What exactly encompasses the "Path to Liberation"?

No, I do not believe in it.

yes, I’m familiar with that usual explanation.

For me, of course Nibbana is pleasant and there is consciousness in it. For me, the Buddha was experiencing full Nibbana from under the Bodhi Tree. I understand Nibbana to be the end of suffering, which is the Five Clinging aggregates, not the Five Aggregates.

1. upadi-sesa Nibbana → 2. anupadi-sesa Nibbana

the usual version:

1. “Nibbana with aggregates remaining” happened to the Buddha under the Bodhi Tree
    →
  2. “Nibbana without aggregates/parinibbana” at the Buddha’s life’s end

my version:

1. “nibbana with clinging remaining” happened when the Buddha attained the stream, some indeterminate time before the Bodhi Tree
    →
  2. “nibbana without clinging remaining/parinibbana” happened under the Bodhi Tree.

My full analysis is here: https://www.academia.edu/27142665/Self_and_Ego

I was trying to point to the motivation of the council, that the whole myth of Buddhist Councils was created as means of controlling the masses, by controlling the texts. So yes, the council was not only worthless, but motivated by ego. Also they did not apply the second piece of the instruction from the Buddha about holding councils for maintaining the purity of the teaching.

I believe the perfect teaching of the Buddha can be found through the Sutta pitaka. I believe there are authentic teachings in it.

1 Like