What does it mean "to dwell contemplating body in body... etc"?

I like it :slightly_smiling_face:. While only guessing, my translation from kindergarten Pali class is:

ā€œthe bhikkhu dwells (viharati) as a contemplater (ānupassÄ«) of bodies (kāyā) in the body (kāye)ā€.

This seems to conform with MN 118, which states:

Kāyesu kāyaƱƱatarāhaį¹ƒ, bhikkhave, evaį¹ƒ vadāmi yadidaį¹ƒā€”assāsapassāsā

I tell you, monks, that this ā€” the in-&-out breath ā€” is classed as a body (kāya) among bodies (kāyesu)

:seedling:

Hi all,

When this topic comes up people always focus on ā€œkāye kāyānupassÄ« viharatiā€, which makes things a bit difficult because of the much wider meaning the Pali word kaya has than the English word body. When I was translating this passage it all became quite clear to me when I came to the vedana:

vedanāsu vedanānupassī viharati

Vedanāsu is plural here. If you then also know that the locative case (translatable with ā€œinā€) can also mean ā€œamongā€ (just as Deeele pointed out in MN118) the translation becomes quite easy: he contemplates on a feeling amongst (all possible) feelings.

Vedana is not very often used in the plural as far as Iā€™m aware. For example the vedana-aggregate is always singular as it is not one specific feeling, but feeling in general. If the sentence would want to say that one contemplates feeling as feeling (to be without self or whatever) then I would very much expect the singular. Likewise, if one would be a ā€œfeeling-meditator with respect to feelingā€ the singular would be more natural. The plural is really quite illustrative, showing that one picks one feeling, or even one aspect of that feeling, among ā€˜all feelingsā€™ and focuses on that.

So similary with kaya, one focusses on one aspect of the body (ie the breath, its nature to die, etc). I would translate the phrase as ā€œhe meditates on an aspect of the bodyā€. Sort of combining anupassi and viharati into one verb, which I think is OK because viharati doesnā€™t mean very much, often used like the English verb ā€œto beā€.

Metta!
Sunyo

5 Likes

MN 118 appears to only contemplate on pleasant feelings in the 2nd tetrad.

This idea about ā€œall possible feelingsā€ appears to be heavily influenced by MN 10.

What about ā€˜feelings-meditator?ā€™

The difference between vedana & kaya is ā€˜kayaā€™ is naturally plural, namely, meaning ā€œgroupā€
or ā€œcollectionā€, even though this ā€˜groupā€™ is often spoken of as singular, namely, ā€˜the groupā€™.

Again, this appears heavily influenced by MN 10.

MN 118 appears to only contemplate on the pleasant feelings that naturally & inevitably arise from calming the breathing, namely, rapture (piti) & happiness (sukkha).

While MN 118 appears to be the more authentic sutta, I think a definitive translation must match both MN 118 & MN 10.

In other words, it is probably OK to use a different translation for practical purposes for MN 10 and MN 118, respectively, however we probably should avoid getting dogmatic about what the translation most truly is.

If that was so, would not the Pali be similar to stage 3, namely, ā€œsabbavedaĀ­nāpaį¹­iĀ­saį¹ƒĀ­vedÄ«ā€? :neutral_face:

Again, MN 10 & MN 118 are vastly different suttas despite each sutta sharing the common phrases that are the subject of this topic.

You seem to be imputing MN 10 onto MN 118, which is obviously dhammically inappropriate.

The Pali is ā€˜sabbaĀ­kāĀ­yapaį¹­iĀ­saį¹ƒĀ­vedÄ«ā€™. ā€˜Sabbaā€™, according to its predominate use, means ā€œallā€ rather than ā€œoneā€ (ekka) or ā€œwholeā€ (kevala). Therefore, ā€˜sabbaĀ­kāĀ­yapaį¹­iĀ­saį¹ƒĀ­vedÄ«ā€™ appears to refer to experiencing all of the different ā€˜kayaā€™ (such as nama, rupa & breath kaya) at the same time within the ā€˜kayaā€™ (ā€˜groupā€™; ā€˜collectionā€™) & how they interrelate or intercondition eachother.

