicious or blissful? This just does not make sense to me. On its face, it seems to me that if the Buddha really held the cessationalist view, then it would follow he was being deceptive in using these terms. Non-existence cannot be blissful, there is literally no experience at all.

6 Likes

Apologies if this is off topic, but it has been so refreshing and uplifting to see a very civilised and kind discussion between two individuals who have opposing views. Thank you @Javier and @Sunyo :smiley:

6 Likes

I’ve always appreciated Ven. Thanissaro’s use of the word “Unbinding” to describe the cessation of craving. If you are a person who understands the binding of the mind, then the ontological nature of Nibbana takes on an interesting meaning as its opposite.

To be bound by “mind”; to be gripped by your own mind - is true pain. It is the clinging of consciousness to itself … and, when that same consciousness no longer has anything to cling to (in particular the sense media), you experience cessation (like the fire going out).

I think it’s worth noting that before “mentality/materiality” (in DO anyway) we have consciousness, and that the Buddha also spoke of a “mind made body”. The mind and body are closely linked by consciousness, and the ending of the mind-made body is what constitutes “cessation”.

This is what, IMO, makes Nibbana as “extinction” different than the “annihilation” of a “self” which “never existed in the first place”. There is a Self, essentially speaking. It is the “mind-made body”. But, in an other sense, since even that “mind-made body” is a construct it’s not accurate to call it a Self. Nor is it accurate to call the deconstruction of the mind-made body the Self.

It is accurate to call the deconstruction of the mind made body the “extinction” of all concepts of the Self. More essentially, the deconstruction of the mind made body is the extinction of what the Self does (eg. ties us to Samsara).

If I had to say anything about “cessationalism” vs. “Continualism” it is to think about the “Deconstructionalism” of Unbinding. It neither comes nor goes. It is just taken apart. And what is left is unconditioned. So, I submit to those reading , the term “deconstructionalism”. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And, in this way, Thanissaro’s “Unbinding” makes deep sense. When we enter Nibbana we do so by the cessation of craving. That process eliminates consciousness. Consciousness binds the skhandas, the Self to the body, the Self to the mind made body, and the inner workings of the Self which drag us through Samsara.

Putting down the Self is like putting down the sword and walking away from the battle. And that’s my two cents € and I’ll end this with a rather long quote from a sutta which highlights the “perception” of “cessation”.

It could be, Ānanda, that a mendicant might gain a state of immersion like this. They wouldn’t perceive earth in earth, water in water, fire in fire, or air in air. And they wouldn’t perceive the dimension of infinite space in the dimension of infinite space, the dimension of infinite consciousness in the dimension of infinite consciousness, the dimension of nothingness in the dimension of nothingness, or the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception in the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception. They wouldn’t perceive this world in this world, or the other world in the other world. And they wouldn’t perceive what is seen, heard, thought, known, attained, sought, or explored by the mind. And yet they would still perceive.”

“But how could this be, sir?”

“Ānanda, it’s when a mendicant perceives: ‘This is peaceful; this is sublime—that is, the stilling of all activities, the letting go of all attachments, the ending of craving, fading away, cessation, extinguishment.’

AN11.7

Yes, well don’t get TOO friendly, now! :laughing:

Just kidding. Thanks again, I feel we’re getting to the heart of the matter.

I initially didn’t want to post the following reply, because I had some difficulty separating the philosophical side of your ideas from the emotional side, since I feel they are intrinsically connected. I decided to go with it, anyway, but please pardon me if anything seems too directly aimed at you rather than your views. Blame it on my limited perspective, if you want. :melting_face:

But to go back a bit first, because I glossed over this in favor of other interesting observations:

That sounds good as a philosophical theory, but in actual practice I don’t think continuists ever get accused of teaching annihilation. If you shared your views with the masses the way you did here, I’m quite sure no single person is going to call you an annihilationist. But the Buddha was so called (as am I), and that reveals there is a difference between your teachings and his.

Because the sense of self is just one part of the annihilist view. There’s another crucial part to it, and that is the outcome of annihilation. Teachings only get mistaken for annihilation if there is nothing left at the end—because that’s simply what annihilationism entails. Just have a look at which Buddhist views get called annihilationism. :slight_smile: It’s never continuitism; its cessationism. I mean, you did the exact same thing at the start: “I find it quite difficult to see how the ‘total extinguishment view’ - what I call the classic Theravada view that all forms of consciousness or awareness disappear at nibbana - is different than the annihilationism of a materialist.” When something remains, people just won’t mistake it for annihilationism, and neither would you, I believe. It’d be called eternalism.

And therefore I feel in good company with the Buddha. :slight_smile:

In a similar vein, you don’t espouse an atman in words, perhaps. But this “subtle being” you propose seems to be the same thing by a different name. It functions as a self. Or can you teach me how it differs? Because to me, it sounds little different from some Brahmanic views. “No atman” again sounds good as a philosophical theory, but is that really what your view is in practice?

The no-self philosophy of the Buddha is much more coherent with cessationalism, where we don’t have to deal with issues of what kind of awareness is considered a self and what awareness is not. There simply is nothing eternal, nothing worthy of calling a self, including “subtle beings” or “a pure unbounded awareness”.

“Being myself liable to grow old, fall sick, die, sorrow, and become corrupted, understanding the drawbacks in these things, I sought the unaging, unailing, undying, sorrowless, uncorrupted supreme sanctuary from the yoke, nibbana—and I found it.”

I take this “nibbāna” to be a reference to parinibbāna, not to enlightenment. Because after enlightenment there still is aging, sickness, and death. I’m happy you don’t deny that, as some do! But these things still apply to the Buddha. That is exactly what the quote I provided said: that the Buddha got sick and suffered. All these sufferings of aging and death, but also the aggregates, only end after the enlightened one’s last death. The cessation of existence after death: that is the sanctuary from the yoke (of aging and so forth) the Buddha found. :slight_smile:

The cessation, subsiding, and passing away of form … of consciousness is the cessation of suffering, the subsiding of disease, the passing away of aging-and-death. (SN22.30)

In general—not referring to you specifically—a lot of confusion comes from not realizing there is an important difference between these “two elements of nibbāna”.

(By the way, I don’t want to ruin this nice discussion with grammar, but the Udāna term ajata means not “unborn”, but as A.K. Norman explains “the end of what is born”. The prefix a- indicates an absence, not a presence of things. Just like anatta is “not self”, not “the unself”.)

