Where is the joy?

We may come to the Dhamma because we are disillusioned. There can be a feeling of being jaded, we may seek a less superficial engagement in life and living. There’s a search for the real, the authentic, the truth.

There’s an invitation to come and see - no obligation, no free quote. Those who are busy making other plans say thanks but, my interests lie elsewhere.

Those who have no interest, no curiosity when it comes to meditation do other things. When there’s intense interest and curiosity we begin to investigate - experiment - research. It becomes a major focus in life.

When the benefits become obvious, we are happier people, we enjoy the process, we get drawn into the Dhamma because we enjoy the results.

We may delight in the Dhamma, make much of it, celebrate the Dhamma, derive much pleasure and satisfaction from our Dhamma practice.

‘Ajahn Brahm’ said: he’s a hedonist - he just went for the pleasure. In fact, it’s completely unavoidable.

Ajahn Brahm said: jhana is better than sex!

Bliss is unavoidable as the Dhamma deepens. Like climbing a ladder rung by rung, the last rung needs to be let go of, to move to the next one. There’s an ascent into bliss and, beyond - pure and simple.

As we ascend the beauty increases - its a complete surprise - the sense of freedom is undoubtedly pleasurable, blissful, utterly fantastic, energy increases, ease of being increases and so it goes…

“The greatest of (worldly) gains is health;
Nibbana is the greatest bliss;
The eightfold path is the best of paths,
To lead in safety to the Deathless.” - MN75

Do you sense any exuberance on occasion?

This may be it, the ‘difference’ between exuberance and delight??? I think there is a difference, the former is something arising from within and, the latter ‘seems’ to be derived from what we call the ‘world’.

We may become slaves, preoccupied with looking for delight - out there.

There’s an ‘objectification’ - dualistic thinking. An attribution of delight that is said to be ‘derived’ from the delightful, from elsewhere.

Inspiration can produce exuberance - it’s internal.

Ajahn Brahm looked for the happiest monks he could find before he decided where to ordain.

I heard a story about a Thai-Ajahn who visited Ajahn Chah.

One of the newer monks walked into a scene where the visiting Ajahn was rolling on the floor and laughing in front of Ajahn Chah. I think ‘Ajahn Chah’ had been talking about something humorous. Ajahn Chah was also laughing.

How would you explain this?

I imagine they would all settle down if the laity appeared - to maintain appearances?

In my experience, people laugh and role about when they’re having fun. There’s a lot of delightful conversation that ‘seems’ to take place in Dhamma circles, otherwise, we would tire, get bored and, go and do something else.

Is there a paradox in all this?

Who can unknot the knot’ - anyone reading this? Any ideas?

There does seem to be little discussion about the joy we find in our practice in this group - our little discussion group. Why is this the case?

3 Likes

Perhaps having a look at some of the EBT’s that focus on happiness, and brightening the mind might be a good idea. I know I have read many with this focus including those about purity and virtue. I just can’t remember which Sutta specifically said what - but there are many here who have this detailed knowledge.

Which are your favourite suttas on this subject?

May all our minds tend towards brightness, purity, and compassion

I did a survey on this. See the link below.
Great meditators experience the happiness of the not of the flesh. It is not not necessarily the rolling on the floor happiness.
It appears there are three Arahants (100% happy)according to the survey.

I voted as 50% happy when I did the survey. However it has changed to 60% by some Deva.:grinning:

1 Like

I just found a site with many inspiring utterances of the Awakened-one. It was possible to read these beautiful quotations as merely information. However, I could not help but feel something else seemed to be there, that was unsayable. They sounded to me like ecstatic utterances. Many read- like paeans of joy!

Here is the link:

2 Likes

It is not possible to gauge the happiness of a monk by his outward look as he has the happiness born of Brhama Vihara specially with equanimity. If you strart to look for the out ward happiness of a monk, there is a danger that you end up with accepting a comedian as your teacher.

1 Like
1 Like

Many nice things here (blogspot link), just a bit of a pity that there are no sutta sources or numbers listed just “quotes”. I’m always a little careful with this as there are so many free-for-all quotes, bad translations and texts that mis-quote things re pursuing other agendas, out there.

But it is nice for inspiration, and lovely to see people focusing on the joy and happiness through practice :smiley:

2 Likes

There are many kind of feeling (joy)

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.059.nypo.html

I absolutely love Ajahn Chah’s wisdom through humour. This quality is what attracted me to Ajahn Brahm too. The problem is when you are in a traditional system you have to behave in a certain way. In his talks ajahn Chah had mentioned that if some other monk said what he said (I can’t remember exactly what he said), the lay people would have got upset. He also said in one talk that arahants are crazy like the rest but the difference is they know it through wisdom. Ajahn Brahm constantly has to explain his jokes these days because his talks can be viewed by the whole world, Buddhists and non-Buddhists. Since conventions govern whats right and wrong someone is bound to get upset by jokes and not really think beyond it and take in the pill of wisdom that comes with it.

2 Likes

How old Ajhan Brahm?
In above video (counter 37)did he say year 1920 he was a student
Interesting Dhamma talk.
Interesting to watch the monk sitting next to him.