Where can this specific chanting material be found?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxa3kouQ9tY&t=24s

Hi everyone, I while back i made this chanting video but cant seem to locate a chant in the middle section. Does anyone know where a text to this chant can be located? By text i mean the section that is not commonly found in most chanting books. There is the 1) ātānātiya paritta at the beginning then 2) aṭṭhavīsati as is common to Buddhist liturgy (then the part that is not known).,It seems to be some kind of extension of the aṭṭhavīsati( starts at around 3min10sec), at the end there are generic chants that most people know (ettavattā/yaṃ kinci etc)…I used to have it somewhere can seem to locate the text anywhere…any idea? thkns

The monks have inserted the Aṭṭhavīsati in the middle of the extended version of the Āṭānāṭiya Paritta. The short 13-line version the Āṭānāṭiya, commonly chanted in Central Thailand, ends with vijjācaraṇasampannaṃ, buddhaṃ vandāma gotamanti, but in Northern Thailand when monks chant the Āṭānāṭiya on the 9th day of the waxing or waning moon, or in long-life ceremonies, it continues as in your video but minus the Aṭṭhavīsati.

2 Likes

Hi bhante, so it’s the aṭṭhavīsati inserted into the standard ātānātiya Dīgha 32 sutta proper…correct? Thanks for your help

No. What is called the “Āṭānāṭiya Paritta” comes in several different versions, but none (afaik) is completely identical with the Āṭānāṭiya Sutta. In the extended version most commonly used in Thailand about a dozen lines come from the sutta and the rest from heaven knows where. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah got it, you don’t happen to have an English version of the extended version on pdf do you? or know where it can be sought…?

1 Like

It’s here:

Āṭānāṭiya Paritta

The first two gāthās are the introductory verses before the paritta itself.

3 Likes

Bhanthe, do you know how many of the previous Buuddha names come from the EBTs? I’m assuming some of them belong to later strata of text.