At least that makes more sense than “indescribable reality”, so thank you for that. But, don’t get me wrong, now you’re describing something supposedly indescribable, and you’re explaining it in much more descriptive and clear terms than the Buddha himself did (or is supposed to have done). He didn’t talk about a “samsaric consciousness” versus some other sort of awareness, for example. I think this illustrates what I pointed out before, that continuitists generally have little trouble explaining their views, while the Buddha wasn’t so verbose on these things. So either the Buddha is a worse teacher than them… or perhaps he didn’t actually teach this… :slight_smile:

Either way, in short, I would reply this awareness you mentioned doesn’t exist, and you’re looking for it inside the aggregate of consciousness/awareness. This aggregate is defined as “any kind of consciousness whatsoever, whether subtle or coarse, sublime or lowly”, so it includes sublime, subtle awareness as well.

I hope we can finish with your initial concern, because that is what I believe our differences really boil down to. Sorry, but I think this gets us back in the emotional domain, and I’m going to make some assumptions about how you might think.

To you perhaps. :smiley: To me it sounds like the worst condemnation imaginable. To exist forever, my gosh! I literally can’t think of anything less attractive than that! I’m being serious.

I also don’t think that if nibbāna was obviously a “truly attractive goal” the Buddha would have said such things like “the view of those who see runs counter to most of the world”, that “the noble ones see as suffering what most people think is pleasant [e.g. pure blissful awareness]”. I think “most people” will find your ideas pretty attractive, actually, which is shown by the pervasiveness of such ideas throughout various religions, including Buddhism. Because despite you saying this awareness is not a brahmanic consciousness, it sounds pretty much exactly like it, as I said, and I’ve heard even Christians describing “being with god” in similar terms.

I like the term “Creeping Brahmanism” @keller used. It’s a pervasive view, and it’s not particularly challenging either. I am quite sure the Buddha would have heard about it from somebody else, like the brahmins, instead of discovering it on his own. Because it is exactly these kind of ideas that he was challenging when saying consciousness is impermanent.

You may say that your idea is not like the brahmins because it’s not a self, but to me the “difference” seems to be just a theoretical notion, as I said. If you really believed there was no self in that awareness, you wouldn’t mind if it ceased. You wouldn’t treat it differently from everything else, like the body, perceptions, ideas, and so forth. That’s the point of anatta: it doesn’t affect you when self-less things come to an end. As the Buddha said, it’s like leaves that people sweep away. “That is not ours, so why would we be disturbed by it?” Awareness is just another leaf to me. But to you it’s not, it seems.

I’d say nibbāna is truly an attractive spiritual goal, but it requires right view, which turns one’s perspective of life upside down. It is attractive to those who can let go of their attachment to awareness, who can see its impermanence and affliction.

I can see why you say this, but you’re mixing up ontology (i.e. “what it is”, for those unaware of the term) with the emotional side. Because it isn’t equivalent to the materialist view of death, for one thing because materialists don’t believe “this saṁsara is without discoverable beginning”. If you go to jail and are released the same day, it feels very different from escaping after a 50-year sentence. One day in jail is even a fun experience for some, you can even rent a cell for a day, I heard. But 50 years isn’t fun, it’s agony. If you realize you’ve been stuck for that long, you just want to get out. To escape is marvelous.

Well, some people still don’t want to leave after 50 years—what was that movie again, Shankman’s Redemption or something? Believing in rebirth but still wanting to keep in existence is like that, still not wanting to leave the jail of suffering.

I referenced AN9.34 before, but let me quote it here then, because this concern is literally addressed there:

“Reverends, extinguishment is bliss! Extinguishment is bliss!”

When he said this, Venerable Udāyī said to him, “But Reverend Sāriputta, what’s blissful about it, since nothing is felt [or ‘experienced’]?”

“The fact that nothing is felt is precisely what’s blissful about it.

Udāyī understood what nibbāna was, so why would he ask this question if it were a type of blissful awareness you describe? Then he could simply have said, “yes, indeed, it’s blissful!” But he asks the question exactly because the word ‘bliss’ is a somewhat strange way to talk about nibbāna, as I think you rightly point out. It used to confuse me too. But Sāriputta explains: ‘bliss’ means the absence of experience, i.e. of awareness. So we’re down the same path again. :slight_smile: Nibbāna is, as I said, emotionally positive but ontologically negative, and I think it could hardly be stated any clearer than in this sutta.

And the way to embrace this from an emotional point of view is, as the sutta continues to explain, to actually attain a state of immensely peaceful awareness, like the formless state of unbounded consciousness, and then see that it is also “an affliction” compared to the cessation of awareness.

The view of continuitism goes some of the same distance, following the Buddha’s ideas, but then gets stuck at certain states of consciousness, failing to see their impermanence. Perhaps it is no coincidence some describe “nibbāna” exactly as such an “unbounded” awareness—as you did as well—but the Buddha used “unbounded” with reference to an impermanent state of consciousness (the second formless state).

Bottom line, the Buddha said “nothing is worth holding on to”, and that includes awareness. To some that is challenging, but shouldn’t spirituality be challenging? The whole reason we got stuck in samsara is that we didn’t dare to look at the truth.

Sorry for any offence, as I said I can’t separate your philosophical ideas from the emotional side. :slight_smile: But who knows, I might be getting at something.

7 Likes

The view that there really exists something and it continues to exist is eternalism. The view that something really exists and is then destroyed is annihilationism. We can say something arises and ceases, but we can’t say that is exists forever or is truly destroyed. To do either would be to fall into the two extremes. So, to say that nibbana is total cessation of everything (truly) is just as extreme as saying that nibbana is an eternal existence.

It’s essentialism, substance metaphysics, that the eternalist and annihilationist dance around. That there really is something real. That applies to the aggregates too as much as the self. Once you see that the Buddha was attacking essentialism, attacking substance, attacking the notion of real things apart from words then everything else becomes more clear IMO.

4 Likes

So, @Ceisiwr? in the Buddhist tradition, a “weekend” in Hell will only last a few thousands eons (since nothing truly exists forever). Should that be of any concern to Buddhists? The “ontological” status of Hell, I mean … whether it lasts forever or just a few thousand eons? Whether it has substance and truly “exists? Or not?

Yes, well don’t get TOO friendly, now!

Are you kidding? Debating the middle way is one of the oldest pastimes among Buddhist pals! This is basically like spending an afternoon at the bowling alley for us! :laughing:

But seriously, I want to thank you for being part of this spirited discussion on such a difficult topic. I know that these kinds of discussions can really be difficult because they ultimately concern our deepest beliefs and intuitions about what we are doing on the spiritual path. And because of that, these discussions aren’t just about dry theory but in fact are about us too and how we understand our very lives and what we are doing on the path. So, it is very easy to take these kinds of discussions personally, and I am glad that neither of us seem to be doing that.

