What was Jhāna, really?

Yes… Sort of … From the abstract …

The best fit between brain traits and degrees of intelligence among mammals is reached by a combination of the number of cortical neurons, neuron packing density, interneuronal distance and axonal conduction velocity—factors that determine general information processing capacity (IPC), as reflected by general intelligence.

So also the speed of the electrical impulses (which is different from the flow of electricity) in the axons and also the closeness of the neurons to each other (because that bit is done by chemistry - i.e neurotransmitters and hence much slower). Fascinating.

I’ve known a few Border Collies who were way smarter than me with seemingly smaller brains :grinning:

But is “general intelligence”, the same as ability to jhana?

Or maybe these different types of brain are just different filters on reality? A dog brain has a filter that is inclined towards knowing the world through smell and a human brain is more inclined to knowing the world through sight.

So they have no brains at all and yet their meditation surpass the rupa jhanas?

1 Like

Jokingly aside they are smart they are not idiot lol

And What’s interesting is the they are not guaranteed to be non returner except pure abode plane maybe because the pure abode gods do have brain because they are in rupa planes

I think brain has more more to with perception the less the perception ability the less neurons you need, in arupas planes the perception is so subtle thus they don’t need brain

1 Like

Hi Rich. Good stuff! :heart:

I am maybe suggesting that: the mind opens up when the brain shuts down.

This of course doesn’t make sense if you equate mind with brain which is the dominant scientific theory at the moment. Having said that, I do note that Anil Seth at the Sackler Centre for Consciousness Science (which is a just down the road from me), is trying his best to be neutral about this and not equate mind with brain when he speaks these days. He says it’s not necessary to make this assumption to do the science. Good on him!

The EBTs do not equate mind and brain do they? I think that they are at odds with the current cultural understanding of this. What do you think?

Has a meditator in jhana ever had a scan? How would we know, when we can’t get two people to agree on what jhana means? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah, ‘knowing’ is a better translation - Sampajañña

Maybe?? But …

2 Likes

No maybe about it.
Unless of course you think you live beyond the body. ‘Mindful there is a body, feelings, mind and dhammas’ but also mindful there is no self in these or anywhere else. Dukkha anatta.
I think a way not to get confused about the brain on one hand and Buddhist psychology is to consider the brain as a physical bio-mechanism and Buddhist psychology as the phenomena it produces. An analogy would be to think of a building built of bricks (brain), you live in and experience the spaces in between the constructed bricks (psychology) and not in the bricks themselves.

Consider both, one informs the other at the interface. You cannot live in a brick and you cannot build with space. Mindful a building exists and mindful the aggregate material is not the self. Mindful there is space but no self exists in space.

2 Likes

Well maybe? In DN15 we get…

‘Continued existence is a condition for rebirth’—that’s what I said. And this is a way to understand how this is so. Suppose there were totally and utterly no continued existence for anyone anywhere. That is, continued existence in the sensual realm, the realm of luminous form, or the formless realm. When there’s no continued existence at all, with the cessation of continued existence, would rebirth still be found?”

“No, sir.”

I guess it depends if there are “brains” in the “the realm of luminous form, or the formless realm”?

2 Likes

Luminous form is in the realm of the brain. Within the space between the bricks with windows to see out into universal space.
Death and rebirth, moment to moment, every five billionth of a second one Bikkhu describes it, the reference escapes me. Death and rebirth in the 12 links, moment to moment, not body to body in material form. Death and rebirth in phenomenological form within the timescale of ones physical life. Death and rebirth many times in that relative material existence. Death and rebirth many times within psychological existence. Remember the nature of the path is to prevent rebirth and cease the many lives of suffering. It’s about having a clear, stable, steady mind. In brain terms the equanimity is the right balance between the hemispheres of the brain. Neither to exist in the covetous right brain of jhana phenomena or in the autopilot world of the left brain. Pursuit of jhana phenomena is craving of the highest (or lowest) order. When the time is right it will naturally occur through good practice, note it and let it go.

2 Likes

Yeah, sure; we can take and use Dependent Origination metaphorically and that can be useful, but that’s not what we find in the EBTs.

For example in SN12.2 the Buddha gives definitions for what he means for the terms used in Dependent Origination.

And what is old age and death? The old age, decrepitude, broken teeth, grey hair, wrinkly skin, diminished vitality, and failing faculties of the various sentient beings in the various orders of sentient beings. This is called old age. The passing away, perishing, disintegration, demise, mortality, death, decease, breaking up of the aggregates, and laying to rest of the corpse of the various sentient beings in the various orders of sentient beings. This is called death. Such is old age, and such is death. This is called old age and death.

and rebirth …

And what is rebirth? The rebirth, inception, conception, reincarnation, manifestation of the aggregates, and acquisition of the sense fields of the various sentient beings in the various orders of sentient beings. This is called rebirth.

1 Like

This is quite clear, breaking up of the aggregates and laying to rest the corpse of SENTIENT beings. Phenomenological beings. Beings that you think you are in the mind. They arise and fall.
Rebirth via sankhara of the said imagined beings. Nothing here to reference relative physical life times. Only imagined defilements of the mind. Imagined, delusional beings, images of self. Dukkha anatta. To be reincarnated or to covet reincarnation is delusional. The wheel keeps spinning. Samsara is party town.

