What Ven. Anālayo gets wrong about samādhi, part II

Hello again Bhante and Dhamma friends. Last week I took Venerable Anālayo to a doctor appointment, and we had a lot of time for conversation on the long drive there and back. Among the things we discussed was your response here in your OP and his thoughts on some of your points.

Because he spends five days of every week in retreat, leaving him only two days to work on his articles and books, he’s understandably reluctant to make a habit of participating in an online forum. But he said that I could summarize his thoughts, if I wished, and post them as a reply. I felt that it might be of interest and potential benefit to those reading this thread to do so, so I’ll pass them along here.

Venerable Anālayo said that he discussed this in his first satipaṭṭhāna book (Satipaṭṭhāna: The Direct Path to Realization, 2003) on p. 81ff (how he knew the page number I have no idea). There are three suttas in the Aṅguttara Nikāya that say that a stream-enterer and a once-returner have not fulfilled samādhi, while a non-returner and an arahant have fulfilled it. This makes it clear that there is a difference between a stream-enterer and an arahant in terms of their samādhi requirement.

We can also look at this from the perspective of cosmology. The difference between a once-returner and a non-returner is that the once-returner is reborn once more in this world (the kāmaloka), while the non-returner is not reborn again in this world, but is reborn in the Brāhma realm (namely, the Pure Abodes). So if, as Venerable Brahmāli would argue, all once-returners are jhāna-attainers (and have not lost that ability by the time of their death), they would all be reborn in the Brāhma realm. This means that the very concept of the once-returner would be meaningless if we were to argue that all once-returners are jhāna-attainers.

In reply to this point, Venerable Anālayo said that when encountering the term samādhi in the suttas, there are several possibilities for interpreting it:

1. Samādhi does not equate to jhāna (e.g., when it refers to walking meditation)

2. Samādhi includes jhāna but also includes other meditation practices (e.g., the threefold division of the path into sīla, samādhi, and paññā, where samādhi covers right effort, restraint of the sense doors, etc.)

3. Samādhi includes jhāna but also includes what the commentaries call access concentration

4. Samādhi just means jhāna

Because samādhi has this broad range of possible meanings, each time we must determine from the context which of these cases fits. So it’s not possible to just say that samādhi = jhāna.

Regarding these comments, he seemed uncertain as to the point you were trying to make. The passage you quoted from DN 18 shows that satipaṭṭhāna practiced internally can lead to samādhi, something that he feels you’re both in agreement on. And I believe he felt that contemplating the samāhitaṃ cittaṃ arising and passing (as per the Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta) can only be prior to entering jhāna or after emerging, which he feels shows that the word samādhi cannot be confined to jhāna. Instead, it must include more than jhāna because it’s included in the state both before and after jhāna.

In reply to this, the Venerable said that he said “even” because this part of the Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta is the most detailed description of the purpose of satipaṭṭhāna that he knows.

Venerable Anālayo acknowledged that there are quite a number of interpretations of this term, but if we go by the suttas, the only other occurrence of this term is in MN 12, where it refers to a path that is straight or direct.

I hope that sharing Venerable Anālayo’s thoughts here might help to enrich the discussion and provide a valuable perspective on these topics. If any of the above fails to make sense or misrepresents his viewpoints, that is undoubtedly due to my own shortcomings!

18 Likes