Please keep in mind Buddhist practise is about understanding suffering & its cessation therefore training (sikkhati) in meditation should probably require more than just observing objects. It should probably ideally observe how such objects contribute to suffering & peace.

SN 12.2 appears to explain ā€˜deathā€™ (ā€˜maranaā€™) occurs to ā€˜a beingā€™ (ā€˜sattaā€™) therefore it seems doubtful the breath ā€˜diesā€™. In Pali, the word for the breath passing appears to be ā€˜atthaį¹…gamoā€™ (in AN 4.41) or ā€˜vayaĀ­dhamĀ­māĀ­nuĀ­passÄ«ā€™ (in MN 10) rather than ā€˜maranaā€™. It seems DN 11 argues the air-element does not cease without remainder.

Again, this view here appear to be heavily influenced by MN 10, for which doubts about its authenticity have been posted elsewhere. While I do not doubt MN 10 is a very useful for helping to develop mindfulness in respect to different aspects of the body & experience, when it comes to developing the Noble Path, including jhana, the field of meditation is much more limited or narrow, as described in MN 118.

OK. As requested. :penguin:

Again, this appears heavily influenced by MN 10.

It may appear so, but it isnā€™t. The phrase in question occurs in a great many suttas, usually in the narrower context of the four satipatthanas as in SN45.8 for example. The longer contexts such as MN118 and MN10 can be seen as exceptions and they shouldnā€™t determine the interpretation if we can do without. Of course the translation must work in them too, but I did not really base my opinion on either of them, since the shorter contexts you find so much more often.

And the locative case is unmistakable in all cases. (eg vedanāsu vedanānupassÄ« viharati ) The ā€œpart of the wholeā€ locative (partitive locative) is quite common and does make a lot of sense here. It is used in phrases such as tassaį¹ƒ parisāyaį¹ƒ koci "a certain one among the assembly*. As Wijasekara points out this locative can have the function of selection of one amongst many. He says: ā€œspecification (i.e. selection or separation) the loc. or the gen. can optionally be used.ā€ (Goolge ā€œsyntax of the pali casesā€ to find this excellent work.)

The locative does not carry the meaning of ā€œasā€. So ā€œthe body as the bodyā€ is not possible. I think the ablative may have that meaning. Wijasekara will tell you, but I must admit I have read only very little of it.

Then does the partitive work in the bigger contexts? Yes, it does. In MN118 you donā€™t just focus on feeling in general, but on a specific feeling such as piti or sukha. And you donā€™t focus on dhamma in general but on a specific thing such as impermanence or fading away. MN10 as DN22 mention many more possible feelings and possibilities for the other three satipatthanas, but the principle is the same: you donā€™t focus on all of them at once but on a specific one.

If that was so, would not the Pali be similar to stage 3, namely, ā€œsabbavedaĀ­nāpaį¹­iĀ­saį¹ƒĀ­vedÄ«ā€? :neutral_face:

I see no reason why it should. Thereā€™s always more than one way to say the same thing.

Please keep in mind Buddhist practise is about understanding suffering & its cessation therefore training (sikkhati) in meditation should probably require more than just observing objects. It should probably ideally observe how such objects contribute to suffering & peace.
Iā€™m not refuting this not does the suggested interpretation exclude it, but satipatthana is broader than that.

it seems doubtful the breath ā€˜diesā€™.
I was talking about the body. The breath and death are both aspect of the body.

I hope this clarifies things.

With metta,
Sunyo

3 Likes

Not really. However, it goes beyond the purpose of the thread. I restarted the thread to simply express my new understanding about ā€œlocativesā€.

However, it may not explicitly refute the ā€œasā€ assertions since ā€œcontemplating bodies in the bodyā€ still may have a vipassana nuance, in that the meditator does not contemplate ā€˜selfā€™ in the body.

