Who are your mother and father?

Considering the development of embryo technology, who are considered as your mother and father?
Biological or legal?

in the popular spirit of dilution of long standing cultural constructs i will say - those who a person (the matured embryo) themself considers their mother and father :expressionless:

2 Likes

The reason I ask this question was killing your mother and father is a heinous kamma.

AN 2.32

“I tell you, monks, there are two people who are not easy to repay. Which two? Your mother & father. Even if you were to carry your mother on one shoulder & your father on the other shoulder for 100 years, and were to look after them by anointing, massaging, bathing, & rubbing their limbs, and they were to defecate & urinate right there [on your shoulders], you would not in that way pay or repay your parents. If you were to establish your mother & father in absolute sovereignty over this great earth, abounding in the seven treasures, you would not in that way pay or repay your parents. Why is that? Mother & father do much for their children. They care for them, they nourish them, they introduce them to this world.

I would wager it’s more about who feeds and takes care of you before you can do it yourself, not whose genes you have or what’s written on a piece of paper.

5 Likes

Thank you.
One of the monks said the heinous kamma applicable only to your biological mother and father.

Well, I think the heinous kamma can still be less heinous in certain rare cases, e.g. when one is protecting their mother from their enraged father and acidentally kills him in the process. There still will be kammic punishment, but there will also e reward, I presume.

There is no reward for bad Kamma but there is dark and light Kamma.

Yeah, your word choice is better. In that particular case, one has dark kamma for killing one’s father and light kamma for saving one’s mother.

"These four types of kamma have been understood, realized, & made known by me. Which four? There is kamma that is dark with dark result; kamma that is bright with bright result; kamma that is dark & bright with dark & bright result; and kamma that is neither dark nor bright with neither dark nor bright result, leading to the ending of kamma.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/study/kamma.html#bandw