Where is the silver lining in Buddha’s list of Morality?

Is there a silver lining in the long list of practice that Buddha did? (DN) Because maybe Buddhist misunderstood the massage of Buddha. For householders a silver lining in different beliefs and tradition is easily practiced then for monastics but even then I feel monastics have become too extreme in not having a silver lining in practices Buddha mentioned. There still can be useful practice towards some of them. Just like Buddha still gave verses as blessings and others as against evil. In the same way for example a monastic in Thailand might use a amulet because Buddha image is on it and they bless with the words of Dhamma for extra protection against forces they can’t see.

I want to ask Householders why do you want to or need to practice as strict monks need to follow Vinaya if Buddha gave you the freedom? I mean I know there is possibility of following more of the Vinaya rules. But I think as Householders the freedom is really beneficial to learn about life before you reach a point in samsara that you will become a monk. We need to learn in all areas of life to be ready for that moment if it happens. Not that you miss the opportunity when it comes. Which kinda happened to me in this lifetime for example. Because making life mistakes. So my point learning to be open minded in life opens up the necessary things to make you into a strong foundation. Close minded will shut the paths that needs to be taken before you can advance further in samsara. To even become ready to be saint as householder.

There is no special path. It is only Noble/Ariyan 8fold Steps, by understand the 4 Ariyan truth.

However, each individual has to asses their own experience and develop the path themselves. First step is “Right view”. One needs to understand the conditions for right view to arise before one can proceed to next step. That is associated with nobles and hear true dhamma from nobles with focus attention. Then practice with this new understanding in your daily life.

The rest of the steps is just automatic. If you put effort & associate with highest noble & hear true dhamma, your path will be short. If you just take a slow boat (little effort), then at most 7 existences/lives.

Buddha never gave verses for blessing. Buddha preach for beings to liberate from suffering. This maybe called a blessing for beings (humans and gods).

Amulet or dhamma for protection is not part of Buddha teaching. When you are happy in the teaching, this is your protection here and now. When one is pure in conducts, speeches and minds, there is no fear anywhere/anytime. Even the ghosts or maras will be scared of you. Deva/Brahma will protect you. But no needs to dwell on unseen forces. This may just be an imagination of your mind.

If one look at SN 55 especially SN55.7, one will notice Buddha only taught householder to gain unshakable confidences in triple gems and develop/purify good morality with understanding. Here is the quote:

We wish to live at home with our children; to use sandalwood imported from Kāsi; to wear garlands, perfumes, and makeup; and to accept gold and money. And when our body breaks up, after death, we wish to be reborn in a good place, a heavenly realm.

In this part, you can see that householder during Buddha time is also attached to family, enjoy sensual pleasure of using expensive items, use perfumes, use money and wish to be born in heaven realms. So no different from current householder, except more technology stuffs for current life.

The Buddha taught what can be practiced here and now. That is
Buddha taught how to purify their conducts such as 7 ariyan Sila (morality) on their daily life.

Householders, I will teach you the Dhamma that can be practiced here and now for oneself.

… So their bodily behavior is purified in three points.
… So their verbal behavior is purified in three points.

After that, he asked them to gain unshakable confidence in buddha, dhamma and ariyan sangha. These can be done by keep reflecting their characters on their daily life and/or hear true dhamma from nobles.

No where in Sutta ever show that Buddha forced someone to enter the monastic or practice vinaya. All of them do it freely after understanding the teaching. Also, nowhere in sutta Buddha ask householder to meditate right away. Because Buddha knew, it is impossible to purify mind without right view and purity of bodily & verbal conducts.

Also, in sutta some lay people managed to reach non returner without being in monastic. But their life essentially like a monastic life. Of course after meeting the conditions as I mentioned above.

This is so true.

Also make sure one don’t blindly follow a teacher. He/she might be only a common folk and doesn’t understand the teaching. He will go down to the hole, you might go down to the hole as well. Seen it many times.:sweat_smile:

In the search of true dhamma, one can not be satisfied easily.

Good luck.

Thanks for replying. There is one instance where Buddha did sent Angulimala with a verse that ends with “Through this truth may there be wellbeing for you, wellbeing for your fetus. And there was wellbeing for the woman, wellbeing for her fetus.” .Which for me is impossible that the woman that was sufferings could have considerer the verses said to her as important. But her suffering was still removed. Because she just believed when Angulimala came back with verses. Also we see Buddha giving verses to the monks, with truths to let people stop accusing them. We see Buddha giving metta sutta for spirits to monks. The way to this kinda right blessings and right protection then is Chant the Truth. Chant the Dhamma. Because truth can touch people and make a placebo effect. This is what I mean with a silver lining. The middle path to some of things Buddha mentioned that he didn’t practice. But some of them he did in the right mindset

So in same way if an amulet remind you of power of the dhamma. It isn’t bad to wear them. And so you can do this with many things. Just like Buddha didn’t want statue when he was still alive but Sangha still started making statues after he died. In Sri Lanka for example there was a strong faith towards Buddha statues having power etc. Monks ofcourse probably bless them etc

I experienced how monks chants vibration pass on white thread that they put around your hand. I didn’t even have to believe to feel that something like that is going on. First time I was around monks. I didn’t even read about what they where doing. I didn’t even understand.

One needs to understand the context.

But have you heard DN 9 and AN 3.60 that Buddha and his devotees horrified to demonstrate any magic to others?

…But the one lacking faith and confidence would say to them: ‘There’s a spell named Gandhārī. Using that a mendicant can perform such superhuman feats.’

What do you think, Kevaddha? Wouldn’t someone lacking faith speak like that?”

“They would, sir.”

“Seeing this drawback in psychic power, I’m horrified, repelled, and disgusted by demonstrations of psychic power.

But he recommended his devotees to develop demonstration by instructions. This is one of the finest demonstration.

And what is the demonstration of instruction? It’s when a mendicant instructs others like this: ‘Think like this, not like that. Focus your mind like this, not like that. Give up this, and live having achieved that.’ This is called the demonstration of instruction. …

Like you said you didn’t understand yet about the context in your first quote. Is saying they say something that is not Truth for people to believe and let’s say they probably will pay any amount for that spell too get the same power. Which mendicants in that time of Buddha persuaded people so they get more followers to buy their amulets or spells etc The person doesn’t have faith in Truth. They will say anything. They will lie. So if these verses where from a period where Buddha laid down the rule against demonstrations. Nothing special in that time probably. This quote is not talking against spell actually. Even then the belief toward thinking the spell will do the protection is wrong view. Buddha taught about Mind over Body. And that’s a true reason why a mantra/verses that is truth will have power if it’s understood. It’s just exactly what your second quote say about. It’s a way for people think otherwise. Saying the Truth changes the mind. That’s silver lining. See the verses of Dhamma as instruction that changes a person mind. Because it’s truth.