SuttaCentral

What softens your heart and brings joy?

Just being alive, to be honest. My life is better than 99% of my ancestors. I can step outside my house, meditate for a bit, stare at the clouds in the sky for a bit and think about how beautiful they are, and know that everything I need is within ten steps of me. There is so much of humanity that can’t say that, even in the present day.

That realization has led to me become more socially conscious as well. I do not take what I have for granted because I know so many do not have it

16 Likes

When I see old Buddhist art from the Silk Road, that inspires me. Especially if I see some rather striking pieces I’ve never seen before.

k1

k2

Edit: And a really good cup of coffee or tea.

14 Likes

Hugging my grandchildren.
Walking in the woods with my dog.

7 Likes

The Third Noble Truth. :pray: :slight_smile:

Having deep faith and conviction that all suffering may end truly softens the heart. :yellow_heart:

Also thinking about the effort and renunciation that Buddha and some of his great disciples (throughout the history and in modern day) did to share the dhamma and possibility of liberation with other beings truly softens my heart and give rise to Metta. :slight_smile: When I contemplate how much Buddha, or my favorite modern disciples of Buddha/our teachers, like Ajahn Chah, Ajahn Brahm, Ajahn Sujato, Ajahn Brahmali, Bhikkhu Bodhi, Bhikkhu Analayo etc. - how much effort they put to share the dhamma and to be so inspiring by being the best versions of themselves is really uplifting. So deep thank you for that :anjal: Sadhu, Sadhu, Sadhu! This really brings Metta to my heart, and I’m sure to many others as well. :blue_heart: :pray: :innocent:

15 Likes

My bhikkhuni preceptor, Ayya Santini, she is so radiant and beautiful. :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

https://www.buddhistdoor.net/features/reviving-the-bhikkhuni-sangha-in-indonesia-an-interview-with-ayya-santini

17 Likes

Thank you. I too have been experiencing difficulty in meditation. This was a very good Dhamma teaching.

2 Likes

Metta meditation which continues throughout the day even towards the painful and unpleasant feelings and sensations of my body. Metta is an endless source of tranquil, happy joy and it is just there, accessible, any moment, any time, each breath.

10 Likes