Which jhana as a boy

You are welcome best wishes

There is no need for undue concern - there is nothing wrong with spirited debate and diverging perspectives. In the Dhamma we think critically, we explore, we leave no stone unturned if we sincerely seek to understand. As long as this happens in an atmosphere of respect and mutual support everything is Ok. We donā€™t all have to be on the same page. Buddhist forums are not like Sesame Street. Dhamma inquirers are entitled to disagree.

2 Likes

Much thanks for the feedback, duly noted.

Just to say, this Buddhist forum is governed by this set of guidelines (Iā€™m hoping Big Bird would approve of them). As youā€™ll see it fully recognises the value of disagreement and allows plenty of scope for that. At the same time itā€™s also pretty specific about the manner in which disagreements should be negotiated and what should be avoided (it also notes, what might give cause for moderators to step in). The best way to avoid concern is to just stick to the guidelines.

Anyway, glad to see thing seem to have worked out peacefully.

All the best. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi all,
I was looking for something else entirely when I found this old blog from Bhante @sujato

I thought Iā€™d add it here as itā€™s very much relevant to the OP
https://sujato.wordpress.com/2011/05/22/siddhatthas-practice-of-samadhi/

With metta

1 Like

Hi Aminah

Could you give specifics on which of the guidelines you think were not being followed?

best wishes

Hi all, thanks Pasanna for the link.

After reading just a few lines, I saw that Bh. Sujato seems to use Samādhi and Jhāna alternately, as if they were the same. This is the common practice, probably based on the definition of Sammā-Samādhi as the Four Jhāna, but I have found another, simpler definition of (sammā-) Samādhi as: any concentration that has the previous path factors. SuttaCentral

Also looking closely at the description/s of the four jhānas, I see ā€˜samādhiā€™ is only used in the second one. You can see my study here: (PDF) Concentration - Jhāna, Samādhi From Comparative Studies of Pali Texts | Joe Smith - Academia.edu

So I would not say the Buddha attained Samādhi (the second jhāna) as a child, under the rose-apple tree, but probably only the First Jhāna and later he realised, the (four) jhāna path, starting with the first, is/was the Middle Way.

best wishes

Hi Brother Joe,

Very briefly, it does not seem appropriate to derail this thread with meta conversation about forum moderation, especially as the issue here has been happily resolved. If you have any confusions about the application of the community guidelines please send me a PM and Iā€™ll respond when I have some spare time.

Warm regards.

3 Likes

Hi Laurence

I found this a very unkind reply.

I do not think it is possible to understand the Buddhaā€™s teaching without following the advice the Buddha gave on study of his teaching. Since, I believe, he said he only taught what was necessary. My paper was a compilation of the advice that I have found and I have, more than once on this forum, welcomed people to point out if they have found other advice I have missed.

best wishes

Hi Alaber

Yes, I agree.

For me, that was his development of the other phases of the path: Once Return, Non-return and Arahant (full awakening).

best wishes

Dear brother Joe, I am sorry if I hurt your feelings. I have benefited from your erudite comments on this site. All the best, Laurence

1 Like

Hi Laurance

accepted

I feel glad I might have helped in some way.

best wishes

1 Like

You have