1 Like

At least in the EBT’s, the four main types of mindfulness presented are mindfulness of the body, feelings, mind, and dharmas. All four are considered to be correct, although they proceed from coarse to subtle. This is laid out throughout the Satipatthana Samyutta. The Buddha admonishes others to abide in the four bases of mindfulness, and that this is their own home, dwelling, monkey habitat, etc.

The text in question, SN 47.20, is a rare text in the Satipatthana Samyutta in that it does not list all four types of mindfulness. The parallel in SA 623, however, does include all four types of mindfulness, and it does not equate the pot of oil with mindfulness of the body.

That having been said, all the factors of the Noble Eightfold Path, including the factor of mindfulness, “rely on seclusion, fading away, and cessation, and ripen as letting go.” Seclusion from unwholesome dharmas is part of entry into the First Dhyana, and samadhi is characterized by unity of mind (ekagrata).

1 Like

Then may we all be free of the delusion of “decrepitude, broken teeth, grey hair, wrinkly skin, diminished vitality, and failing faculties” :heart:

1 Like

They have a mind, but not a brain :smiley:

2 Likes

The current weakening of the dhamma is marked by the pursuance of serenity rather than insight.

Insight is only for the few, Conventional and Ultimate reality p 36:

1 Like

Haha, language doesn’t determine truth. Anyway, I didn’t read the other sources you have. I rather keep my faith in Jhanas strong and practice towards it. I think the best is personal experience matching with suttas. Instead of arguing if Jhanas are needed, just practice the path clearly leading to it, and don’t waste time.

2 Likes

Leading to what ?
If jhana is not needed there’s no need to practice anything leading to jhana because it’s a waste of time

If you mean Leading to extinguishment I agree

You have not convince me here do you think a person who knows nothing about pali can know what the Buddha said in pali better than a person who masters the pali or not ?

To Jhanas. There’s more time wasted on arguing on this which can be used for Jhanas already. It’s a risk to think it’s not needed and Buddha did highly praised Jhanas.

Ajahn Brahm knows his Pali, he taught Ajahn Brahmali. Anyway, the more critical issue for me is not Pali knowledge, it’s whether the person had practiced Jhanas, and then able to teach them well.

For the Pali thing, we have so many different translators already, I am not convinced that the truth of the Dhamma is so elusive as to be only found if you learn Pali. The Buddha allowed us to learn the Dhamma in our own language. The deciding factor whether one person is a believer in hard Jhanas or not has more to do with other factors of their practice rather than their knowledge of Pali language. Those who didn’t get good instructions for Jhanas, practiced it wrongly, naturally prefers that the Buddha didn’t taught that Jhanas are necessary.

Or those brought up in dry vipassana traditions which is overly influenced by the intimidation that only a few in so many can attain to Jhanas in the commentaries would naturally see Jhanas as optional. I don’t buy any reasoning from those motivations when the path to Jhanas are so clear and open as Ajahn Brahm taught them. Youtube Ajahn Brahm meditation retreat.

3 Likes

With great respect. I have just read through this discussion with interest. Analayo (2003 pp44-46) Satipatthana, The direct path to realization, sums up the confusion.

“Applying the epistemological position of early Buddhism to actual practice, oral tradition and reasoning, in the sense of some degree of knowledge and reflection about the Dhamma, form the supporting conditions for a direct experience of reality through the practice of satipatthana.”

With Metta.

Well, there was this paper, which was rather interesting:

where they got Leigh Brasington to go through such states and get fMRI and EEG scans etc. of the process. Though, of course, not everyone will agree that this was jhana. It would be fascinating if someone could repeat the process and compare with other (obviously lay) jhana practitioners, e.g. Shaila Catherine coming from the Pa Auk Visuddhimagga approach. I guess the results would be somewhat different but perhaps there would be many similarities too.

3 Likes

Interestingly if you dig deeper you will find the same or similar patterns with the effects of psychedelics and the Kundalini experience. If you read a little closer you will see that these induce the pleasure and reward system in the brain. Therefore the active pursuit of jhana is Craving, Dukkha.

1 Like
  1. Jhanas are stages of letting go. Drugs doesn’t produce the causes of letting go, so it cannot simulate real Jhanas. There was a heroin addict who reported to Ajahn Brahm that Jhana happiness is better than heroins.

2. As Jhanas are stages of letting go, it cannot be craved for. If you want Jhana, you cannot get it (method language). To attain to Jhanas, one has to let go all the way. Anyway, if you become a Jhana addict, the Buddha said only 4 results will happen: stream enterer to arahanthood. It’s encouraged (goal language). Not to be feared.

5 Likes

Respectfully

Drugs are an escape from reality, reality is suffering. An addict suffers without the drugs.
Jhana states are an escape from reality, reality is suffering.
The difference is that drugs are easily obtained and are only a problem is someone gets addicted.

The addiction of jhana states is not the experiencing of them but the craving to get them. One who craves the jhana state never finds it. The issue is not the jhana state but the delusion and craving caused by trying to obtain it.

1 Like