What were the wedge issues that caused the splits that created the early Buddhist sects?

There are a lot of errors in this Wiki entry, but the most absurd of them is under the heading “Theravadin Account”, in which it is stated:

All of the ten points concerned dukkata or sekhiya rules, minor offenses of the monastic code.

A link is then given to Ven Brahmali’s translation of the Cullavagga’s account of the Second Council. But clearly whoever wrote this hasn’t bothered to read their own link. At the Council the monks go through the Vajjiputtakas’ ten points one by one, in each case stating what class of offence it would entail if followed. Only two of the ten are dukkatas and none of them is a sekhiya.
:laughing:

1. siṅgiloṇakappo – the salt-in-horn practice.
  2. dvaṅgulakappo – the two fingerbreadths practice.
  3. gāmantarakappo – the next-village practice.
  4. āvāsakappo – the many-monasteries practice.
  5. anumatikappo – the consent practice.
  6. āciṇṇakappo – customary practices.
  7. amathitakappo – the unchurned practice.
  8. jaḷogiṁ pātuṁ – palm-juice drinking.
  9. adasakaṁ nisīdanaṁ – sitting mats without borders.
  10. jātarūparajataṁ – gold, silver, and money.

Points 1, 2, 3, 7, 8 and 9 concern pācittiyas.
Points 4 and 5 concern dukkatas.
Point 10 concerns a nissaggiya-pācittiya.
Point 6 is unpredictable, for it would depend on what one’s preceptor was habitually doing.

2 Likes

I mean, there is strong competition for the throne of the most absurd thing in this article, but that is definitely a contender!

One of the underlying problems of the Wiki page is that Wikipedia relies on citable academic work. And the academic work on this is just really bad.

I had no intention to do the research on this. I just wanted to retell the story of how the schools formed so I could understand the relation between modern schools better. But every time I dug into the research, it was just plain wrong. The same “facts” were repeated again and again, down through the decades. The most egregious example is the work of Charles Prebish, which is still cited favorably in the Wikipedia article. But his findings were comprehensively debunked by Lance Cousins. Prebish, astonishingly, not only didn’t change his findings, but published a later article where he cited Cousins in support!

It was in fact when I was researching this that I lost faith in academic studies in Buddhism. Up to that point I had been somewhat starry-eyed, and super-impressed by the capacity of great scholars to marshal perspectives from a huge range of diverse texts and tell a coherent story. But I was really forced to conclude that a lot of it was just-so stories, and worse, that the scholars themselves didn’t seem that interested in actually getting closer to the truth. I remember one discussion with Lance Cousins. He cited from the Samantapasadika. I pointed out that the parallel passage from the Chinese version of the same text was different, and appeared to point in quite a different direction. He said, “I can’t read that” and just ignored it.

Obviously #notallbuddhiststudies #notallbuddhistscholars. But some of them, enough to make me much more cautious before accepting so-called “findings” of the experts.

8 Likes

Only the two Sangha councils (samgiti) are recognised in common by all early Buddhist schools. They belong to the period before the so-called schism that began the period of Early Buddhist Schools (or the period of Sectarian Buddhism).

I am unable to see this “an emission of semen while sleeping” is a disputed point of Dhamma regarding the nature of an arahant. It is an individual issue within the group.

If you read the Third Council debate on the subject between the Theravadin and the Pubbaseliya, perhaps you will be able to see that the disputed point really is about Dhamma, not Vinaya.

On Conveyance by Another

3 Likes

Thanks to all involved, I never thought I would ever be this fascinated by a debate on nocturnal emissions, the ways of the Dhamma are mysterious indeed. :slight_smile:

Also Bhante @sujato , I think the issue you raise is almost universal when a field of study is in relative infancy. Not enough people with enough knowledge to call each other’s BS, and one is led by the necessity of one’s own ignorance to rely on others’ BS. Especially when that BS comes with the aura of authority…

3 Likes

Oh, I agree. I hope things are improving.

There’s definitely a limitation when it comes to peer review: there just aren’t enough qualified scholars to check things, and those that are already have their own horses in the race.

All I’m saying really is that folks shouldn’t just blithely accept the findings of modern scholars.

Can you provide some quotes to illustrate your point that Ashoka spoke of a unified sangha?

Minor Pillar edict 2:

Beloved-of-the-Gods commands: The Mahamatras at Kosambi (are to be told: Whoever splits the Sangha) which is now united, is not to be admitted into the Sangha. Whoever, whether monk or nun, splits the Sangha is to be made to wear white clothes and to reside somewhere other than in a monastery.

5 Likes

The so-called ‘Third Council’ belonged to the tradition of Pali Buddhism. It was held in 251 BCE at Pataliputra (modern Patna) under the patronage of the emperor Asoka in order to establish the identity of the Vibhajyavada. The emperor Asoka helped to unite the Sangha at that time.