I do want to make a key meta distinction here though. I want to distinguish my axiological (i.e., the study of value, the philosophy of what is valuable) concerns with “emotional” as you’re using it here. I wouldn’t agree that my arguments as I’ve laid them out here are “emotional”. What my views are is concerned with value, as much as they are concerned with metaphysics. But all ancient Indian views are also equally concerned with value as with metaphysics.

To depict my view as “emotional” and your view as not emotional in turn is not correct, for this makes it sound like my view is irrational and only based on my personal feelings. But it is not, it’s just concerned with value. I would say that your view is just as concerned with value as mine (though it understands value differently and more negatively) so I would say that both of our views have concerns of value built in.

I am sure you did not mean to paint my view as “emotional” and your view as the unemotional alternative that is purely rational, which would be a straw man. I think you were just using “emotional” to describe concerns about what is valuable. Of course, any discussion among human beings also has emotional concerns built in, but since both of us are human, I think we have similar types of emotions regarding this discussion (hopefully some of them are positive! :grinning:).

Anyways, let me address some of your points which I feel need to be discussed further (I apologize to those who are groaning under the weight of this discussion, but I feel it is important).

That sounds good as a philosophical theory, but in actual practice I don’t think continuists ever get accused of teaching annihilation. If you shared your views with the masses the way you did here, I’m quite sure no single person is going to call you an annihilationist…

Well, I think this is something that depends on one’s audience. In the Buddha’s time, where everyone held the view of atman, it would indeed be seen as annihilating the atman.

Just have a look at which Buddhist views get called annihilationism. :slight_smile: It’s never continuitism; its cessationism…

If we look at SN 44.10, the view which is being mistaken for annihilationism is the view of not-self, this shows that the issue is closely tied with anatta. This means that it is the anatta teaching that leads people in the Buddha’s time to fear his teaching is annihilation. Furthermore, since he taught that the five skandhas all come to an end, and was generally apophatic in his method of describing nibbana, one can see why people would mistake his view for annihilation.

Also, while it would be very easy to see that all eternalist views are not annihilationism, a view which is the middle way between annihilationism and eternalism and which is mostly apophatic about nibbana and rejects atmans, could be mistaken for annihilationism. That is to say, I don’t think that only cessationalism is a candidate for a view that could be mistaken for annihilation. After all, in my view all five skandhas still cease (what remains is something that is none of the five aggregates) and rebirth is fully finished. There’s no person left over. Thus, the nibbanic reality of my ‘positivism’ is very subtle and in most cases is described apophatically by the Buddha. It would thus be easy for eternalists in ancient India to mistake this apophasis as teaching annihilationism. This becomes even more clear when you consider that the Buddha refused to say whether a Buddha or an arhat exists after death, while many ancient Indian religions like Jainism held that a liberated person did indeed exist after death living eternally in some higher dimensional realm.

In a similar vein, you don’t espouse an atman in words, perhaps. But this “subtle being” you propose seems to be the same thing by a different name. It functions as a self. Or can you teach me how it differs? Because to me, it sounds little different from some Brahmanic views.

There are several ways in which my view differs from the view of, say, Yajñavalkya (to choose one Brahmin, since the Upanishads actually promote many different views):
• My nibbanic reality not a static, or fixed substance nor an essence, it’s dynamic, like a stream, not like a piece of gold (a common Hindu metaphor).
• It’s not something that you already have like a mustard seed within you which undergoes rebirth, it’s something you attain as you let go of everything.
• In the Upanishads the personal self is also the same as the entire universe, which is a single mass of consciousness, that’s not what my view asserts.

The no-self philosophy of the Buddha is much more coherent with cessationalism, where we don’t have to deal with issues of what kind of awareness is considered a self and what awareness is not. There simply is nothing eternal, nothing worthy of calling a self, including “subtle beings” or “a pure unbounded awareness”.

I would argue it is coherent with my view. My nibbanic reality is just not a self, it is not an unchanging substance at the core of a person that undergoes rebirth and is eventually liberated and merges with the universal consciousness (or remains as a personal singular blissful personality in some heaven realm like the Jaina jinas). Just because it is a positive reality does not mean it’s an atman.

I take this “nibbāna” to be a reference to parinibbāna, not to enlightenment. Because after enlightenment there still is aging, sickness, and death.

But the text says he found it, not that “I will find it when I die”.

But, don’t get me wrong, now you’re describing something supposedly indescribable, and you’re explaining it in much more descriptive and clear terms than the Buddha himself did (or is supposed to have done). He didn’t talk about a “samsaric consciousness” versus some other sort of awareness, for example. I think this illustrates what I pointed out before, that continuitists generally have little trouble explaining their views, while the Buddha wasn’t so verbose on these things. So either the Buddha is a worse teacher than them… or perhaps he didn’t actually teach this… :slight_smile:

Well, that’s the nature of exegesis, one is drawing out and developing what is unclear or undeveloped in a text. By the way, the Buddha didn’t come right out and say that nibbana is non-existence either. So, your view also has some 'splaining to do.

Either way, in short, I would reply this awareness you mentioned doesn’t exist, and you’re looking for it inside the aggregate of consciousness/awareness. This aggregate is defined as “any kind of consciousness whatsoever, whether subtle or coarse, sublime or lowly”, so it includes sublime, subtle awareness as well.

Within my framework, this awareness similar (but not the same as) the “viññāṇa anidassana” of the Kevaddha sutta, which in turn is not the same thing as sense viññāṇa (the viññāṇa of the five aggregates). This is because this limitless awareness is a viññāṇa where “name and form fully come to cease” (Kevaddha sutta). So at nibbana, the aggregate of viññāṇa ceases, but not nibbanic awareness, which unlike the aggregate of viññāṇa, is not bound to name and form, nor bound to dependent arising. Thus, my view is perfectly reasonable in positing two forms of consciousness. It seems obvious to me this is a radically different kind of consciousness than the day-to-day conscious experience of the consciousness aggregate. Is your daily sense consciousness infinite or limitless? I don’t think so…
Similarly, AN 10.81 states that the Buddha dwells with a limitless mind that is unattached from ten things, one of those ten things is consciousness. So, it seems we can have a limitless mind unattached from consciousness. This seems to support a reading where there are different ontological forms of mind/consciousness.

I think this empty awakened awareness is what thai forest masters have experienced, and what Mahayana figures have experienced and described. And perhaps other people in other religions too! Why should only Buddhists have access to it? Indeed, if it’s a universal truth we would expect that people in other religions might stumble into it too or might get close to it. Indeed, I think this counts in favor of my view, not against it. If we grant that some mystics in other religions can be our epistemic and spiritual peers, then perhaps their experiences are also relevant here. This is actually a welcome side benefit to my view, it is more friendly to the religious experiences of other religions!

