What does it mean for offerings to be "accepted" in puja?

I’m using Amaravati Chanting book, which contains the line “Ime sakkare duggata-pannakara-bhute patigganhatu” (Sorry, I’m too lazy to figure out how to type the diacritics). They translate: “May these simple offerings be accepted.” What is meant by this? Who is accepting them? The Buddha? Seems impossible…

1 Like

Hi @1hullofaguy.

As I understand it, that chant is used by lay followers who have given food and\or requisites to the monastery. The offerings are to the “Buddha, The Dhamma and the Sangha”

One, the Lord who attained perfect enlightenment,
To the teaching which he expounded so well,
And to the Blessed One’s disciples, who have practised well,
To these – the Buddha, the Dhamma and the Sangha –
We render with offerings our rightful homage.

It is well for us, Blessed One, that having attained liberation,
You still had compassion for the later generations,
Deign to accept these simple offerings
For our long-lasting benefit and for the happiness it gives us.

The Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened and Blessed One
I render homage to the Buddha, the Blessed One. (bow)

The teaching so completely explained by him
I bow to the Dhamma. (bow)

The Blessed One’s disciples who have practised well
I bow to the Sangha. (bow)

It is all about emulating the gesture, intent and action of making a formal offering to the triple gem.
Surely the Tathagatha cannot be said to be or not be anymore around for accepting your offer.
But that doesn’t stop you from imagined what a great thing it would be to be in front of him and be able to make such offerings. Same for the Sangha of awakened disciples and the less tangible but powerful teaching and discipline (Dhamma-vinaya) taught but the Buddha and preserved for our own benefit.
The objective is to create in one’s heart confidence and reverence towards the triple gems, which in turn could work as a useful ornament to the mind.
If it doesn`t ring any bell to you just skip it. But do consider finding an alternative solid way of acquiring inspiration, joy and gladness so much needed for the development of the internal elements of the eightfold path (right effort, mindfulness, immersion).
Hope it helps.
:anjal:

4 Likes