What is the most successful insight practice?

I couldn’t grasp the seven awakening factors until I split them into 3 invigorating factors, 3 calming factors and equanimity:

mindfulness, investigation of principles, energy, :sleeping: :arrow_right: :man_cartwheeling:
rapture, tranquility, immersion, :crazy_face: :arrow_right: :meditation:
and equanimity. :balance_scale:

After that I understood that the two groups of three counterbalance each other and allow us to practice the middle way. SN46.53 helped me understand this breakdown. And because of this, to address my own tendencies, I spend more time walking meditation than sitting meditation–I am inclined to be a sluggish turtle and it’s very hard to fall asleep standing on one leg :turtle:

NOTE: THE ABOVE HAS AN ERROR. SEE CORRECTION BELOW.

2 Likes

I can answer categorically - no, i don’t think the factor of Samadhi is unnecessary. I wonder what made you ask that :thinking:

Analytical answer in short is;
I don’t see how one would attain the path, the fruition or the signless/unprovoked concentration release without developing Samadhi. Let alone those high attainments, i don’t think one could attain any lower meditative attainments without developing Samadhi.

I’d guess that if one neglected Samadhi as much as possible but had the wisdom of a Faith or a Dhamma-Follower one would realize fruition at the moment of death but i am just guessing.

There is a Sutta saying that one who developed insight should seek out a person who has developed Samatha and vice versa.

As to what exactly is Samadhi, how many variants of Samadhi there are, how these come into play and what is their relation to the Factor of Dhammavicaya and it’s particulars, that is a quite difficult question to answer and i wouldn’t attempt it now.

I am not sure if it is a satisfying answer, perhaps you wanted to know if i have a position on the notion of dry-insight.

late edit; i left out Passadhi but i would answer it analogically for that one

That’s funny because usually equanimity is considered a tranquility factor, rapture (aka “zeal”) is an energizing factor, and mindfulness is called the balancing factor :thinking:

2 Likes

Yes, see SN46.53 SuttaCentral for example.

4 Likes

Ack. You’re right! :scream_cat:

• investigation of principles, energy, and rapture :sleeping: :arrow_right: :man_cartwheeling:
  • tranquility, immersion, equanimity :crazy_face: :arrow_right: :meditation:
  • and mindfulness. :eyes: :arrow_right: :balance_scale:

I was muddled and misremembered. Thank you for the correction!

:pray: :pray: :pray:

2 Likes