As I’ve said above, there are also other reasons too why I think nibbana is a positive reality. Bhikkhu Bodhi does a more thorough job of explaining this perspective in this old classic lecture on nibbana: https://youtu.be/IBNMqqmZI6E

I am not going to rehash all he says in this here. But he notes how the Buddha used terms with ontological connotations, such as ayatana (which describes sometimes a plane of existence and also a sense sphere) and dhatu (a word used to describe existing things as well). He even described how one can “touch the deathless element with one’s body” (AN 6.46). If nibbana meant non-existence, I don’t see how these terms which have positive ontological connotations would be acceptable to the Buddha.

To you perhaps. :smiley: To me it sounds like the worst condemnation imaginable. To exist forever, my gosh! I literally can’t think of anything less attractive than that! I’m being serious.
I also don’t think that if nibbāna was obviously a “truly attractive goal” the Buddha would have said such things like “the view of those who see runs counter to most of the world”, that “the noble ones see as suffering what most people think is pleasant [e.g. pure blissful awareness]”. I think “most people” will find your ideas pretty attractive, actually, which is shown by the pervasiveness of such ideas throughout various religions, including Buddhism. Because despite you saying this awareness is not a brahmanic consciousness, it sounds pretty much exactly like it, as I said, and I’ve heard even Christians describing “being with god” in similar terms.

This is fascinating! Because you say that you don’t find my view attractive (“the worst condemnation”), but then say that most people would find my view attractive. I guess you consider yourself to be not unlike most people, and maybe it is true. However, and I hope you don’t take this the wrong way either, perhaps you are not as different from many human beings as you think. Because [trigger warning suicide discussion ahead] many people, including many atheists and materialists, find total annihilation a very blissful thing. And its not just annihilationist atheists either. In fact, one of the most common features of people who commit suicide is the desire to annihilate themselves, to bring all their pain to an end, to bring all their experience to an end. Let’s reflect on this because I think it’s a serious problem with cessationalism. It’s basically the spiritual form of suicide. The logic is the same as that used by people who experience suicide (any experience is horrible so it’s best to bring a total end to all experience).

I’ve heard suicidal people describe nonexistence as blissful and how they yearn for it. The person said it with a sense of relief that parallels the way cessationalism describes what happens at paranibbana. I hope you don’t take this the wrong way, but to me, cessationalism is quite similar to these wrong views. Another thing to note is that if annihilation wasn’t an attractive view, the materialist worldview wouldn’t have spread around the world so rapidly as it did in the 20th century. Thus, the way I see it, annihilationism is just as much of a worldly view as the desire to live forever. In this sense then, the Buddha’s view goes against the way of the world precisely because it is the middle way, not because it promotes non-existence – for there are many people in this world who would really like to cease to exist – even if just for a short while (and hence, you get alcoholics who enjoy getting black out drunk because it’s a kind of short term annihilation, which they mistakenly see as kind of a break from their suffering. One could find more worldly examples of this kind of annihilationist pattern.).

So, for me, cessationalism is really a kind of nihilism, in a very pure sense. In that way it is very similar to the pessimistic nihilism of the philosopher Philipp Mainländer who argued that non-being is superior to being, and thus the nothingness of death is the highest thing one can attain. He ended up hanging himself. The only thing that metaphysically separates your view from his is that you believe in rebirth so your view does not logically lead to actual suicide. However, this remains a serious danger to cessationalism. Should someone of your persuasion lose their belief in rebirth, then suicide is the logical conclusion (not that they would commit suicide right away of course). This is another thought experiment which shows your view is quite similar to the idea that the Buddha holds the view of an “exterminator” (venayiko).

That the logical conclusion of cessationalism minus rebirth is suicide is not only a theoretical concern. As there are many Buddhists whose belief in rebirth could change or will change in the future and thus for them this might even be a life-or-death issue that leaves them with nothing other than a nihilistic perspective on what is valuable…

I know you don’t mind this at this point since you think being mistaken for a nihilist counts in your favor. But perhaps you need to step back for a moment and ponder whether your view is not just being mistaken for nihilism, but is actually nihilism! After all the Buddha did reject nihilist views, so if it turns out you’re wrong here, then it’s the classic case of ‘going too far’.

Indeed, it seems some early Buddhists did eventually fall into a kind of nihilism, like the monks who committed suicide after practicing death contemplation. Thus, while you feel comforted that the Buddha was accused of nihilism and think this is a chip in favor of your cessationalist view, I do not think this is necessarily the case, since the very issue under debate is precisely whether this view is the middle way. Arguably one can accuse the monks who committed suicide as annihilationists, but the very fact of their being accused of annihilationism wouldn’t somehow be evidence that their understanding of the dhamma was correct! Instead, one would have to give independent reasons for why their view was not the middle way. As such I don’t think that this line of argument of “I am in good company with the Buddha because I’m being accused of annihilationism” is very fruitful for your view.

Let’s think about this with another thought experiment. In your view, if we had a button that we could press that would delete the entire universe along with all beings in it, you would be logically entailed by cessationalism to press it. Indeed, this button would actually be equivalent to giving everyone nirvana in your view. But this seems the most purely nihilistic thing imaginable, does it not? It’s precisely total extermination.

This is where we get to the heart of the matter for me. Your view is axiologically problematic because it takes non-existence as the only ultimate value. But this is a very strange move. For me things have value relative to experiences of conscious beings, ultimately, it is their conscious minds that grant value to things. Without any kind of being or awareness whatsoever, there is no value. So, the way I see it, nonexistence cannot have any value. It is not the case that this is the same as the removal of pain, because the absence of pain is experienced by a mind and has value because of this. But nonexistence is just not experienced at all, so it does not have any value and cannot be the highest spiritual goal. It cannot be marvelous, it cannot be blissful, etc. It’s just a blank nothingness.

To put it briefly: In my view some things have inherent value, such as spiritual love, and experiences of pure consciousness. In your view nonexistence is always the highest value. This is just a Buddhist version of Mainlander’s nihilism to me and cannot be the Buddha’s view, since he was not an “exterminator” (nor a terminator! :robot:).

I like the term “Creeping Brahmanism” @keller used. It’s a pervasive view, and it’s not particularly challenging either. I am quite sure the Buddha would have heard about it from somebody else, like the brahmins, instead of discovering it on his own. Because it is exactly these kind of ideas that he was challenging when saying consciousness is impermanent.

