What does these terms from satipatthana mean exactly? EBT answer

Hi! I’m new here… I’ve been reading the satipatthana sutta and I can’t understand this terms from cittānupassana part:

A) expansive mind
B)unexpansive mind

C)mind that’s supreme
D) mind that’s not supreme

I would appreciate so much if you explain it using suttas as refference… I mean without Visuddhimagga and abiddhamma…

Metta, thanks :wheel_of_dharma::pray:

1 Like

Hi @DavidCeballos , welcome to SuttaCentral D&D.
Just to confirm, you are referring to DN22, right?

DN22

:anjal:

2 Likes

If you name the mindstates from this version, I will answer:

“He knows a lustful mind to be “lustful”, and a mind without lust to be “without lust”; he knows an angry mind to be “angry”, and a mind without anger to be “without anger”; he knows a deluded mind to be “deluded”, and a mind without delusion to be “without delusion”; he knows a contracted mind to be “contracted”, and a distracted mind to be “distracted”; he knows a great mind to be “great”, and a narrow mind to be “narrow”; he knows a surpassable mind to be “surpassable”, and an unsurpassable mind to be “unsurpassable”; he knows a concentrated mind to be “concentrated”, and an unconcentrated mind to be “unconcentrated”; he knows a liberated mind to be “liberated”, and an unliberated mind to be “unliberated”.2” —-Analayo

2 Likes

@paul1 thanks, the terms are:

1. a great mind

2. a narrow mind

3. a surpassable mind

4. an unsurpassable mind

1 Like

@Gabriel_L thanks :slight_smile: , I am referring to MN 10 but I thinks that both suttas says almost the same

These two categories commence the higher states of mind under the third foundation and so they are both concerned with development. When MN 121 is applied to surpassable/unsurpassable, they are both concerned with spatial expansion indicating that is a significant theme in mind development.

A mind grown great refers to progressive spatial expansion of the mind as would be obtained through kasina practice (MN 127):

“Householder, what is the release of mind grown great? The bhikkhu indulges pervading the extent of the root of one tree and abides. This is the release of mind grown great. The bhikkhu indulges pervading the extent of the roots of two or three trees and abides. This is the release of mind grown great. The bhikkhu indulges pervading the extent of one village and its fields and abides. This too is the release of mind grown great. The bhikkhu indulges pervading the extent of one large kingdom and abides. This too is the release of mind grown great. The bhikkhu indulges pervading the extent of two or three large kingdoms and abides. This too is the release of mind grown great. The bhikkhu indulges pervading the earth limited by the great ocean and abides. This too is the release of mind grown great.”

Surpassable refers to the strategy of developing one meditation subject after another through reviewing or applying insight to the current subject, and discerning the disadvantages of it, culminating in the unsurpassable, as shown for example in MN 121:

"He discerns that ‘Whatever disturbances that would exist based on the perception of village are not present. Whatever disturbances that would exist based on the perception of human being are not present. There is only this modicum of disturbance: the singleness based on the perception of wilderness.’

[…]

"Ananda, whatever contemplatives and brahmans who in the past entered & remained in an emptiness that was pure, superior, & unsurpassed, they all entered & remained in this very same emptiness that is pure, superior, & unsurpassed.”

4 Likes

Thanks @paul1 that was useful :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cool. So let’s present others a link to it as well!

MN10

:anjal:

3 Likes