Which language romanizes Pāli like this?

It’s Pāli, but I have never seen Pāli romanized like this.

Check out this random chunk of out-of-context text and be amused:

Following Buddhist gatha, also called as Buddhist Mantra, can be used for remove any problem in your life. It is called as All Buddha’s Gatha. (meaning of this gatha is : Avoid all evil, Cultivate good, and Cleanse one’s mind - This is the teaching of the every Lord Buddhas!). For get more results from this gatha, you must chant or recall this gatha 108 times between 5am to 7am or 6pm to 8pm,

Sabbapàpassa akaranam - Kusalassa upasampadà
Sacittapariyodapanam - Etan Buddhànu sàsanan!

I am sorry why you are amused about this?

The “any problem”. Any at all!

It is mostly the romanization of the Pāli that I am asking about.

So the title of the thread, “What language is this?”, is misleading, it should be, “Which language romanizes Pāli like this?”.

Something relevant to the OP as it is worded presently, would be:

Πεχ̣ε Ιησοως χ̣ε ευϣδ χ̣οως νητ̣ν́ ν́ϭι νετσ̣ωκ αϩτ τηϣν́ χ̣ε Εισηητε ε̣τ̣μν́τ̣ερo ϩν τ̣πε ε ειε ν́ϩδλητ νδρ̣́ωoρπ ερωτ̣ν́ ν́τε τ̣πε

Guess the language! (This one is really, really, hard. No one will guess it.)

That game aside though, what language might influence the decision to render long vowels with an acute (màdhamika) accent?

As I know, this is just a hold over from the time when true pali diacritics were not available.

You will see this a lot on the Sacred Texts website.

It’s Greek to me.

1 Like

The N’s are also curious too, though, aren’t they? I am wondering if they were supposed to be the character ŋ. One sees that in older orthographies, in addition to a lack of distinction between ṃ & ṅ

Certainly the alphabet is! It was a language spoken somewhere in Africa.