Well, I would say that this is not creeping Brahmanism, the similarities you’re seeing in my interpretation are a feature not a bug. We know the Buddha was influenced by Brahminical thought, he studied with them and had much contact with these ideas, and thus it would be quite weird if we found no similarities between his thought and brahmanical philosophy. The same would be the case if we found no similarities with Jainism, for example. However, one would be mistaken (as Stephen Bachelor is, for example) in saying that just because a view is similar or [even the same!] as Vedic religion, that this proves it is not something taught in early Buddhism. It’s interesting, Batchelor’s argument against rebirth-karma has a similar parallel to yours here. Just because my view is in some ways similar to some brahmanical view does not mean it’s obviously false for that reason alone. In fact, looking at this from the point of view of history of religions, we should expect Buddha’s view to share similarities with other religions of his time (I am not, of course, saying it is the same, I am just accepting there is some similarity). So, the fact that my view sounds similar to brahmanical views works in favor of my view, not against it. This is indeed what we would expect of someone who studied under Vedic teachers, but then went off and created his own tradition. We would expect that his system is similar but also different.

Actually, let’s look at this issue a bit more closely because it is yet another problem with cessationalism. What I meant is, cessationalism is an extremely rare view in the history of religions, I dare say it is a unique view. And the problem with this is that it has serious issues with the problem of religious disagreement. This is the issue of how we can accept any specific philosophical or religious ideas while also accounting for the fact that other people who are likely to be our epistemic peers (or spiritual peers, or both) have different views. Now, the philosophical literature on this is large and I cannot give an in-depth overview of it here (and I’m an amateur at this anyways :p). Suffice it to say however, it at least seems to me that if we assume the charitable view that other religious philosophers, mystics and religious practitioners are epistemic peers of cessationalists (arguing against this would be difficult, since we are just speaking of human beings here, so you’d have to show that cessationalists were somehow radically different human beings), then the fact that almost no other religion or spiritual philosophy has something like cessationalism seems to count as a piece of evidence against cessationalism. Of course, this is just one more evidential chip against cessationalism, not a knock down argument, but it should give one pause. It seems that the vast majority of our epistemic peers (that is, most of the very intelligent and deeply spiritual people who have lived) do not hold cessationalism. This includes most Buddhists by the way, including classical Theravadins and Sarvastivadins (who argue nibbana is a real existent, dravyasat) and all Mahayanists (who have some positive view of nibbana and Buddhahood). These are epistemic peers who were familiar with the specific teachings of the Buddha, so one cannot say they lack information about this issue either.

Note that this is not an argumentum ad populum, since it relies strictly on those who could be considered to be our peers (highly spiritual and intelligent philosophers and mystics) and a certain epistemic humility (where we suppose that other great spiritual practitioners and thinkers throughout history have been as intelligent and spiritually advanced as us). Also, this argument only provides limited and probabilistic evidence against cessationalism, rather than claiming an absolute refutation. That is to say, it is merely one consideration for thinking that cessationalism is less likely to be true, but it is not a knockdown argument (this is also why my argument against cessationalism is cumulative, I don’t think there is a single knock down argument against these types of metaphysical claims).

Whatever the case, the upside of this consideration for my view is that the fact that positivism is somewhat similar (not the same !) to other views found in other religions is a strength for my view. On the flip side the fact that cessationalism is so radically different from them is one piece of evidence against it. Another way of saying this is that the number of epistemic peers which support a kind of soteriological positivist view (that the final spiritual goal is a positive one, not non-existence) provides a clear probabilistic skeptical consideration against cessationalism.

If you really believed there was no self in that awareness, you wouldn’t mind if it ceased. You wouldn’t treat it differently from everything else

Well, I don’t think that this is true. I think that some things have value independently of whether or not they are a self. That’s a strange thing to argue. Do you really think that the only way something can have value is if it’s a self or is non-existent? That the only two reasons one can wish for the continuity of something is if it was an atman or if it was non-existence? That sounds strange to me, I don’t think value is such a narrow and limited scope that it can only be had by atmans or by non-existence. This is yet another way in which your view is very strange axiologically.

I can see why you say this, but you’re mixing up ontology (i.e. “what it is”, for those unaware of the term) with the emotional side.

I would say that in this case, the two are linked. You’re promoting a specific ontology of nibbana as the highest spiritually valuable thing, the highest spiritual goal that people should follow. I am saying this ontology cannot be applied to a supreme spiritual goal, precisely because it is mistaken about value. You cannot totally separate ontology and axiology here.

Because it isn’t equivalent to the materialist view of death, for one thing because materialists don’t believe “this saṁsara is without discoverable beginning”.

But that’s not the point, the point is that the ontological status is the same: non-existence. Freedom from jail is only valuable because I’m still alive. Your metaphor thus is not applicable. Your view is more like committing suicide to escape jail…which many people do.

I referenced AN9.34 before, but let me quote it here then…“The fact that nothing is felt is precisely what’s blissful about it."

The way I see this passage is that there is no vedana in nibbana. But this does not mean there is nothing, that its non-existence. If it was non-existence, it couldn’t have any qualities, including “blissfulness” or sukha. You could not even describe it with any emotionally positive way, the Buddha would have had to only use neutral terms - but he didn’t. So, I feel I am in good company with the Buddha since I don’t think nibbana can only be described neutrally or negatively :wink: And remember, ontology, axiology, and psychology are all closely linked in this topic, as I argued above! So in my view, the whole “emotionally positive, ontologically negative” claim does not hold water.

Bottom line, the Buddha said, “nothing is worth holding on to”, and that includes awareness. To some that is challenging, but shouldn’t spirituality be challenging? The whole reason we got stuck in samsara is that we didn’t dare to look at the truth.

Well, I don’t think that the nibbanic awareness that I accept is “holding on to awareness”. It’s precisely an awareness that has completely let go of all things, even sense consciousness, and even itself. It clings to nothing, like the mind in AN 10.81 which is not attached to consciousness. So, it is false to describe my view as “holding on to” awareness. To put it another way, just because my nibbanic positivism does not accept the equation of nibbana with non-existence does not mean it is ‘holding on’ to something. After all, the Buddha’s mind was not clinging to anything and yet it was not non-existent.

This nibbanic awareness is something like the appatiṭṭha viññāṇa (unestablished consciousness or consciousness without barriers) of SN 22.87 that Mara could not find. It’s like the consciousness that is “unestablished, not coming to growth, nongenerative, liberated. By being liberated, it is steady; by being steady, it is content…” (SN 22.53). It is similar to the anissita viññāṇa that the devas cannot find in MN 22: “When a mendicant’s mind was freed like this, the gods together with Indra, Brahmā, and the Progenitor, search as they may, will not discover: ‘This is what the Realized One’s consciousness depends on.’ Why is that? Because even in the present life the Realized One is not found, I say.” Thus, here we have a kind of consciousness that does not depend on anything.

