When toothbrushes grew on trees: why I'm never using a plastic toothbrush again

Fascinating thread! Thanks Ayya.

I have sourced toothbrushes with either beech wood or bamboo handles, both of which use boar bristles for the cleaning bit - 100% compostable. Yay! If they work out, I’ll be offering them locally the next time I have the opportunity.

I’ll also try going toothpaste free for a while and see how I get on. My water company doesn’t fluoridate our water, but there are natural low quantities of fluoride in our supply, and I’m guessing that I’m a bit old for it to make much difference anyway.

2 Likes

Yeah, re abrasive:

My nun teacher and elderly supporter both come from old-school Asian villages.

They used charcoal (I’m guessing it may have been coconut shell charcoal for at least one of them).

But this has also been noted as potentially abrasive…the reason I haven’t tried it yet. One source said to keep it to once a month.

In the end I will probably just go with bicarb when I have it and mix with what’s available. But there is a lot here for thought!

2 Likes

Thank you Ayya Suvira, for starting this thread and everyone for sharing their experiences and thoughts. It helped me to reflect more deeply and widely on the dental care issue, and consider various option I did not see before.

But walking through my local park where I could take a piece of a palm frond lying on the ground, and seeing dogs off-leash and many pigeons I decided against making a tooth-cleaning device from local palm fronds. But having seen Ayya’s photo I still think it is a great option to know about, it may come handy if camping somewhere. I will ask my Aboriginal friend what things and plants they used to keep their teeth clean.

Fully biodegradable toothbrush and packaged in paper/cardboard is (as far as I am aware at present) impossible to buy. There is one out now at Coles by OralB, that claims to be natural, biodegradable. Box is cardboard, handle is bamboo, but bristles are only 60% natural plant based. Why they don’t make the bristles 100% plant-based I don’t know. Still, that is far better than all with plastic handles.

Having read here feedback on Bentonite, I decided to try again soap, but this time pure Castile soap - and I bought some that is without any perfumes, or essential oils added - so very neutral even in taste.

So far I tried it for 2 days and it is fine, no aftertaste, and all I needed was just one little drop on a toothbrush. So as Ficus said

Here I am sharing a photo with you of my current dental-care kit, now without a tooth-paste but with a little glass container to hold the castile soap and a piece of a marine shell to get drop of it out. Could use an end of a tea-spoon equally well. But a shell is useful to cut a piece of the bamboo-charcoal dental floss, when travelling. I keep the glass dispenser at home, and just take a a meter or more wound on a piece of paper.
Besides, the shell reminds me of my goal - for the Australian White Ibis (sadly called by some people Bin Chicken) and for the marine and shore birds - so I don’t contribute to them accidentally getting tangled in plastics threads and swallow them or larger pieces of plastic and so they don’t feed it to their young, mistaking it for food … and of cause for the purer world for everyone …

It may be seem just a small thing, but why not when we have a choice?

The fragments come from this shell of the local marine mollusc. It reminded me of first spoons of our ancestors and native people living by the lakes and sea shores.

Ayya Suvira, if you would like to try some organic liquid Castile soap and/or the Bamboo dental floss you are welcome to let me know via PM.

:anjal:

2 Likes

I’d encourage caution on using castile soap in the mouth. The mucus membranes in the body are both important and delicate. Even though castile soap is billed as natural and gentle, it’s still going to be very harsh on the lining of the mouth.

What is the problem you are trying to solve by using it? Other than the problem of needing a substitute for toothpaste?

2 Likes

Problem is twofold - using plastic tubes and also Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, which is in all toothpastes I have seen in the shops, even a ‘natural herbal toothpaste’ I have been using recently.
Pure soap, just a minimal amount, seems ideal, because it is multipurpose - we can buy a large amount, and use some also for washing hands, dishes and cleaning the kitchen surfaces in a harmless way.

I wouldn’t swallow it, just as I would not swallow a toothpaste. But thank you for pointing out the possible dangers. I will be more mindful of the effects. I should know in a week or two the impact on my mouth skin lining and then re-evaluate.

Even if it turns out in the long term not as good for cleaning teeth as initially thought, I will remain happy for having tried it out, even if it fails the test, and for having replaced a dishwashing detergent with it. Better for the people and animals at the other end of the water pipes. - :grin: :whale: :fish: :dolphin:

I guess when I said “problem” what I meant was what dental health problem were you trying to solve :tooth:

As far as I know, toothpaste as we know it serves no purpose. We brush for the physical removal of gunk from the teeth. And whatever side benefits that toothpaste might solve (fresh breath, etc) won’t be gotten from castile soap.

As I understand the issue with SLS is that it is also a type of soap. I did try using castile soap for brushing a long, long time ago. It tasted horrible (because it’s soap!) As I understand it, the action of castile soap is to bind to fats. That’s not a problem we need to solve in our mouths.

But I’m all for experimentation! I just think that it’s good to examine what problem we are trying to solve when we do it. Otherwise we won’t know how to measure the results.

All of these dental things are highly individual, too. We know that genetically some people have very strong teeth and some people very weak. And different people form plaque in different quantities. So brushing with a tooth stick will work for some people, while for others it won’t in the long run. I’m thinking particularly about the back of the very back molars. Don’t know how a stick could get to those places.

Happy brushing!

2 Likes