Where is Jambudipa?

You need to read this fully -> Read here.

1 Like

I have already read that. But others might get a kick out of it here.

The pseudo-scientific conspiracy that we are asked to read opens with this:

As shown in the above photo, the present day Askoka pillar in Nepal is not the same as the other pillars.

It’s most probably fake. The pillar was allegedly discovered by Anton Führer. Anton Führer was sacked after admitting to many acts of fraud.

Red flags.

If that is the best you can do then then ideally should not be here.

This contravenes the SuttaCentral Terms of Service.

The guy who discovered Buddha’s birth place was either a plagiariser or a fabricator. Either way he was sacked as a result.

No… He didn’t “discover” that the Buddha was born there. The Pāli Canon said he was born there long before.

From the Kathāvatthu:

Controverted Point: That it is not right to say “The Exalted Buddha lived in the world of mankind.”

Theravādin: But are there not shrines, parks, settlements, villages, towns, kingdoms, countries mentioned by the Buddha? And was he not born at Lumbini, enlightened under the Bodhi tree? Was not the Dhamma-wheel set rolling by him at Benares? Did he not renounce the will to live at the Capala shrine? Did he not complete existence at Kusinārā?

“bhagavā lumbiniyā jāto” if you insist on the original Pāli

Indeed. Sakyamuni was born at Lumbini found in the island of Jambudipa.

1 Like

Good we agree. Ancient Indian mythology understood this “island” to refer to be what we now call a subcontinent.

Translate this phrase.

Sāvatthi­nidānaṃ. “Attadīpā, bhikkhave, viharatha attasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā, dhammadīpā

No thank you. If you asked me nicely, maybe I would, but I do not respond well to being ordered to do other people’s work for them.

Your sect deals in misleading translations. I’m much more interested in seeing what you will produce than any normal translation.

atta [singular] with control, in-control, with essence, ultimate truth
anatta [singular] without control, not in-control, without essence
attā [plural] with controls, in-controls, with essences, ultimate truths

This is the Suttacentral translation - not my “sect”.

Sāvatthi­nidānaṃ. “Attadīpā, bhikkhave, viharatha attasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā, dhammadīpā

Bhikkhus, dwell with yourselves as an island, with yourselves as a refuge, with no other refuge; with the Dhamma as an island

SuttaCentral has definitely never produced a Pāli grammar saying that attā is the plural form of atta.

atta gives the idea - aggregate ones mind-clings is meaningful, valuable etc.
anatta is the opposite - futile since the aggregate ones mind-clings decays and comes to an end.

The plural of atta would be a series of thoughts that one thinks valuable.

This can just stand on its own as a quote. It analyses itself.

Jainism is older than Buddhism. They talk about Jambudvīpa as well. They don’t think it’s Sri Lanka.

1 Like

This thread has been temporarily closed while the mods review it.

This topic was automatically opened after 13 hours.

Good point. Never heard of there being Jainism/jainists in Sri Lanka!