What softens your heart and brings joy?

Just being alive, to be honest. My life is better than 99% of my ancestors. I can step outside my house, meditate for a bit, stare at the clouds in the sky for a bit and think about how beautiful they are, and know that everything I need is within ten steps of me. There is so much of humanity that can’t say that, even in the present day.

That realization has led to me become more socially conscious as well. I do not take what I have for granted because I know so many do not have it

16 Likes

When I see old Buddhist art from the Silk Road, that inspires me. Especially if I see some rather striking pieces I’ve never seen before.

k1

k2

Edit: And a really good cup of coffee or tea.

15 Likes

Hugging my grandchildren.
Walking in the woods with my dog.

8 Likes

The Third Noble Truth. :pray: :slight_smile:

Having deep faith and conviction that all suffering may end truly softens the heart. :yellow_heart:

Also thinking about the effort and renunciation that Buddha and some of his great disciples (throughout the history and in modern day) did to share the dhamma and possibility of liberation with other beings truly softens my heart and give rise to Metta. :slight_smile: When I contemplate how much Buddha, or my favorite modern disciples of Buddha/our teachers, like Ajahn Chah, Ajahn Brahm, Ajahn Sujato, Ajahn Brahmali, Bhikkhu Bodhi, Bhikkhu Analayo etc. - how much effort they put to share the dhamma and to be so inspiring by being the best versions of themselves is really uplifting. So deep thank you for that :anjal: Sadhu, Sadhu, Sadhu! This really brings Metta to my heart, and I’m sure to many others as well. :blue_heart: :pray: :innocent:

18 Likes

My bhikkhuni preceptor, Ayya Santini, she is so radiant and beautiful. :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

https://www.buddhistdoor.net/features/reviving-the-bhikkhuni-sangha-in-indonesia-an-interview-with-ayya-santini

21 Likes

Thank you. I too have been experiencing difficulty in meditation. This was a very good Dhamma teaching.

4 Likes

Metta meditation which continues throughout the day even towards the painful and unpleasant feelings and sensations of my body. Metta is an endless source of tranquil, happy joy and it is just there, accessible, any moment, any time, each breath.

15 Likes

I know an old man who was about 90 years old at that time who was suffering from dementia/alzheimer (not sure what was the diagnose the doctor gave him).

There was this one time when it was his meal time. He took some food and gave it to me. Using his human life, he did Dhamma dana by giving an example of generosity.

Another time he excreted some feces on his room floor. His caretaker cleaned it for him and to whom he said “thank you”. The caretaker spread this to person A. Person A told persons B and C and probably many more. I was person B and felt great when hearing this. I supposed the caretaker and others who heard this did too. He did Dhamma dana to those around him.

Why shortens one’s life if he can still do good deeds?

9 Likes

this :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

This is Tara and Lulu.
Sometimes the cat also comes along on a walk.
Those two make my heart melt.

15 Likes

I saw a missing cat flyer yesterday, but didn’t hold much hope for Spencer.
Today, it appears they have had success!

13 Likes

Seeing people do good things, being kind etc. That and pets, especially cats and dogs.

4 Likes

Non-resistance to pain.

1 Like

Hummingbirds. Or, as I call them, “fairy birds,” because when I was young, I felt lucky when I encountered one while hiking. They would hover nearby for a second to look at me, their metallic feathers gleaming in the sun, and then they disappeared into the woods. Nowadays, I have hummingbird feeders outside my kitchen window, and they’re numerous in LA, so they’re an everyday sight to see.

There’s a YouTube channel that has made a particular mother hummingbird that they’ve named Olive a minor internet star. She’s on her third pair of eggs this spring. Hummingbirds, unlike most bird species, are single parents. The female builds the nest and raises the young on her own. The nest is bound together with spider webs, filled with whatever soft materials she can find, and camouflaged with various leaves and debris.

She looks larger in the zoomed-in camera view than she actually is. Allen’s Hummingbirds are only a couple inches long and sound like large bumblebees when they fly by. Their eggs are the size of lozenges.

They only exist in the Western hemisphere, but they are ubiquitous, and there’re hundreds of species that have evolved to pollinate different types of flowers. Another Youtuber is on a mission to photograph every species, and she’s built quite an archive.

Some miracles are real things.

4 Likes

After donating my blood or plasma each time, I feel very good and joy!

3 Likes