Regards. :seedling:

What about:
breathing in & out in when inhaling
and brething in & out when exhaling.
The all breath while brething in and the all breath while breathing out?

sabbakaya (the all breath) while breathing in
sabbakaya while breathing out

ā€œBody as the bodyā€ would make more sense to me. I take it to mean focusing exclusively on one frame of reference at a time.

1 Like

Again, why should one consider contemplating body (aka breath) in the body as, for instance an in and out breath in an in breath?
(see previous post)
First, because breath is a feeling.
What is meant here is to feel the feeling of both an in and an out breath in an in breath. The same holds for the out breath (viz, to feel the feeling of the in, then the feeling of an out breath within an out breath.
This is why the first step in anapanasati is to know the particularity of each breath (viz, their ā€œfeelingā€).
Secondly, because this is also about" flow", as in SN 52.1.
If one search for the proper root of samudaya, one should find that udeti (ud+eti of root i) has to do with ā€œflowā€. Here, collectively, or synergetically with sam (samudeti).

May I add that in SN52. 1, patikula does not mean ā€œrepulsiveā€ as in other suttas, but instead it means ā€œagainst the currentā€, as in AV (Atharva Veda).
The second part of SN 52.1 becomes:
"if he wishes: 'may I dwell the Against-the-flow in the In_the-flow, he dwells perceiving the Against_the_flow therein.

Breath is not just ā€œbreathingā€ through the nose or the mouth. It is about feeling and flow.
How could breath be through the nose in sankhara nidana?

I was listening to one of his talks, and I came across that passage which I thought I would share with you for your reference. The exact phrase Ajahn Brahm said is as follows:

ā€œThis is the idiom of Pali: to repeat words. [For example] you brick clean bricks, you teeth brush your teeth. In Pali language, there is always repetition. [If you donā€™t recognize this, it] adds another meaning into the English [translation] which is not there in the originalā€¦The most common example is in the famous Satipatthana Suttaā€¦sometimes people say the first Satipatthana Sutta is to contemplate body as body which is ridiculous. Itā€™s wrong. Itā€™s bad Pali. You just contemplate bodyā€¦anytime they say ā€œbody in the body,ā€ you are missing the point: You are just contemplating bodyā€¦no more than that. Itā€™s just a peculiarity of Pali to repeat words where in English you only say it once.ā€

This paragraph is stated at around the 62:15 mark in his talk on MN13 Mahadukkhakkhanda Sutta - Discourse on the Mass of Suffering | Ajahn Brahmavamso | 11-02-2007 available at https://www.podbean.com/ei/pb-fi2t8-e712cc

Commensurate with this, Iā€™ve noticed that some translators have chosen instead to only use the phrase ā€œbodyā€ (instead of ā€œbody in the bodyā€ or ā€œbody as bodyā€) ; this is what Bhante Sujato does here SuttaCentral and Thanissaro Bhikkhu uses ā€œbody in & of itselfā€ here Anapanasati Sutta: Mindfulness of Breathing

I think this is an interesting perspective and is a reasonable approach to consider because it avoids confusion.

2 Likes

The word . ā€œanupassanaā€ as per VRI publications in book on Satipatthana by Goenkaji, means continuosly, from moment to moment.
Kayanupassi based on this would be observing the body from moment to moment continuosly.
As far as the repetition of word ā€œkaye kayanupassiā€, the same pattern is used in vedanāsu vedanānupassÄ«ā€¦ citte cittānupassÄ«ā€¦ dhammesu dhammānupassÄ«.
It may be observing the body (kaye) and the other contemplation factors in Vipassana from moment to moment. It is a unique feature of the language to integregate the verb with the object to create a specific verb which is more descriptive.Based on this, the interpretation , body within body may not be applicable
MettašŸ™šŸ»

To contemplate one has to first direct attention to whatever is to be contemplated. In this sense, ā€œkaye kayanupassiā€ means paying attention to the body and then contemplate its true nature - impermanence, unsatisfactoriness and not self nature.
The same is true for other three contemplations IMHO.
With Metta