Furthermore, this nibbanic awareness is similar to the unsupported consciousness that does not land on anything in SN 12.64: “where there is no delight, no craving, then consciousness does not land there or grow. Where consciousness does not land or grow, name-&-form does not alight. Where name-&-form does not alight, there is no growth of (karmic) volitions. Where there is no growth of (karmic) volitions, there is no production of renewed becoming in the future.”. Of course, this nibbanic reality that is liberated from the five aggregates is something which is subtle, and “deep, immeasurable, hard to fathom like the great ocean.” [SN 44.1]. But that does not mean it is non-existent, for how can something which can be fathomed (albeit with difficulty) be non-existent? Similarly, nibbana is described as something that can be directly known (e.g. MN1), but can one “directly know” non-existence?

I also want to say that even though I use terms like consciousness and awareness, this nibbanic experience is radically different than what we call “consciousness” in everyday speech, since it is contentless, unestablished, limitless, not suffering, and so on. Thus, even though it is a kind of subtle experience, it is only in a metaphorical or very loose sense that I say it’s a “consciousness.” This is just like how the Buddha calls nibbana an “island”, but it’s not literally an island. Since this ultimate state is ultimately beyond all concepts or descriptions, my descriptions apply to it only in a relative sense. It’s just a finger pointing to the moon. :point_right: :last_quarter_moon_with_face:

Regarding whether spirituality should be challenging to us. I agree! Yes, it should be challenging! And it seems you find my view a bit challenging or scary as well so maybe both our views are challenging after all, though in different ways.

6 Likes

To say there is a real thing which changes is substance theory. For the Jains, the atta was a real substance that changes. For the Brahmins the atta was a real substance which doesn’t change. When you say then that nibbana is a real thing which “flows”, you are siding with Jainism in the debate. You are claiming that its an atta, you just aren’t using that specific word.

1 Like

Just to comment here that this is going beyond explicit statements about the limits of conventional language by the Buddha. I posted earlier from Snp 5.7:

If you say ‘the thing left over’ you have contradicted this passage IMO. Here’s another more explicit passage as well:

An 4.173
“Reverend, when the six fields of contact have faded away and ceased with nothing left over, does something else exist?”

“Don’t put it like that, reverend.”

“Does nothing else exist?”

“Do both something else and nothing else exist?”

“Do neither something else nor nothing else exist?”

So the parinibbana of an arahant does not allow saying there is something left beyond the khandas.

IMO, this passage also contradicts the position posited by Ven @Sunyo since in that position there should be no problem saying ‘nothing else exists after.’

Personally to me it looks like a debate between two explicitly rejected views like @josephzizys mentioned earlier.

The parinibbana of an arahant is like a black hole. Beyond the event horizon there is literally nothing whatsoever that can be stated. Silence is the only option.

8 Likes

Hullow again dear @Javier,

First, and most important, I feel like I made a friend here. I feel like I know a lot about what really matters to you, and I can’t say that of some of my “real life” friends. So that is cool. :slight_smile:

As I said, I was in doubt whether to post my last reply, because it felt I was addressing the wrong thing. I couldn’t really find the right words. Now, emotions and values aren’t unrelated, but, yes, value is better than emotion. I think that’s what I meant, anyway, but you seem to have a more well-defined idea of what a value is than I do. I’m happy you saw what I was really getting at despite the word ‘emotion’. I get the feeling you studied like philosophy or something, but just so you know, I did the exact opposite (engineering, lol), and my English vocabulary also isn’t the greatest. :wink: Thanks for explaining some of the terms, I like learning.

Yes, it’s been nice this discussion. I’m getting something out of it, looking at myself and seeing how you think, and learning how to address it in a courteous way (I try). I live in a monastery where we all have the same idea about nibbāna, and while that is great (no arguments!), the interaction you get with other views is usually through books, so the personal dimension isn’t there. In a way I’m exploiting you, by the way. I’ll be giving a workshop on nibbāna soon, and I’ll keep some of the things you said in mind when we address what we call “myths” about it. This gives some of them a personal touch for me, which is helpful. Because people in the audience will also have such views and I don’t want to be too insensitive, you know. :wink:

I was hoping we were winding things down, but your reply is quite long. :smiley: It’s very interesting though, I read it with a big smile. I’ll try to address most of it, but my writing style will suffer, because I do want to do finish it within a certain timeframe. I’ll be responding on the fly, basically. I hope you understand. :slight_smile: Even though your reply deserves better.

Anyway,

Of course I’ve also created values and emotions about this! In a sense that is exactly what I’m trying to get across, that cessationism can also be seen as something beautiful, something inspiring and emotionally uplifting. Because that is what you didn’t seem to see, and you were basing your reasoning on that. To simplify, I felt you sort of argued along the lines of, “There can’t be value in cessationism, therefore it can’t be what the Buddha taught.” But when I read the Buddha speaking of “the shelter”, I’m like WOW that is really a cool shelter! So there can be value in it, at least from a certain individual’s perspective.

(I’ll get back to values later, though, and I’ll say something which may seem like the opposite. Because this is just one way of looking at it. Hint: I don’t think things have inherent value.)

That is to say, I don’t think that only cessationalism is a candidate for a view that could be mistaken for annihilation.

I still find it unlikely that continuitism would be so mistaken, unless it was very poorly taught. But could we agree it at least more likely that cessationism would?

it’s dynamic […] It’s not something that you already have […] it’s something you attain […]

I see differences with the brahmin atman here, so that’s illuminating. But am I right, it’s changing and something that comes to be? That doesn’t align well with how the Buddha described the goal, as something stable and not created and so forth. Also, I never heard of this view before, so pardon my ignorance. I did assume until now that it was somewhat like the permanent mind ideas.

But the text says he found it, not that “I will find it when I die”.

He found it, but he hadn’t reached it yet. We can find a destination before we reach it, of course. When he said he found it, it means he understood it, and he knew it was going to happen.

By the way, the Buddha didn’t come right out and say that nibbana is non-existence either. So, your view also has some 'splaining to do.

Let me do that, then. We have “nibbāna is the cessation of existence” (technically not spoken by the Buddha but by others). It isn’t called “non-existence” per se because nibbāna refers primarily to the event of cessation rather than the resultant state. Because the extinguishment of a flame is an event too. Nibbāna is just a metaphorical synonym for cessation. Most people nowadays only call the result of this event nibbāna, but in the suttas that’s not the primary meaning.

Regardless, event or result, if we say “nibbāna is the cessation of existence”, the effective idea is the same. Which is that existence comes to an end. And I of course read this as all existence. So to me this is a pretty clear statement on what the goal is, what nibbāna is.