Note: Only the two Sangha councils are recognised in common by all early Buddhist schools (Sectarian Buddhism). The first council at Rajagrha (today’s Rajgir) shortly after the death of the Buddha, and the second at Vaisali, 100 years later.

So?

Whether the Kathāvatthu is a record of an actual multi-tradition council arranged by Asoka (as its 5th century CE commentary claims, though no such claim is made in the Kathāvatthu itself) or whether it’s something else altogether, is irrelevant for present purposes. The existence of the text suffices to show that in BCE times, (1) there was a controversy about whether nocturnal emissions could occur in an arahant, and (2) the controversy hinged on issues of Dhamma rather than Vinaya. Moreoever, the fact that the controversy concerned Dhamma rather than Vinaya is corroborated in all subsequent accounts, including those of such non-Theravadin eminences as Vasumitra, Vinītadeva and Bhavya.

The schism and the Pali sect’s council were the historical fact, after the second council. To consider there was no schism after the second council, an unified sangha under Ashoka, is in fact a fantasy under the tradition of Pali sect.

As stated above, I am unable to see the content of ‘nocturnal emissions in an arahant or not’ is an issue of Dhamma (according to the Pali text); it is an individual behavior issue within the monk group. To say Dhamma, I refer to, e.g., the four noble truths.

Well, according to the sources I have, the oldest Vinaya belongs to the Mahāsāṃghika and it says that a dispute over the Vinaya produced the schism.

Well, I’ve no idea where this is coming from, but both your replies to me seem to be responding to some point that I haven’t actually made. The question of whether it was Dhamma issues or Vinaya issues that caused the first splits in the sangha is one on which I’m agnostic. I note with interest the views that different scholars express, but I haven’t found any particular view so convincing that I felt obliged to make it my own.

Now the issue on which I have expressed a view is the much narrower one of whether Mahadeva’s nocturnal emissions thesis and the dispute that arose from it concerned a point of Dhamma or a point of Vinaya. If it concerned a point of Vinaya then we would expect the Indian pandits who wrote on the issue to make some connection with the first sanghādisesa rule. As it is, nobody at all made such a connection, and so I take it that the dispute was about a point of Dhamma, namely, is immunity to nocturnal emissions one of the defining characteristics of a male arahant?

1 Like

Doesn’t makes sense to me why you think I’m talking about nocturnal emissions when I wrote that the Mahāsāṃghika Vinaya says that schism was produced in a dispute over the Vinaya, specifically revisions to their Vinaya ( Mahāsāṃghavinaya) by a Sthaviravada monk. It seems as though the Sinhalese Chronicles reproduced the Mahāsāṃghika complaint as though it were their own, directed against the Mahāsāṃghika.

And from my sources, likely the earliest mention of the dispute over the five points leading to schism was in the Abhidharma Mahāvibhāṣa Śāstra. Whether this is rhetorical jamming is apparently still a matter of debate. Seems to me it could be an asymmetric iteration of the tale of Devadatta, since the Northern schools blame him and he’s the prototypical schismatic.

I didn’t think you were talking about them. On the contrary, it was evident that you were not talking about them and therefore not really responding to anything in my post.

Also there are scholars who argue that schism is recorded in the accounts of the First Council in the figures of Subhadda, Purāṇa and Gavampati.

Your sources are incorrect. The Mahasanghika is not the oldest Vinaya. In fact, it is relatively younger than most, and has been subject to a late reorganization, with the narrative contents removed and the Khandhaka completely reorganized. Moreover, the language that it uses, Hybrid Sanskrit, is late compared to Pali.

This is also incorrect. The Mahasanghika Vinaya, like all the canonical Vinayas, ends with the resolution of the conflict at the end of the Second Council.

You seem to be referring to the Śāripūtraparipṛcchā, a late Mahasanghika treatise that deals with some Vinaya matters, and which contains an account of the schism. It sets the schism at around a century after Ashoka.

Had nothing to do with schism. Non-Buddhists had infiltrated the Sangha in search of gains, and were expelled. Schism is when two separate groups of Buddhists hold a separate uposatha to establish independent communities. This happened at neither the Second nor the Third council.

Nothing at the account of the Third Council mentions the existence of different schools or the occurrence of schism. It is true that the account of the Third Council is found only in Sri Lankan sources (the Vinaya commentary Samantapasadika and the Chinese translation from similar sources, Sudassanavinayavibhasa). But the missions activity that is undertaken at the end of the Council was a genuine historical fact, and is supported directly by archeology and indirectly in other texts. This was the act of a strong and unified Sangha in helping spread Dhamma across greater India.

Yeah, this is the Śāripūtraparipṛcchā, not the canonical Vinaya.

Thus proving that some scholars will really just say anything. A difference of opinion is not a schism.

