What the Nikāyas Say and Do not Say about Nibbāna

I’ve given this very lovely 2009 paper by Bhikkhu Brahmali a little face lift and it’s now available to read online (previously I could only find it in pdf format). There has been some very minor typos corrected and the PTS style references have been changed to SC style ones. Enjoy.

Sorry, there is no new pdf or ebook version yet. It’s on the (incredibly long) list of things to do.

15 Likes

Great! A worthy reformatting. I love what you’ve done with the notes and references. :heart_eyes: Always nice to have these things hosted multiple places.

FYI: The “Preface” is actually an “Abstract” :blush:

2 Likes

Yes it is! I’ll fix it.

Anyone who reads it and finds other errors, as usual, please let me know.

2 Likes

Great work! Raising the standards for Dhamma texts.

3 Likes

Thanks so much, Stu! This is great! It nice that this is becoming publicly available rather than being hidden behind a pay wall.

However, there are a few errors in your otherwise well-crafted work. I hope you don’t mind me pointing them out. In the followng sentences, there should be a capital after the full stop:

… final knowledge. for him, here in this very life …
… right here [i.e. at death]. that, monks …
… six classes of consciousness. for Nibbāna to be an object of consciousness …
… this system of classification. secondly, the perception …
… the difference between them. for what one feels …
… craving — abandon it. thus that consciousness will be abandoned …
… often used synonymously. for example, there are several instances …
… the mind (cittaṁ ). for what reason? …
… defilements which arrive’. might this pabhassara citta be an eternal …
… be referred to as ‘citta ’. considering the centrality of this issue …
… discussion are found at Ud 8. the first of these reads as follows …
… and passed away (atthagataṁ ). feeling is impermanent …

And also:

“3. Nibbāna as the object of consciousness in a special kind of samādhi. I will briefly discuss each one of these in turn.” (The second sentence should be on a separate line.)
… and poetic licence etc. can complicate matters further … > … and poetic licence, etc., can complicate matters further …

6 Likes

Thank you bhante. That’s fantastic. I’ll fix all of those and republish asap
:pray:

1 Like

Small feedback…

To me, the :arrow_forward: is the universal symbol for “Play”. I didn’t really expect something to start playing when I clicked on it, but I also wouldn’t have been surprised if it did. :rofl:

Have you thought about :small_red_triangle: and :small_red_triangle_down:, to indicate that information will unfold and fold back up? The only other thing I could think of would be + and -.

1 Like

Good point. why didn’t I see that! Thank-you. It would definitely put me off touching/clicking it if I thought something might start playing in the middle of reading a book.

1 Like

Credit where credit is due, the publishing journal (Buddhist Studies Review) made the article freely available on their website a few years ago (2014?). Their policy (last I checked) is that their articles are paywalled for four years and are then open to the public.

4 Likes