And nibbana is also just one word for the goal, a metaphorical one at that. Just simply “the cessation of existence” by itself (without “nibbana is”) already describes the goal, and this is repeated allover, especially in SN12. Likewise with the cessation of the five aggregates, of the six senses, nāmarūpa and consciousness, the six elements, the sensual, form, and formless, and so forth. Because I don’t posit anything beyond any of these groups, all talks on their cessation boil down to the same thing: the cessation of existence.

And because there is nothing beyond them, just saying “these things cease” is enough to explain nibbāna completely. The Buddha didn’t need to say anything more, because there isn’t anything more! That’s why the Buddha is always extremely clear to me. His fundamental ideas are all over the place.

But for your view, every time you read such statements on cessation, there is a “disclaimer” attached which says, “there’s still this pure awareness outside of the aggregates, six senses, and so forth”. The Buddha doesn’t tend to mention this though, certainly not very explicitly!

What’s more, every time the Buddha mentions the aggregates to be suffering, for example, I don’t have to think “but he leaves unmentioned this thing which is not suffering”. To me, suttas like the Dhammacakkappavattana, Aditta, and Anattalakkhana are all complete. Because they mention the aggregates/senses to be suffering. That says all I need to know about existence and the end of suffering. I don’t have to rely on a few references here and there. Do you see where I’m coming from?

And that’s the way the Buddha’s teachings should be, because nowadays we have the whole canon digitally and many other resources. But in the time of the Buddha you’d be lucky to hear a few discourses. So he had to make sure he conveyed the whole message as often as possible, not leaving out the essentials (like a pure being) only for occasional mentions. Of course, people also got right view after hearing teachings where no special awareness is spoken of.

Again, I think the Buddha was a very lousy teacher if he actually taught continuitism. I could have done a better job myself, let alone you.

Is your daily sense consciousness infinite or limitless?

No, but infinite or limitless consciousness is one of the formless states. And it is an aspect of the mind, hence it falls under mano-viññāṇa.

with a limitless mind […] So, it seems we can have a limitless mind unattached from consciousness. This seems to support a reading where there are different ontological forms of mind/consciousness.

Meaning “mind set free”, according to the PTS dictionary. It’s just another way to state that the mind is no longer attached to things. It doesn’t mean that it is something apart from them. (If I remember that’s also how the commentary explains it, but it’s been a while.)

We spoke about these claims by Bhikkhu Bodhi already. I haven’t changed my mind since, but I’ll watch that video later. I will grant you that it is some of the harder to rebuke evidence in favor of your view, which is probably why Bhikkhu Bodhi, whom I admire, sticks to that and not vinnana anidassana and so forth that other teachers bring up. (Unless he does mention it in the talk, which would be sort of disappointing.)

I can understand you not buying the emotional/ontological distinction I made with reference to some of these terms, but then there’s another option. Because I can also talk about a “sphere” of absence, a “state” of non-existence, a “realm” of nothingness, and all that doesn’t sound particularly odd to me. What “sphere” means is qualified by what follows, namely absence. And that is exactly how it is in the Ud8.1 on the āyatana, which is followed by a long list of things NOT being there, and nothing that is there.

It’s basically the spiritual form of suicide.

This term seems overly negative since it’s colored with people’s emotional ideas. Perhaps “spiritual euthanasia” would make it a bit less laden; or better, “spiritual voluntary end of life”. I myself don’t take it the wrong way, though, and I’ll go with it. I have no negative bias toward the word myself. So let’s say it is spiritual suicide, even though I’d never call it that myself.

Then there is still a huge difference. And that’s because there is no self to kill. People who are suicidal have a very strong sense of self. As you say, they have “the desire to annihilate themselves, to bring all their pain to an end”. To me, it’s only suffering that comes to an end and it’s nothing to do with “me”. So no, the logic is actually completely different. I have no personal interest in ending existence, it’s just what naturally happens if I let go of desire. So there is another thing that separates my view from suicide other than rebirth, and it is a very important thing.

But I also still don’t agree with your argument that rebirth makes no difference. It does, because the amount of suffering that ends is millions times greater. As the Buddha said: “Bhikkhus, this saṁsara is without discoverable beginning. […] Just that [knowledge] is enough to experience revulsion towards all formations, enough to become dispassionate towards them, enough to be liberated from them.” The ontological outcome of cessationism versus one-lifetime suicide is perhaps the same (we’re speaking hypothetically!), but its emotional value is measured against that of the antithesis. Cessation after one life is not very emotionally “rewarding”, because one life, especially if it’s a good and healthy life like I hope you have, may not be considered that bad. But cessation after “undiscoverable” many lives is very much more emotionally valuable, because the amount of suffering is compounded, and it’s not at all fun to do the same thing all over “again and again” as the Buddha said, even if it were a good life.

We argued before why cessationism isn’t annihilism, that it is the self view that’s makes the difference. Let’s keep that in mind. I prefer not to mix annihilism with nihilism though, because the latter has all sorts of meanings. In the Buddha’s times what is sometimes translated as “nihilism” was not believing in kamma for example. That’s not what we call “nihilism” nowadays. And even nowadays the word has many meanings, as you’ll probably know. So I won’t say whether my views are nihilistic or not, because that’s too vague a term to me. Also, like suicide, it just has too much of an emotional burden for people, to the extent that just calling someone a nihilist is already considered to be an argument sometimes. :smiley: (Luckily this discussion is not of that nature.) Perhaps define nihilism more clearly, and I can say what I think.

I can answer the extinction button thought-experiment, though. That’s a fun one! The answer is, I don’t know if I would press that button, and I don’t feel I would be logically forced to either. Because since there is no self, it also doesn’t really matter if suffering continues. Yeah, it’s suffering, but it’s like the rock in front of my hut: it’s just another thing in nature. Me not pressing the button is like paccekabuddhas didn’t start teaching. Why didn’t they? I think because it didn’t really matter to “them” if self-less aggregates kept continuing. :slight_smile: (Including their own, by the way. But it’s just natural that if seen as suffering, they can’t possibly continue.)

Now, I think cessation is a cool idea, and I can make it valuable to me. But in reality non-existence and existence both have no value, because there’s no-one to whom it applies.

Because what is value really? To me it’s a construct of the mind, not something intrinsic in the universe or in anything in itself. Value is what we give to things. Because it’s a mental construct to me, that’s exactly why I mixed it up with “emotion”, I hope you understand now.

However, nibbana is still emotionally positive. Because it’s still suffering coming to an end. If suffering is understood, it is a natural inclination of the mind (called disillusionment/fading away) to move away from it. Nibbana doesn’t need to have any intrinsic value for that to happen.

What I meant is, cessationalism is an extremely rare view in the history of religions, I dare say it is a unique view.