Since it has come up a few times, here is the account in the Śāripūtraparipṛcchā. Once more, this is not a Vinaya text, but a Mahasanghika treatise. It is set up as a legendary narrative, where a conversation is imagined between the Buddha and Sariputta about how things will be many centuries in the future, i.e. when the text was written, i.e. perhaps 400 years after the Buddha. This puts it about 200 years after the Second Council, and about 600 years before the Dipavamsa. (All numbers are very approximate!). I add some comments.

After I enter Parinibbana, Mahākassapa and the others should unite, so the bhikkhus and bhikkhunis can take them as their great refuge, just as [now they take] me, not different. Kassapa hands over to Ānanda. Ānanda hands over to Majjhantika. Majjhantika hands over to Śāṇavāsin. Śāṇavāsin hands over to Upagupta.

This is the standard lineage of the Dhamma according to the northern schools, accepted also by the Sarvastivada. Note that Śāṇavāsin was at the Second Council, which has come and gone long ago with no mention of schism.

‘After Upagupta there is the Mauryan king Aśoka, a magnificent upholder of the Sutta-Vinaya in the world. His grandson is called Puṣyamitra. He acceeds to the throne …

Following is related the story of Puṣyamitra’s devastating suppression of Buddhism, as translated in Lamotte, History of Indian Buddhism, pp. 389–390. Five hundred arahants were instructed by the Buddha not to enter Nibbana, but to stay in the human realm to protect the Dharma. When Puṣyamitra wanted to burn the texts of Sutta-Vinaya, Maitreya saved them and hid them in Tusita heaven.

‘That next king’s nature is very good. Maitreya Bodhisattva creates 300 youths by transformation, who come down to the human realm to seek the Buddha’s path. Following the 500 arahants’ Dhamma instruction, men and women in this king’s land again together take the going forth. Thus the bhikkhus and bhikkhunis return and thrive. The arahants go to the heaven realm and bring the Suttas and Vinaya back to the human realm.

We are not dealing with a strictly historical account.

‘At that time there is a bhikkhu called *Bahuśruta, who consults the arahants and the king, seeking to construct a pavilion for my Sutta-Vinaya, making a centre for educating those with problems.

‘At that time there is an elder bhikkhu who desires fame, always anxious to argue his own thesis. He edits my Vinaya, making additions and expansions. The one established by Kassapa is called the ‘Mahāsaṅghikavinaya’. Taking [other material] from outside and rearranging this with the remainder [of the original text], the beginners are deceived. They form separate parties, each discussing what was right and wrong.

Here the origin of the dispute is ascribed to the redaction of Vinaya. It is important to distinguish this from the Second Council, where everyone agreed on the text, but disagreed on the implementation. This agrees with the Dipavamsa, which also ascribed the split to textual redaction.

Given the timing and location of this in the north, it seems plausible to identify the textual expansion of the Vinaya with the Mulasarvastivada, who did indeed add much new material at this time. The Mahasanghika, also around the same time, removed narrative material and slimmed down their Vinaya, keeping the narratives in the Mahavastu, which is a life of the Buddha that is only nominally a Vinaya text. Traces of the former narratives remain within the Mahasanghika Vinaya, which show they have been removed.

‘At that time there is a bhikkhu who seeks the king’s judgement. The king gathers the two sections and prepares black and white tally sticks. He announces to the assembly: “If you prefer the old Vinaya, take a black stick. If you prefer the new Vinaya, take a white stick.” At that time, those taking the black stick number 10 000, while only 100 take the white stick. The king considered that all [represented] the Buddha’s words, but since their preferences differ they should not share a common dwelling. The majority who train in the old [Vinaya] are accordingly called the ‘Mahāsaṅghika’. The minority who train in the new [Vinaya] are the Elders, so they are called the ‘Sthaviras’. Also, Sthavira is made, the Sthavira school.

Note that the procedure itself is against the Vinaya. A king doesn’t get to run Vinaya procedures, and such momentous decisions can only be made by consensus, not majority. The events as described do not constitute a schism, and the text does not describe it as a schism. That requires two groups holding a separate uposatha in the same sima, with one of the groups aiming at splitting the Sangha by promoting what is not Dhamma. None of this takes place. Rather, the king thinks that monks with different redactions would be better off in separate monasteries. Kings can’t create schisms.

7 Likes

I’m currently working through Sects & Sectarianism slowly but surely. Sorry if the question is redundant/repetitive, but could you date and situate the above Vinaya dispute in relation to the 5 points of Mahādeva / over the arahant? Also, what makes you think that the dispute over the arahant was the major sectarian separating force as opposed to events like the one described here?

Schools spread out across vast expanses of territory and developing their own Vinaya recensions, at times being separated by kings, seems like a good explanation for the current state of things school-wise, so I’m just trying to understand where the doctrinal disputes fit into this.

Mettā!