What is the realm of luminous form?

The realm of luminous form appears to sit between the sensual realm and the formless realm, but I can’t seem to find a description of it in the EBT. Does anyone know what it is like? I assume there is no connection to “luminous mind”?

1 Like

I think this is the form (rupa) jhana realms- ie the brahma lokas.

1 Like

Based on DN33, there are seven planes of consciousness. There is one plane of sensual consciousness, three planes associated with the first three jhanas, and the three formless planes. Therefore, the luminous realm must be associated with the jhana planes:

249 There are sentient beings that are diverse in body and unified in perception, such as the gods reborn in Brahmā’s Host through the first absorption. This is the second plane of consciousness.

250There are sentient beings that are unified in body and diverse in perception, such as the gods of streaming radiance. This is the third plane of consciousness.

251There are sentient beings that are unified in body and unified in perception, such as the gods replete with glory. This is the fourth plane of consciousness.

Interestingly, given the above, DN33 would also sggest that the luminous realm is one of pleasant rebirth:

87 Three kinds of pleasant rebirth. There are sentient beings who, having repeatedly given rise to it, dwell in pleasure. Namely, the gods of Brahmā’s Host. This is the first pleasant rebirth. There are sentient beings who are drenched, steeped, filled, and soaked with pleasure. Every so often they feel inspired to exclaim: ‘Oh, what bliss! Oh, what bliss!’ Namely, the gods of streaming radiance. This is the second pleasant rebirth. There are sentient beings who are drenched, steeped, filled, and soaked with pleasure. Since they’re truly content, they experience pleasure. Namely, the gods replete with glory. This is the third pleasant rebirth.

Note that SN45.164 directs that the luminous realm is a milestone, not the goal. Indeed, all seven planes of consciousness are to be transcended.

2 Likes

“The gods of streaming radiance…” Cool! :grin:

1 Like