What is your favorite dhamma talk you've listened to?

Hello all,

Following on the steps of What is your desert island sutta?, I became curious about what dhamma talks the members here think have been the most meaningful, instructive or deepest they have heard, or simply cherish as favorite.

Often, reading suttas alone can be a dry experience and their meanings hidden under ancient, compressed sentences. It may be hard to feel inspired by them, understand them or even notice their depth. But, sometimes, we hear or read a dhamma talk that really throws light in the meanings of the teachings. Sometimes, decoded passages become alive, powerful and so inspiring. Or we simply gain a fresh perspective on the entire message of the Buddha.

So, in the same spirit as the aforementioned thread, maybe we can post one or two talks, be it a youtube video, an audio, a link to a transcript, essay or a book? This can be specially fruitful for those who, like me, are not part of a sangha where they would get to hear dhamma. :disappointed:

So, to start

One dhamma talk that I find myself playing once in a while to hear is Ajahn Siripanno’s talk on the Timeless Teachings of Ajahn Chah. There’s something about it that really captivates me. A simple honesty in describing his encounter with Buddhism, and a candor in his voice when speaking, particularly about the pursue of truth. The sound of his voice alone demands my mind to be calm, mindful and concentrated. Below the link to part 1/3.

Another of my favorites is Ven. Ñāáč‡ananda’s “The Magic of the Mind: An Exposition of the Kalakarama Sutta”. His command of the teachings and his ability to use words and explore the implications and nature of mind using a single sutta as stage made a deep impression on me.

https://www.dhammatalks.net/Books12/Katukurunde-Nanananda-Bhikkhu_the_Magic_of_the_Mind.pdf

:anjal:

8 Likes

Various dipanis written by Ledi Sayadaw.

Thank you for sharing @anon35250929 !

This might not answer your question directly, but there is a whole podcast out there - literally called Deeper Dhamma - with lots of great Dhamma talks by Ajahn Brahm, Ajahn Brahmali, Bhante Sujato and others.

Just in case someone was missing out on this
 Here is a link: :c3po: :blush:

I wouldn’t be able to pick a deepest talk though. They’re all meaningful and moving to me. I guess it depends on your mood or mindset in the moment. :lotus:

3 Likes

That’s great, thank you!

It’s totally fine, actually I forgot to rename the title to “favorite” before posting :confused:

1 Like

Nice discussion topic @anon35250929, thanks. The most inspiring Dhamma I’ve heard (outside the suttas themselves) are Ven Nananada’s Nibbana sermons. Somewhere the audio files are available for most of the sermons but I can’t seem to find them now. Does anyone else happen to know where they can be found? I have the actual MP3 files saved but don’t know where I found them.

5 Likes

The audio files are here http://seeingthroughthenet.net/albums/nibbana-the-mind-stilled/

Seems like the audios are in sinhalese. Then translated into english in the pdfs. Which also discussed by Bhikkhu Anālayo (in english) in his Spring-Summer 2017 – Nibbāna: The Mind Stilled lectures.

3 Likes

If you enjoy Ajahn Siripanno’s presentation, the Abhyagiri podcast is great.

An Ajahn Brahm talk I go back to every so often is this one:
https://bswa.org/teaching/happiness-industry-joy-at-last-by-ajahn-brahm-2/ i was new to Dhamma when I heard it and it shocked me a bit. I haven’t listened in a while but the last time was much clearer!

I just finished a retreat with Ven. Dhammajiva Maha Thero and was so impressed with his talks. He based the retreat around DN34 and gave 10 brilliant talks around the 3 kinds of craving. The retreat I sat was taught I Singhala so we had English recordings from an August retreat held at MÄ«trigala in English.

I see his English retreat from Jhana Grove last week is up too. So I will continue my Dhammajivāthon

3 Likes

Could we have a tl;dr of this talk? :grin:

LOL
Happiness is not found externally, in the pursuit of pleasure.

It’s not such a long talk and Ajahn knows Dhamma much better than I do.

1 Like

Thanks @char101. somewhere I found the audio files in English, also recorded by the Venerable. I thought it was originally on the same site but don’t see it now.

I’m glad you mentioned Ven Anālayo’s course. For those who don’t know, he will be offering the next series (next 11 talks) this spring. When registration opens it should be announcd on the BCBS site (see link in @char101 post). Highly recommended!

3 Likes

Do you know if he makes them available, or they are only accessible upon registration?

@samseva
I’m not sure if this is a question to me or not (it’s good to tag the person in the message so they are sure to get it), and if so, what specifially you’re asking. The link to Ven Anālayo’s 2017 course lectures (on the Nibbāna sermons) is here (as @char101) gave. To access his lectures (by video or audio) during the upcoming spring 2018 course, you will need to sign up (no cost) when registration opens. You’ll then get a password to access the ongoing class site where they are posted, which also includes a discussion forum). Otherwise the lectures and pdfs are posted sometime after the year’s course ends for anyone, as the 2017 ones are now.

2 Likes

Ah, yes (and I did click the wrong ‘Reply’ button).

This is exactly what I was hoping to know. Thank you very much. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is true, but the catch is, happiness itself has different definitions. There are happiness from sense pleasures, happiness from good deed, happiness from detachment. So maybe along the way where our wisdom grows, our definition of happiness also changes.

That’s longer than a TL;DR :wink:

but it’s in there

‘Do or not do. There is no ‘try’. - Jedi master, Yoda.

1 Like

Yoda doesn’t seem like the kind for too long didn’t read.

I probably listen to this once every month. Being new to Buddhism and not being in an area where I am surrounded by buddhist friends or teachers, It helps when I am feeling doubtful about my place on the path.

7 Likes

Pretty much any talk by ajahn chah. Even though they’re read in English by Ajahn amaro, the directness and pragmatism shines through.

I also find thanissaro bhikkhu and ajahn jayasaro to be great teachers. It’d be hard to pick just one talk. Thanissaro’s “wisdom over justice” recent talk was great though.

I also strive to pick and choose one of many important talks for me, because what then sounded “deep”, lost its deepness when I fully and deeply understood what was actually said/meant by relistening/practising to the teacher reflections and teachings.
And the point was more often charmingly simple, so to that sense one started wondering who or how big an idiot was listening to these words first time around 
 :wink:

2 Likes