Exactly!!! :smiley: Yes! YES. The Buddha was a genius. As I said, he wouldn’t have had to discover things for himself if he believed in continuism. But he did have to, because nobody else had awoken to the truth, so nobody could teach him. Even though his society was extremely spiritual with all sorts of views. That’s why the Buddha had to teach “things not heard before”. The dhamma is indeed truly deep, difficult to see.

I don’t get how this would be an argument against my view, I think it heavily in favor of it, considering also what the Buddha himself said about few beings crossing over the river, most just walking down the bank.

Well, I don’t think that the nibbanic awareness that I accept is “holding on to awareness”. It’s precisely an awareness that has completely let go of all things, even sense consciousness, and even itself.

But that’s not the statement. The question is not are you holding on to it, but is it WORTH (alaṃ) holding onto? (Note: others may translate alaṃ differently, so you could argue the Buddha never posed this. I’ll just give you that. But I think that’s what he’s saying.)

This nibbanic awareness is something like the appatiṭṭha viññāṇa (unestablished consciousness or consciousness without barriers) of SN 22.87 that Mara could not find. It’s like the consciousness that is “unestablished, not coming to growth, nongenerative, liberated. By being liberated, it is steady; by being steady, it is content…” (SN 22.53). It is similar to the anissita viññāṇa that the devas cannot find in MN 22: “When a mendicant’s mind was freed like this, the gods together with Indra, Brahmā, and the Progenitor, search as they may, will not discover: ‘This is what the Realized One’s consciousness depends on.’ Why is that? Because even in the present life the Realized One is not found, I say.” Thus, here we have a kind of consciousness that does not depend on anything.

Furthermore, this nibbanic awareness is similar to the unsupported consciousness that does not land on anything

I’ll send you a PM later with a draft paper explaining what I think this all means.

Similarly, nibbana is described as something that can be directly known (e.g. MN1), but can one “directly know” non-existence?

Yes. But not in the moment itself. It’s like the Buddha not having reached the destination yet, but being able to see it. Because he understood how existence is dependently originated and how it will cease when the conditions are no longer present. It goes deeper than that, since it’s not just a theory, and they have also seen the mind cease temporarily already. Coming back after that cessation, they have “directly known” what it is like.

I also want to say that even though I use terms like consciousness and awareness, this nibbanic experience is radically different than what we call “consciousness” in everyday speech, since it is contentless, unestablished, limitless, not suffering, and so on. Thus, even though it is a kind of subtle experience, it is only in a metaphorical or very loose sense that I say it’s a “consciousness.”

That doesn’t make sense to me. If there is an experience, there must be some sort of awareness or consciousness. How can you experience something without awareness? Perhaps this is just trying to fit a specific view in with the suttas, which mention the cessation of consciousness and so forth. What is the ontological difference between experience and awareness? To me it’s just different words for the same thing. A bit of the equivocators’ “I don’t say it’s this, I don’t say it’s that. I don’t say it’s so, I don’t say it’s not so.” (DN1) That is what it feels like. No offense meant at all. I just don’t understand it! :slight_smile:

I’ll end with this. (MN60, my translation, so check some others too. Added some brackets with my opinions.)

“Householders, there are some renunciants and brahmins who have the doctrine and view that there is no complete cessation of existence. [=continuitism] And there are some renunciants and brahmins whose doctrine directly contradicts this, saying that there is a complete cessation of existence. [=cessationism] Householders, tell me what you think. Don’t these doctrines directly contradict each other?”

“Yes, sir.”

“A clever person reflects on this as follows: ‘Some say there is a complete cessation of existence, but I have not seen so. Others say that there no complete cessation of existence, but I have not seen so either. As long as I don’t know and see, it would be inappropriate for me to take one side and declare that it is the only truth and other ideas are mistaken. If those who say there is no complete cessation of existence are correct, it is possible I will be guaranteed a rebirth among the formless gods consisting of perception. But if those who say that there is a complete cessation of existence are correct, it is possible I will get extinguished in this very life. The view of those who say there is no complete cessation of existence is close to desire, attachment, enjoyment, clinging, and taking up. But the view of those who say there is a complete cessation of existence is close to desirelessness, non-attachment, non-enjoyment, freedom from clinging, and freedom from taking up.’ After reflecting like this, they practice just [! (eva)] for disillusionment towards existence, for loss of desire for existence, and for the cessation of existence.”

Now, I’ll let you have the final word, then after that I can hopefully pinpoint our difference and summarize my thoughts for you to respond to, so we can finish this as nicely as it started. (Unless you already see the main disgreements, then perhaps you can summarize them.)

I know I skipped a few arguments, sorry 'bout that. Perhaps one day in the future I’ll come back to this. There were also some philosophers you mentioned that I didn’t know of, and I didn’t want to assume to understand what they were teaching. Hence I didn’t reply to those bits.

PS. “Like the monks who committed suicide after practicing death contemplation.” They did body contemplation, I belief. The difference is perhaps interesting, but let’s not get into it. I find it quite an unbelievable story anyway, if you’re referring to the one in the Vinaya. At least it’s highly exaggerated there for dramatic effect, I’d say. Anyway.

Thanks for the nice exchange. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just wanted to chime in and agree with @Preston 's agreement with the EBT’s (and me)

Just a couple of points:

1. Plenty can be said about what must be true inside black holes :slight_smile:

2. The emphasis in the qoute should be on “stated”.

Other than that this is exactly right, and there are dozens of examples across the common core of nikaya and agama sources across D M S and E.

Plus the evidence of “anatta” and “niether the same nor different nor otherwise” being overlapping in SN and SA…

But hobby horses and all that.

1 Like

Don’t ruin my simile. Actually I realized the same after writing (I have an undergrad in physics actually), but I figured the imagery would get the point across well enough. To be fair there is a singularity somewhere within the event horizon where spacetime (and the current laws of physics) breaks down, and passing the event horizon guarantees getting pulled into it.

Anywho, it would be nice to see a few of the suttas besides those I cited which you think make this point most strongly if you have the chance to dig them up.

2 Likes

Hiya Preston!

In English, yes, I would have to concede, I’d say. (Though there are some things that I could respond with.)

But in Pāli there is no word for ‘nothing’ and it literally says “something else will not exist”. In my view there is not a “something else” apart from the six senses, so it’s wrong to say that it will not (or ‘no longer’) exist.

This sutta is just the tettralemma rephrased: will exist, will no longer exist, will both exist and no longer exist; will neither exist nor no longer exist. Unfortunately this gets lost in the English; it’s pretty obvious in the original. Well, to me anyway. :smiley:

Didn’t we go over this before or was it somebody else with a P icon? :slight_smile:

2 Likes