What is the best translation for sankhara?

I am not qualified on the pali/Sanskrit side of things to come up with a term, but I would hazard a guess from these above quotes that “agency” would be a good translation term.

Agency, however, is a loaded term, defined differently in different academic disciplines. Here I am thinking of Laura Ahearn’s thought provoking article that I am linking to bellow. Agency can be defined as the “socioculturally mediated capacity to act.” This is of course more of an outsider term used to describe how agency is then defined and worked from culture to culture. Devas, Abrahamic God, ghosts, can all have agency if they are culturally accepted to have capacities to act on society. Karma, fate, free will, are all kinds of agency that then have effects on our culturally mediated options for action. There can be different kinds of agency, then—such as collective agency (social movements, unions), or being an agent on behalf of someone else (like a lawyer, or a prophet, the state acting on behalf of the people, etc).

So for Buddhism, the previous causes of the chain are part of the Buddhist framework for agency. But agency is broader, because it can include not just causes but also conditions—so I am not sure this is the best translation. But I figure I’d float it and see what you think!

1 Like