Who cares? Meditation app takes over mental healthcare

‘Democratization’ of mental healthcare:

“We are witnessing a mental health crisis unlike anything we’ve experienced in our lifetimes, yet the majority of mental healthcare today is neither broadly accessible nor affordable,”

1 Like

Secular Buddhism has made it’s way moderately into the United States mental health system. It is very much needed, because dealing with the mind is difficult and we cannot leave it to a bunch of stuff people come up with theorizing this or that about clinical problems based on making money off pills. What seriously needs to happen is a serious entrance of the Dhamma into our society, so that people can live healthy lives. The Dhamma needs to be protected, but Buddhism inspires hope. The idea and hope of becoming a Buddha dwells in many people who are struggling with psychological issues, and my opinion based on my practice is that we as Buddhists should help them become familiarized with Buddhism, the right way.

Mental health tends to get neglected. I like that people are talking about this, and it seems to have significant funding. But, I’m not sure an app is the best way to deliver mental healthcare. It reminds me of Amazon putting “mindful practice rooms” in their warehouses for when employees get too stressed and overworked.

A for effort?

1 Like

D for Dolla-dolla’ bills :money_with_wings:

2 Likes

Whether it’s an Amazon mindfulness room or an app, it shows that people are starting to explore creative ways to address mental health. Is it perfect? Probably not, but it’s a great start to an issue that governments have ignored.

Buddhism hasn’t exactly spread like wildfire, which can probably be explained by how many monks hover on the boarder of town and forest. The reduced contact with laity could also explain why so many misconceptions and wrong ideas about Buddhist practice have proliferated. Where there is a gap, someone will step in and profit, but perhaps Headspace is doing more good than harm.

How do monastics fill that gap with right understanding? How do lay Buddhist rock the proverbial boat and initiate changes within the system that will accurately reflect Buddhism and create avenues for right mindfulness practice? Tough questions, tougher answers. Has there ever been a study on mental health in Buddhist countries versus mental health in non-Buddhist countries? That could be interesting!