What's the best English translation for Samvara? (Or, The Meaning and Application of Samvara)

I’ve been interested in this too, for years.

Your point on it being an adjective led me to “kept in check”, which I like, and that led me to “governed”. This word wouldn’t be suitable for saṃvara though, but can be considered for saṃvutā, as in pātimokkhasaṃvarasaṃvutā, which then is rendered as “governed by governing of the Pātimokkha”.

Btw, this is a wonderful resource for finding a better word: OneLook Reverse Dictionary and Thesaurus

Update: Found this is PED:
Saṁvuta
… in phrase asaṁvuṭā lokantarikā andhakārā (the world-spaces which are dark &) ungoverned

1 Like

similar to this idea is contracted, contraction, contract, i.e in the sense that the senses are contracted, brought in close, not loose and spread out, I think this has some support in Sanskrit as a plosive? pronunciation term in grammar, and it allows for “contracted by the contract of the patimoka” which is nice. Probably doesn’t really work entirely in English, but I did wonder if that gave any ideas to others for other languages like Arabic which was mentioned above.

I now think this is a better option: guarding.