What is tricycle

Hearing Thanissaro mentioning doing articles for tricycle. I’m not familiar with them but can gather by the name it probably incorporates all 3 major schools. For someone like myself young in the practice and trying to remain with in the Pali tradition should it be avoided.

Why would you avoid the perspectives of other fellow Buddhists? We all take the three jewels as our guide, even if we have different understandings.

4 Likes

It is a magazine:

2 Likes

Understanding and practising Theravada is a full time job, and Thanissaro has a particularly advanced, but logical insight. In that case Tricycle is irrelevant. Whatever he has there is better available in context with his other writings and You Tube audio.

1 Like

I strongly agree. I advise @JoeL, for what it’s worth, that one should be careful to avoid purist tendencies. I believe the Paramatthakasutta came up in another thread … but I recommend reading if you haven’t yet.

https://suttacentral.net/snp4.5/en/sujato

5 Likes

Yeah, Tricycle is a mixed bag. They’re giving a popular presentation of many traditions and threads, so there’s bound to be stuff in there for anyone to (dis)agree with.

For what it’s worth, here are a few articles and podcast episodes from Tricycle which I recommend:

4 Likes

I agree. I have learned a lot from contact with people from other traditions, especially with real-world issues. I try to distinguish between “using one tradition as one’s main guide”, which I think is actually what JoeL is talking about,and “disparaging anything that differs, even minutely”. The former is helpful in avoiding confusion. So I consider the EBTs as my main “map”, and if something comes up that really doesn’t fit I just think “That’s an interesting way of looking at it, but it doesn’t really fit into the map I’m using…”

5 Likes

100% agree with you. My “route” into the Pali tradition started with a Mahayana temple (and Barnes & Noble Buddhism lol), and I still to this day love Mahayana literature; nonetheless, my true love (typical Western romanticizing) is the EBT stuff. Just so much out there, and there are plenty worthwhile insights to be found, even if we only reflect upon them momentarily.

1 Like

The magazine is properly where they started, but they now have a range of other initiatives as well. Their blurb here focuses on the magazine but clicking on the link displays more.

2 Likes