Why a philosophy professor chose Stoicism over other systems for his personal life

So, if there is no post-death states then you are either annihilated or there is no future state for you if you are not annihilated (arahant?) or you will be unchangeable after death? How do you think you would be after death if you are not annihilated? (Or maybe something else?)

As I have said many times before, I have never been presented with any compelling reason to believe that my personal existence will continue after death. As a result, I don’t spend any time thinking about such a continuation, or worrying about whether it will go one way rather than another.

Fair enough. You can have your own view. All of my questions is to explain what I have said previously…

However, you do not need to believe in what I have said.

1 Like

True. It’s important to have dispassion towards the current states as well because according to the DO it is clinging to current states which will inform what kind of future rebirth will happen, regardless of whether the person believes it or not. For example an animal, according to EBTs can be reborn despite not having any view of rebirth. Of course it is only possible to have evidence of past lives and not future lives, as they haven’t occurred yet!

With metta

1 Like