Which Jataka talks about Dasa-Raja-Dhamma?

I’ve been looking high and low the source of 10 royal virtues of a king like Dana, Sila, Ajjava etc. Many write-ups point to certain jataka, but it’s doesn’t seems to be correct. Does any know which Jataka says about the 10 royal virtues ( Dasa-raja-dhamma)? Thank you.

3 Likes

Hi @flit07,

Welcome to the D&D forum!
May the numerous resources here available be of assistance along the path. Should you have any questions, please contact the @moderators.

With Metta

1 Like

responding because i’m curious but also do not know the answer–i wonder if there’s someone here who knows the jataka in mind!

1 Like

The Nandiyamiga Jātaka (385):

“mahārāja, raññā nāma agatigamanaṃ pahāya dasarājadhamme akopentena dhammena samena rajjaṃ kāretuṃ vaṭṭatīti”

Dānaṃ sīlaṃ pariccāgaṃ ajjavaṃ maddavaṃ tapaṃ akkodhaṃ avihiṃsā ca khantī ca avirodhanaṃ
Icc-ete kusale dhamme ṭhite passāmi attani,
tato me jāyate pīti somanassañ c’; anappakan ti.

evaṃ vutte rājadhamme gāthābandhanen…

The translation is on SuttaCentral, but the root text on SC seems to be missing the stories?

5 Likes

Well, the root text just has the canonical part of the Jatakas, which are the verses. The prose parts belong to the commentary, but for some reason (:+1:) they have been added to the translations.

3 Likes